Requires 20 TB RAID at low cost

sukumarreddy

Broken In
Hi friends,
I want to purchase 20TB of RAID at lower cost. Performance is not important. Can you please suggest some models in the market .I know about only about single hard disk.Can you guys help me.

d3p

PowerHouse
What do you mean by Lower Cost ??

Mention your budget & where are you planning to use this ?

BTW which raid are you planning to use ?

I have seen RAID 5 & RAID 10 & a Hybrid RAID @ industries level or in software companies, but please be specific.

OP
S

sukumarreddy

Broken In
Very very thanks for reply.....

Lower cost mean, i don't know the cost of these kind of RAID arrays. roughly estimated as 20 x 1TB cost(~60k). But i require only storage is important not the performance.

It is to store movies and music not for business purpose.

I don't know about types of raid systems people are using.

My friend said that, it requires some setup in addition to hard disks that cost around 1 lack.
I am trying to avoid that costly setup.

Is there any motherboard, which you can connect multiple hard disks at a time for home purpose.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^answer the questions dep5kor gave.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

BTW you are in IIT bombay?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah the dude is in IIT bombay but his post is an aberration if true.

OP
S

sukumarreddy

Broken In
I had just completed (in 2010) my M.Tech in IIT MUMBAI. My profile is not updated.

Earlier posted message not consists of my full message what i had written.
sorry for that.

^^answer the questions dep5kor gave.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

BTW you are in IIT bombay?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

d3p

PowerHouse
Hello Mr IIT-ian, [Feeling jealous of you, coz i didn't get selected.]

Anyway if you have a budget of 60k, then go with these options.

1. Western digital Cavair green (2TB x 10) 7200RPM, 64mb Cache - Verify the pricing

Pick any high end motherboard from Asus or Gigabyte ; these MOBO's supports 10 - 12 Sata Ports.
Get a High end SMPS like 1000w or something.

Then select a Proper Housing & Cooling for them & Connecting them in RAID is so easier.

I think with these way your budget gonna swing to 70-80k, but possible.

2. NAS [Network Storage]

But NAS is pretty costlier as well as Nasty & they comes with nice casing.

ex: *www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148667

I will check out proper Housings & coolings & let you know, till then check your budget once again.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
20TB for movies and music :eek:

Specifically tell us how you intend to use those HDD? Are you RAIDing it for backup (Mirror RAID)? This will cut space in half, as two copies of data will be made.

If you are RAIDing it, then you will probably need a RAID controller. The onboard mobo RAID controllers are pretty bad.

I am guessing you just want 20TB of plain storage without RAID.

OP
S

sukumarreddy

Broken In
Thanks man. thats what i want.
And one more thing, which OS i have to install for this setup.

Hello Mr IIT-ian, [Feeling jealous of you, coz i didn't get selected.]

Anyway if you have a budget of 60k, then go with these options.

1. Western digital Cavair green (2TB x 10) 7200RPM, 64mb Cache - Verify the pricing

Pick any high end motherboard from Asus or Gigabyte ; these MOBO's supports 10 - 12 Sata Ports.
Get a High end SMPS like 1000w or something.

Then select a Proper Housing & Cooling for them & Connecting them in RAID is so easier.

I think with these way your budget gonna swing to 70-80k, but possible.

2. NAS [Network Storage]

But NAS is pretty costlier as well as Nasty & they comes with nice casing.

ex: Newegg.com - Seagate STAU12000100 12TB BlackArmor 440 Network Storage

I will check out proper Housings & coolings & let you know, till then check your budget once again.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Your solution is good.But the cost is high.
Similar post Best (and cheapest) solution for a large amount of storage (10-20tb) [Archive] - MacRumors Forums

These storage is used to store movies and documentaries related to SEVABHARATHI organisation. Actually the organisation will use this storage, not me.

20TB for movies and music :eek:

Specifically tell us how you intend to use those HDD? Are you RAIDing it for backup (Mirror RAID)? This will cut space in half, as two copies of data will be made.

If you are RAIDing it, then you will probably need a RAID controller. The onboard mobo RAID controllers are pretty bad.

I am guessing you just want 20TB of plain storage without RAID.

d3p

PowerHouse
Hey Mr. IIT-ian,

Use Ubuntu, if looking for open source, go with Win 7 x64, but paid.
I verified the local pricings of the Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 32mb cache - 3.9k

So for you now, it will be easier.

10 x 2TB = 39k or still lesser, because of the quantity.

Highend Mobo - 10k,

high end SMPS -9k

Take any local case to some workshop to modify as per your need - 4k.

But for all these things you gonna require a full computer with i7 Sandybridge Conf.

May be Jas, or Vicky can help you on this.

Finally the budget is going to swing to 1Lac, if you don't have a PC.

OP
S

sukumarreddy

Broken In
Thanks for your solution.

Is there any hardware to connect on normal MB(~4K), which controls the multiple hard disks and more options to connect hard disks, Instead of buying high end MB and processor.

Hey Mr. IIT-ian,

Use Ubuntu, if looking for open source, go with Win 7 x64, but paid.
I verified the local pricings of the Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 32mb cache - 3.9k

So for you now, it will be easier.

10 x 2TB = 39k or still lesser, because of the quantity.

Highend Mobo - 10k,

high end SMPS -9k

Take any local case to some workshop to modify as per your need - 4k.

But for all these things you gonna require a full computer with i7 Sandybridge Conf.

May be Jas, or Vicky can help you on this.

Finally the budget is going to swing to 1Lac, if you don't have a PC.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
First of all, let us know, whether you have any PC or not ?

Then mention the Configurations properly, which will help us to understand & answer your queries.

Top Bottom