Restoring Display: SUSE Linux 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanty1942

Journeyman
I have SUSE Linux 9.1 (given in Aug 2004 Digit DVD) installed in my PC along with WinXP & Win98 (Multiboot).

PC config: 'AMD 64, 3000+' , Display Card: 'Nvidia FX 5200, 128MB'

Problem : When booting to Linux, the display is out of synchronization.[the booting event sequence message is visible since it is displayed in text mode; the display vanishes while graphical screen takes over] The monitor shows "Out of Range" quote. [I am sure that Linux is booting fine from the HDD LED and login/shutdown sound.]

In Windows this problem is solved by booting in safe mode.
But for SUSE 9.1, I am new.
Please guide how to restore back the display/ refresh rate.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No no no, try seein ut monitor's menu for settin the refresh rate, else, go to some other workin OS and set a permanent refresh there and try..

Else, boot from mepis live cd and in its cpl u can change it i guess...

Else - Try re-installin...

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
mediator said:
Please explain clearly-> Display vanishes??
Yes , the monitor becomes blank before the graphical login screen appears and the "out of range" quote moves across the screen. But the harddisk activity continues and the system accepts the root password . [I know it from its login sound.] When the press the ATX power button it also gets systomatically shut down. The only problem is the monitor can't display the set resolution/refresh rate correctly. Monitor is Samsung 15" CRT.

mediator said:
This may help u *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24989
The above link shows the symptoms of login error which prevents the user for switching to graphical log in. And my system boots fine.[Hence the above link couldn't help me ].

QwertyManiac said:
...go to some other workin OS and set a permanent refresh there and try...
If I go to Win98/WinXP and set the refresh rate to low value will it be permanent for Linux/other OS ? I think the refresh rate set in each OS is independent of the other OS.

If there is any way of setting the refresh rate permanent then please explain.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This link says so :
*www.utoronto.ca/ski/water/software/vj/capturefaq.html
Well, i guess , better see ur graphic card utility for settin that...

Also heres a utility :
*www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

ujjwal

Padawan
Press CTRL+ALT+F2 after the screen blanks out, to enter a console. Login as root, and xorgconfig to configure your display. Enter the details about your graphics hardware, and then reboot and see.

You could also try CTRL+ALT+NUMPAD MINUS a few times, after the screen blanks out, to see whether you get the display back (it cycles through various resolutions).

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
Thank you verymuch ujjwal for your reply. Your answer worked exactly to my point. As soon as I used try CTRL+ALT+NUMPAD MINUS, I got my screen back i.e. the resolution changed.

I respect your expertise.

I don't want to pull this post more long.
But one more query for SUSE 9.1. .....When fiddling with some login screens I somewhere clicked on 'configuration button' or something like that in a login screen. After that when logging in as root - only the YAST control panel is visible. When closing YAST by clicking on 'Close' button the screen goes back to login screen.

However when I log on using the name of the other two users (I have created) I can access everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom