Requirements for ATi HD4850!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgame2

Padawan
is it ok to for CM EP500W???? which others options do i have???

u have the option of CM600 will cost u about 3.2k and corsair vx450W will cost u about the same ...other than that i don't think anything is worth considering if tight on budget ...choose CM500W ...

Go for GeCube, better customer support than Palit.
how can u say that ??? both palit and gecube cards are sold in india mostly by tirupati ..so they will provide the same warranty i guess ...???:confused:

gecube availablity is very scarce these days ....

Last edited:

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
First change ur PSU/SMPS - I'd recommend min 600W PSU of C.M. / Corsair / Tagan.

About the graphics card :

IF u don't want major accessories like Cross-fire cable , HDMI adapter , s-vid to 3 component , s-vid to co-ax then better buy palit coz plait gives only 2 cables with 1 power cable.
I first bought the palit one but then replaced it with Sapphire HD4850.
I bought Sapphire HD4850 with the new dual slot fansink as it has all the major cables and accessories bundled - hence , i guess , its abit costly.
MSI is also a good option as it too gives all accessories!

imgame2

Padawan
Sapphire is the best IMO.....

not so much the case with HD4850/HD4870 ...as sapphire is still selling cards with older bios (i know atleast two of my friends who bought sapphire last week and face this problem)..which makes the card run hot and noisy ...no such problem with palit and gecube ...right now ...they run cool and without any noise ...if one can find the sapphire with latest manufacturing date its well and good ..else they run into problem....

off the topic - u said GRAW2 fails to start on HD4850 ....well my system(with palit HD4850) runs it fine with all settings max @1280x1024 @about 80 FPS...with software PhysX...which i think is decent enough for me ...:)

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
guys one more if i want to go crossfire l8r which psu shud i buy then??? at which price point???

first of all ur mobo has only one PCIE slot ...so u will have to change the mobo ..and a crossfire ready mobo will cost u about 8k now(approx.) ... and to run two HD4850 u will need atleast 550W of constant power ...so u will need atleast CMextereme650W for about 5k ...but i will suggest corsair 620W or tagan 600W for about 6.2k ...it will atleast make sure u get constant power to both the cards ...

out of personal curiousity why do u want to crossfire ...?? what is ur monitor size ?? for size upto 22" to 24" HD4850 is powerfull enough card to play all games with decent frame rates...unless u are a professional gamer ...

u might like to check out the review here ...
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-radeon-hd4850-cf_4.html#sect0

Last edited:
OP
george101

george101

Good Boy
i dnt plan to go crossfire nw... may b aftr 1 or 2 years may b... just asked out of curiousity.... thanx for helping.....

Power_user_EX

@ imgame2

You pointed out the exact reason that made all G-card manufacturers change the card design and heatsink.

The heating problem was with reference model only.

Since then all the G-card makers viz MSI , PALIT , SAPPHIRE ,(may be Asus & Gigabyte also), Etc... have made modifications with layout as well.

About the bios - i don't know much about that.
My card has the newest bios and also sapphire had released new bios for their toxic series and i guess will also release it for 4850 in future if the current one is still faulty.

It all depends on the drivers - the latest is catalyst 8.8 and the unofficial hotfix for 8.8 which ill be trying in some time.

But AFAIK the main prob frying the cards was the reference cooler and layout. The fan was set to med rpm by default - a little bit of changes in the g-card profile w.r.t fan speed in catalyst - the higher fan speed made it a lot cooler!

My sapphire HD4850 card runs cool as expected with a big dual slot fan/heat-sink.

I guess sapphire had made some bios changes also along with pcb and fansink changes if at all there is something like a bios for a g-card.

imgame2

Padawan
@ imgame2

You pointed out the exact reason that made all G-card manufacturers change the card design and heatsink.

The heating problem was with reference model only.

Since then all the G-card makers viz MSI , PALIT , SAPPHIRE ,(may be Asus & Gigabyte also), Etc... have made modifications with layout as well.

About the bios - i don't know much about that.
My card has the newest bios and also sapphire had released new bios for their toxic series and i guess will also release it for 4850 in future if the current one is still faulty.

It all depends on the drivers - the latest is catalyst 8.8 and the unofficial hotfix for 8.8 which ill be trying in some time.

But AFAIK the main prob frying the cards was the reference cooler and layout. The fan was set to med rpm by default - a little bit of changes in the g-card profile w.r.t fan speed in catalyst - the higher fan speed made it a lot cooler!

My sapphire HD4850 card runs cool as expected with a big dual slot fan/heat-sink.

I guess sapphire had made some bios changes also along with pcb and fansink changes if at all there is something like a bios for a g-card.

whats ur BIOS version and when u bought the card ???

also how much is toxic available for ...? and for how much u got ur card for ..??

Power_user_EX

i got it for 11.5k.

Also ill post all the pics of catalyst and the card in 1 or 2 days.

Haven't checked the bios nor flashed the bios till now.

New Bios (unofficial) for hard OC r available on net for 4850 - to be flashed using AtiFlash. If ever u use it - use it at ur own risk!

Also dude

Plz don't Quote long replies like that of mine - it make the thread redundant and un-readable. Just point at the person u want to reply using @ which i prefer more.

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
i got it for 11.5k.

with that price point a plain palit HD4850 with a aftermarket cooler like Accelero S1 Rev. 2 (available @ lynx for about 1.5k) will be cheaper and more efficient anyday....not that palit HD4850 needs it but if someone really want some great cooling solution ..its much better than a simple dual slot cooler..

Haven't checked the bios nor flashed the bios till now.
i m not saying to flash ur BIOS... just asked the version cos the one which is latest comes with a better FAN profile curve and u don't have to do any fan tweak or anything to make the card run cool,i know this cos my friends bought sapphire cards last week ..with older BIOS and facing problems...hence i said to people buying sapphire with latest manufacturing DATE!...or else they might run into problem ...:rolleyes:
why trouble heading into problem when u can avert it ??

New Bios (unofficial) for hard OC r available on net for 4850 - to be flashed using AtiFlash. If ever u use it - use it at ur own risk!
i don't need to flash my BIOS for my palit HD4850 as it runs cool and the resolutions i play at...it performs quite well to my satisfaction in all games.

Also dude

Plz don't Quote long replies like that of mine - it make the thread redundant and un-readable. Just point at the person u want to reply using @ which i prefer more.
aye sir! anything else i can do for u sir??:grin:

^^ Be very careful while OC'ing. Better use ATI overdrive's auto tune option before manual OC.

^^+100 ...moreover one doesn't need to overclock the card ..its very powerful for resolutions at which most people will play ..only perhaps for CRYSIS ..it might need overclocking if one plays it at high resolution like 1680x1050 or higher just to have all eye candy turned on ...

Last edited:

demonkingfromhell

COOKING WITH HUMAN HEADS
First change ur PSU/SMPS - I'd recommend min 600W PSU of C.M. / Corsair / Tagan.

About the graphics card :

IF u don't want major accessories like Cross-fire cable , HDMI adapter , s-vid to 3 component , s-vid to co-ax then better buy palit coz plait gives only 2 cables with 1 power cable.
I first bought the palit one but then replaced it with Sapphire HD4850.
I bought Sapphire HD4850 with the new dual slot fansink as it has all the major cables and accessories bundled - hence , i guess , its abit costly.
MSI is also a good option as it too gives all accessories!

hey man dont mistake me that i saw ur last thread that u dont know about palit that what u expected model was not given , u bought that palit is new cooling and new bios tech from palit it is far more advanced to sapphire"it is very old bios and low perf than palit"dont see the outlook seek the performance ok ... palit gives more fps than sapphire in cysis .. check that you unknowingly returned for that dont tell any one to go for sapphire ok ,, all other stuffs can purchase for 400 bucks

Crazylegs 325

Right off the assembly line
hi all i have just purchased a hd 4850 and it runs for about five minutes in game and then just restarts itself, any suggestions as to wot it could be ?

1gb socket am2+ motherboard, 3gd of ram, 500gb hard drive, am2 dual core 6400, 600w power supply, xp home.

girish_b

Journeyman
I got my Palit Hd 4850 Sonic from theitwares.com. I was able to run it with an Coolermaster EP 600, but I later wen for an Corsair HX 620.

Works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom