Review of iPhone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you say you need 3rd party apps for iPhone to have more features, then I think its fair only if you include their cost also in the Phone's price. Then its real cost might become over 35K, not 31K.

But at the end of the day, only one thing matters: features vs money. If you can manage to do more for less cost, you win. Going this way, I think iPhone is not as great as its claimed to be. Its just yet another phone, here to join the countless other phones available in the market in its price range. Having said that, its not really a bad phone, atleast when compared to blackberry.

This is not a review :D
Its just a person trying to clear up his misconceptions about the iPhone
Why cant Apple incorporate those features (given by 3rd parties) which are present on other phones in the main build itself?
Thats the million dollar question :wink:
Regarding Bluetooth, heres an easy explanation I found on iMav's blog:
*www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/07/why-does-the-iphone-have-a-crippled-bluetooth/
To be specific, it is illegal to transfer songs via bluetooth without paying for them
Eg. Your friend's friend bought the song which he transmitted via bluetooth to your friend fo free who eventually gave it to you via bluetooth also for free. Thus, in reality, it's a loss for the artist as he would have two sales in place of those transfers . Thus, he gets the money only for one sale, when he actually deserves two more. This is what (I think) Apple is trying to address here

PS. I know what I posted is old news, just thoght it would help the thread starter :)

Hey, check out this post on Goobi's blog:
*goobimama.blogspot.com/2008/09/iphone-is-cheapest-in-india-you-nitwit.html

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
This is not a review :D
Its just a person trying to clear up his misconceptions about the iPhone
Why cant Apple incorporate those features (given by 3rd parties) which are present on other phones in the main build itself?
Thats the million dollar question :wink:
Regarding Bluetooth, heres an easy explanation I found on iMav's blog:
*www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/07/why-does-the-iphone-have-a-crippled-bluetooth/
To be specific, it is illegal to transfer songs via bluetooth without paying for them
Eg. Your friend's friend bought the song which he transmitted via bluetooth to your friend fo free who eventually gave it to you via bluetooth also for free. Thus, in reality, it's a loss for the artist as he would have two sales in place of those transfers . Thus, he gets the money only for one sale, when he actually deserves two more. This is what (I think) Apple is trying to address here

PS. I know what I posted is old news, just thoght it would help the thread starter :)

Hey, check out this post on Goobi's blog:
*goobimama.blogspot.com/2008/09/iphone-is-cheapest-in-india-you-nitwit.html

that's bullshit. That means even giving pc sync is also ilegal.

Eg. Your friend's friend bought the song which he transmitted using PC to your friend for free who eventually gave it to you via PC also for free or you transfer the song to PC using ipod to pc copy tools. Thus, in reality, it's a loss for the artist as he would have two sales in place of those transfers . Thus, he gets the money only for one sale, when he actually deserves two more. This is what (I think) Apple is trying to address here

goobimama

 Macboy
that's bullshit. That means even giving pc sync is also ilegal.

Eg. Your friend's friend bought the song which he transmitted using PC to your friend for free who eventually gave it to you via PC also for free or you transfer the song to PC using ipod to pc copy tools. Thus, in reality, it's a loss for the artist as he would have two sales in place of those transfers . Thus, he gets the money only for one sale, when he actually deserves two more. This is what (I think) Apple is trying to address here
What people out here don't realise, is that Apple runs the biggest online music stores out there. And to do that, they have to get consent, and basically, keep the music companies happy. Now if they allowed people to transfer music oh so freely, what's gonna happen to those record deals?

Now I do agree that Apple should allow *some* transfers like Photos and Contact cards (and gaming), and I'm pretty sure those things are gonna come in the near future.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Gaming does work over Wi-Fi for games that support it. Apple hasn’t put any restriction on that.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What people out here don't realise, is that Apple runs the biggest online music stores out there. And to do that, they have to get consent, and basically, keep the music companies happy. Now if they allowed people to transfer music oh so freely, what's gonna happen to those record deals?

Now I do agree that Apple should allow *some* transfers like Photos and Contact cards (and gaming), and I'm pretty sure those things are gonna come in the near future.

yep. I agree about that. But that is totally different.

The Fairplay copy protection is there and I don't think you will be able to play the song if you copy it over bluetooth.

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
iPhone 3G is a 'different' kind of mobile for its own audience,

If someone really uses this phone personally for sometime,then he'll really appreciate the unique nature.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@wisecrab

please read this page to see that sharing is caring
*www.magnatune.com/info/whynotevil

some quoted lines which you may find interesting are:
Give to your friends: We encourage you to give 3 copies of any music you buy to your friends

Name your price: you choose how much you want to pay for the music, and 50% of your choice goes to the artist

No DRM: No copy protection (DRM), you can do what you like with your music

Listen to everything: all our albums can be listened to in their entirety before you buy

Musicians get paid: 50% of your purchase price goes directly to the musician, not to labels and their lawyers

Financially support Open Source: we financially support several open source projects such as Amarok and Rhythmbox
I hope internet can be used efficiently for this.

And then there are nuts who will rant against this concept. Live happy in cocoon of apple and windows.

NOTE; Its not the artist who gain much from sales but the publisher to whom is tied for a contract of so and so year. In short if artists somehow can directly reach consumers then there will be much less price for the same album which you bought down the level through tier.

goobimama

 Macboy
yep. I agree about that. But that is totally different.

The Fairplay copy protection is there and I don't think you will be able to play the song if you copy it over bluetooth.
Then why allow transfer of a song via bluetooth? Apple would not like to confuse their customers. Moreover, they would instead use Wifi instead of bluetooth to get things done, cause it is faster. Wifi is already being used for multiplayer games and other small time things so its catching up. I don't see the iPhone interacting with other phones. That's just not going to happen.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
all the songs played on ipod are not copyrighted

There are lot of private artists and song sharing in countries in India is very high.

anyways, why am I arguing over bullshit gadget.

Good night!!!!

goobimama

 Macboy
There are lot of private artists and song sharing in countries in India is very high.
First of all we all know how torrents, p2p and the rest are not illegal as a means. They are meant to share copyright free content. But the end as we all know is real, and is illegal.

Song sharing in India is very high. Almost no one buys music anymore cause its so freely available. So how does Apple tackle this problem? Allow DRM-free music to be transferred while stuff purchased from the store not be allowed? Wouldn't this confuse customers as to why some tracks are allowed and why some are not?

The iTunes store is a big part of the iPhone/iPod experience, at least where the store is available. And music companies are only willing to grace the store as long as Apple doesn't allow music to be copied around. End is, bluetooth is crippled to the point of being useless.

What else does the iPhone have to natively share? Pictures. Now if only they built bonjour-like technology for the iPhone for sharing pictures, where your library would automatically pop up on another iPhone on the same wifi network, that would be awesome.

First of all we all know how torrents, p2p and the rest are not illegal as a means. They are meant to share copyright free content. But the end as we all know is real, and is illegal.

Song sharing in India is very high. Almost no one buys music anymore cause its so freely available. So how does Apple tackle this problem? Allow DRM-free music to be transferred while stuff purchased from the store not be allowed? Wouldn't this confuse customers as to why some tracks are allowed and why some are not?

The iTunes store is a big part of the iPhone/iPod experience, at least where the store is available. And music companies are only willing to grace the store as long as Apple doesn't allow music to be copied around. End is, bluetooth is crippled to the point of being useless.

What else does the iPhone have to natively share? Pictures. Now if only they built bonjour-like technology for the iPhone for sharing pictures, where your library would automatically pop up on another iPhone on the same wifi network, that would be awesome.
I need to strongly protest against the bolded line. Claiming P2P and Torrents to be illegal is like claiming HTTPS, FTP and RSTP to be illegal. They are nothing but server clusters for files if you look at them closely.

Just because a certain type of content is found more in such server clusters compared to the HTTPS which you are used to, it does not mean that its illegal.

And as for buying content via iTunes store, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to buy an album in DRMed lossy AAC format online when for the same price you can get a DRM free lossless CD Audio version. Such kind of restricted lossy music should sell for a maximum of 35% of the original cost, or apple has to start selling songs in FLAC or ALAC formats in iTunes Store.

goobimama

 Macboy
Did you even read the bolded line yourself? I know that P2P and Torrents are not illegal as a means. But the end to which they are used is mostly illegal, and that's what the music companies hear.

The convenience of tapping on Buy Now on the iPhone on any single song, and then listen to it 30 seconds later far supersedes going to a store to buy a plastic CD. The point is that people prefer to buy music online (and don't mind the slight loss in quality) rather than going to a store. 5 billion songs show that it is indeed true.

Now if only India could get its own iTunes store (which will of course, never happen).

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The convenience of tapping on Buy Now on the iPhone on any single song, and then listen to it 30 seconds later far supersedes going to a store to buy a plastic CD. The point is that people prefer to buy music online (and don't mind the slight loss in quality) rather than going to a store. 5 billion songs show that it is indeed true.

please read about magnatune and jamendo.

They both allow to listen whole albums totally (yes there is no 30 second limit or so) and let the buyer decide the price.

You can get music in mp3, ogg or flac. As per you wish and any number of times you want to download it when you have purchased it. In case of jamendo you can even download it for free without a minimum charge.

50% of the sale income goes to the band directly and no other mid agency inbetween.

No DRM, copy to as many devices you want and play it at your will.

Share 3 copies with your friends (though you can share with more than three but positive breeds positive so people actually think before sharing it more than 3 times).

When there is one enforcer then there are many break_the_cycle type minds. Now we call them ripper, hackers and crackers...lolz. They all came into existence from the same flawed design.

Isn't it should be the way things should work. People have a tendency to break the rules and if there are no friggin rules then people do behave generously (most of the times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom