Reference Guide on How to Share DataOne Connection....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
infra_red_dude said:
Oh.. thats a complicated map. This was not what you had told me! You said you haf 2 computers and one access point connected to the adsl router. Desktop connected to the wifi router thru cable and the laptop via wireless card. Is this correct?

yea its correct and the map is also correct. the map shows the switch and wifi router as two spearate devices but its actually one :)
Yes, set the zone to Local network (which enables file sharing) in KIS.
ok its was my mistake that I didnt take notice of KIS firewall and I appologise for not mentioning that. The problem is fixed now , the network 192.168.1.0 was set as internet so the filesharing was not working. thanks to you guys an choto , my problem is fixed :) .. sorry again for not giving correct information :(

EDIT: its was easier to access my vista shared folders on ubuntu using samba , absolutely no problem at all. but I cannot getinto the linux shared folders via vista with my linux username and password :(.

Dataone also works perfectly :D

Last edited:

vizard356

Right off the assembly line
Here is my problem.

I Have One Desktop-PC(WinXP) with one LAN-Card
and
One Laptop(Vista Home-P) With In-built Lan-Card.

I Have sat up Small Home and Office Connection with ICS enable between this two computer.

Desktop is connected to modem(BSNL broadband) through USB connection.

I have also assign IP address, default gateway everything according to tutorial.

Here is what it show on the vista network map.
*img244.imageshack.us/img244/5732/88970876ix6.th.jpg
(Note: 1 is Notebook and 2 is Desktop PC)

Although Desktop-PC is connected to Internet but in Vista Map it shows It is not Connected.

I tried a lot but with success.

Thank You.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the difference between Router & gateway ?

How to use use router & gateway. ? web resource required.

How much does one router & one gateway costs ? For 6-10 pcs setup. just curious.

Can anybody elaborate..

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
What's the difference between Router & gateway ?

Dont get confuse, they are just simple tech terms...

Getway is a place via which you get out of your Internal (LAN / WAN) network to a external network, which may be an extranet or Intranet or Internet...

Router is a device :) which allows you to get out from your Internal network...

in this case, Getway is identified by the an IP address :D where as the router is the ADSL modem which u use :)

How much does one router & one gateway costs ? For 6-10 pcs setup. just curious.

Router can cost from Rs. 800/- (simple basic ADSL modem) to few lakhs :lol: some heavy duty ISP back end device :lol:

Getway's are vertual, like the Internet connection is a getway for your local network to comunicate with another external network or PC... so BSNL broadband is a getway for u :lol: which starts from Rs. 250/- + TAX per month :D

depends on ur need... as what do u wish to do ?? just to share the dataone between those PCs ??

then as u know getway is a dataone plan :) where as router is a modem (Rs. 1200/- for BSNL Type-I) and u would need to have a switch :D 8 port swicth for 8 PC would cost Rs. 1200/- :)

@vaibhavtek

thnx for the comment :)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Thanks Saurav. Very useful info you've provided.

By the way can you give me a few website links to configure simple routers and gateways ie those in the range of Rs.5000 to share broadband connection.

I am not asking about cisco routers :D.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Get your self BSNL Type-IV modem :D it will act as hub / switch as it comes with option to connect 4 LAN and comes with Wifi I guess upto 10 wifi connection is possible :)

if U have more than 4 PC which needs connection then buy a BSNL Type-I modem and buy a 8 Port Switch (d-link) may cost Rs. 1200/- for 8 port switch :)

all available in Kolkata local market any store :) apart from the BSNL modem which comes with BSNL broadband connection :)

Get your self BSNL Type-IV modem :D it will act as hub / switch as it comes with option to connect 4 LAN and comes with Wifi I guess upto 10 wifi connection is possible :)

if U have more than 4 PC which needs connection then buy a BSNL Type-I modem and buy a 8 Port Switch (d-link) may cost Rs. 1200/- for 8 port switch :)

all available in Kolkata local market any store :) apart from the BSNL modem which comes with BSNL broadband connection :)
but even the type-I modem, the standard issue, is enough for two computers as it has an ethernet port as well as an USB port. This is useful in laptop + PC scenarios, where the PC is connected to the ethernet port, and the USB port can be used for the Laptop.

BTW, does any modem(BSNL) support one of the PCs connected to it accessing other PCs connected to it via LAN ?

hyde

Broken In
Well I am a little confused...

I have a Router with 4 Ports and 4 Cables provided with the modem. And I have a Desktop with XP Pro and a Laptop with XP Pro.

Now I have my Router connected to the desktop and using the Bridge mode to connect. And if I connect my Laptop to the Router it says connected but is not able to go online at the same time neither it can browse my Desktop.
Please help...

chahal63

Broken In
sharing internet connection

hi all
i have two pc and one internet connection my modem is on usb and pcs are connected through lan please tell me steps acc to xp os to share a internet connection on both pcs and my modem is a cable modem having static ip configuration

janki2008

Broken In
Re: sharing internet connection

How about using a Proxy Server ? I guess you'll need a name as well go here *www.multiproxy.org/ (it's small & fast)

You need to find FREE Proxy List only dis-advantage of above proxy. Otherwise is toooo good.... Give it a try

Janki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom