Restaurant bans disabled artist for 'putting off' diners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/12/article-1034504-01E9497300000578-849_233x423.jpg

A disabled woman has been barred from her favourite restaurant for allegedly 'putting off' other customers.

Artist Catherine Blow, 47, had eaten there six or seven days a week for the past two years.

But last week the restaurant's owner, Francisco Conde, declared that he was losing trade because of her presence - and said he would not serve her there again.

Mr Conde said she could only have takeaways. He said: 'She might spend up to £400 a month here, but I lose more money because of the people who have been disgusted by her spitting on the floor.'

He could now face legal action for discrimination.

Miss Blow, who counts the artist David Hockney among her friends, has the degenerative Huntington's disease, and faces ever-increasing difficulties in moving and talking.

A cousin of fashion designer Selina Blow, she lives in Battersea, South London.

She was a 'brilliant' painter before the inherited condition began to take hold ten years ago.

Despite physical difficulties, she could still walk to the Galo D'Ouro in Battersea, and since it opened two years ago had been a loyal customer. She was said to be devastated when Mr Conde asked a friend to tell Miss Blow that he would no longer serve her in the restaurant.

Last night Miss Blow said: 'I'm very upset I've been told I can't eat in the Galo D'Ouro again.'

Her neighbour and friend, fellow artist Mary Fane-Gladwin, said: 'Why can't they just explain to other customers that she's disabled, seat her in a corner, and help her a bit?'

Miss Blow's cousin Amaury Blow added: 'Many people do not want to see sick people. That sort of attitude leaves people like Catherine utterly isolated.'

Mr Conde, 41, who lives in South London with his wife and two daughters, said he had no choice but to bar Miss Blow if he wanted his restaurant to make a profit.

'She has trouble swallowing, so when she eats there is mess all around her table,' he added. 'She wanders round holding her coffee and shakes, spilling it everywhere.

'Then last Tuesday afternoon she came into the restaurant - and her trousers fell completely down. I had to help her pull them up.'

*i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/12/article-1034504-01EC57C500000578-811_468x266.jpg
The restaurateur, who came to England from Portugal 21 years ago, went on: 'I've seen other customers look at her, then just get up and leave their food. When I ask them to pay, they refuse.

'If she rings our number, I'll make up a takeaway and someone can carry it to her.'

A spokesman for the Equalities and Human Rights Commission refused to discuss the case, but said: 'It is illegal to treat a disabled person less favourably because they are disabled.

'But it is possible to argue there are health and safety reasons, or that you provide an alternative service.'

*www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1034504/Restaurant-bans-disabled-artist-putting-diners.html
:rolleyes::(:!:

I for one cant sit up in a restaurant while ppl like her making a mess there. nothing against the artist though.
I think the restaurant owner is correct.he has to deal with his other customers.

every shop owner afaik have the right to "NOT SELL/DENY" to customers if he thinks so. :|

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yeah but the irony is indifferent customers here. Whats the point in denying payment ? friggin cheap posers

goobimama

 Macboy
Well if I were in the woman's place, I would accept some responsibility and not cause any trouble for the restaurant owner. They mention that she goes there like every day of the week, which means that the restaurant will get a bad name. Not being accepted at some place once or twice would be bad on the owner's part, but this case is different.

Sure it is nice to be humanitarian, and sure there should be no weapons in this world, but as we have come to realise, the world is not a perfect place.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think any human beings should be discriminated against. I'm just saying the woman should have a little more responsibility.

(I'm going to get flamed for this aren't I?)

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^responsibility from a disabled....lolz thats funny. You are literally taking away the happiness from her.

Even pregnancy changes behavior but is that entitled to keep the women at home.

PS: I pray that none of u go senile in oldage or die well before if there is any chance :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
^^responsibility from a genetically deranged creature...lolz thats funny. You are literally taking away the happiness from her

Not a nice thing to say. But then the restaurant owner does have a very genuine problem here. I probably would not like to sit in a restaurant where people get away making a mess.

Why mess? Just see the way young couples sit in some outlets here in Mangalore. Almost falling over each other. Not even bothered about their privacy. Are they "mentally deranged creatures" too? I certainly think so :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^responsibility from a genetically deranged creature...lolz thats funny. You are literally taking away the happiness from her

Id appreciate if this line was edited out. As NucleusKore said it isn't a nice thing to say. I personally know a person who has Huntington's disease and I refuse in anyway to describe him as a "genetically deranged creature".

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
K edited, but saying disabled or mentally challenged is too mild to blow strokes on people who think it as some random sickness like cold or something.

There was nothing offensive i meant. Imagine someone abandon you at the age when you are mostly dependent on others and expect people to treat you with whole heartedly.

I am not complaining about the owner but the customers.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I'm not going to justify either point. Your points may hold well in an Indian society etc. but when it comes to Countries outside I'm willing to bet that the children would rather have her in placed in some Nursing Home.

I won't blame her for going to a hotel . If she has some family I hope someone will come to their senses and help her out more. After all luck hasn't been in her favor at the moment she at least deserves to walk around in peace.

On the other hand I won't go out of the way and blame the owner either. I've seen with my own eyes how some people treat the sick. The man did show the courtesy of serving food to her for two years. However I think he could of foresaw this earlier and could have made a special spot for his customer where she wouldn't be a "disturbance" to the other customers.

I did not in any way mean that you meant to offend anyone. What I did mean was changing the usage of the words "Deranged creature" which sounds like a creature from Evil Dead 3.

To everyone else you may favor the owner and you might find that the world isn't a nice place. But God forbid that you ever happen to get the shitty end of the stick like she does but if you were in her shoes today, trust me when I say that there is nothing more worse
than Isolation.

it is difficult to think from her situation :| . reg her to have a secluded room ,already in OP said ,that she is walking all over the restaurant .

Now ,I am sure NOT all ppl are supporters of charity and all.

looking after the weak is considered a wastage of time and a stinking job by many.

yeah.people who put their old parents in "rich homes" is not a old news for most of us ,atleast in kerala :x

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Even if he offered her a separate spot away from others it might be construed as discrimination?? Wonder whether she would like that!!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Even if he offered her a separate spot away from others it might be construed as discrimination?? Wonder whether she would like that!!

I guess thats right too but I meant more in a manner of in a way not to make her the center of attraction for the restaurant.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
If the restaurant owner is ready to provide her free delivery service, it would be way better for both. The lady is saved from the trouble of going to the restaurant every time and the owner is also happy. I mean going thru the trouble of visiting a restaurant just to show that you are equal and all, when you can get the food at home, I cannot understand it!

pushkaraj

In the zone
If the restaurant owner is ready to provide her free delivery service, it would be way better for both. The lady is saved from the trouble of going to the restaurant every time and the owner is also happy. I mean going thru the trouble of visiting a restaurant just to show that you are equal and all, when you can get the food at home, I cannot understand it!

i completely agree. She cud hav or the restaurant cud hav arranged a home delivery service for her so that she did not hav to come up to the restaurant daily for 2 years. Strange!!!!

I am fully supportive of the restaurant owner. He was just concerned about the resteraunt economies. But at the same time, he was not inconsiderate. He was willing to send food to her home if she ordered any. So I think his actions show a perfect balence between caring for one's own self and caring for another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom