Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
"A friend said to me recently that 'Firefox is for the home, Internet Explorer is for the office.' His comments reflect commonly found stigma and fears that free and open source software--and Linux too--are not suitable for a business environment. Let me set the record straight, giving real feedback from companies who have made the switch and don't look back.

"Before we consider business vs personal use, why do people use Microsoft Windows anyway...?"

Source with Full Article : ITWire

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I say the question is a bit too late.

Many businesses and corporations are already running on Linux for many a long ago. ^_^ [..albeit not in India...]

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Re: Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?

Hitboxx said:
Many businesses and corporations are already running on Linux for many a long ago.

The Article does mention that and they take feedback from those who have already moved. I guess you didn't read the whole article :(

Re: Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?

let me take this answer to its actual place: linux is much more suited to run in business and IT companies than home, due to its lack of games.

IT companies need functionality, not games. Linux has the following for businesses:

1. lack of viruses

2. distros available for multiple hardware configurations. Pentium II to Octo Core workstations, and even supercomputers.

3. excellent unix style user-admin privilage based administration - suited best for offices. This feature came in linux only because at the time of linux's developement, UNIX, its role model, was ment for work, not home use.

4. High security and firewall built into kernel. Unix style again shows its use.

5. Much easier to modify the OS, as source code and tips are freely available compared to windows. Custom distros are ideal for companies which seek special environments.

6. comming to small businesses employing those who hardly use computers, linux is easier to learn than windows. Such newly computer-literates are lucky because they can get a familiar free OS for their new PC. If they were using windows at office, they would be compelled to buy it for home too. Linux helps them save money.

7. Incase they can't customise the OS themselves due to lack of programming knowledge, special Distros easily available in the net for different perposes. Dyne:Bolic and Ubuntu Studio can easily find a place in bollywood. Knoppix DVD for the computer technitians. Fedora/Debian for the workstations. Vector Linux SOHO excellent for low cost PCs which find places in small office like environments like real estate, etc.

8. In IT companies which have direct from collage intake of employees, you can use linux for training new employees in program management, OS hacking, tweakingmetc because you don't need to get a licence from microsoft in case you are using windows.

9. The fact that linux is freely available itself ensures thattechnology solutions your company makes can run on ALMOST ALL SYSTEMS. So you can reach a wider audience.

10. Its much easier making custom programs for linux, because of freely available OS source code and lots of sample codes from already existing OSS. In windows you need to follow the MS way to make programs.

11. Paid technical support available for those who want it.

12. You have latest software even for old hardware. So no hardware upgrade blues while going for a newer OS.

praka123

left this forum longback
did u forgot Linux supports 64-bit better than any other os that too when no other OS supports it? :)

praka123 said:
did u forgot Linux supports 64-bit better than any other os that too when no other OS supports it? :)
dude, I will end up running an electricity bill of RS 1000 for the comp alone before I finish typing all of linux's features, that too without copy pasting or copy typing.
you type if you want, but idhar haath dard ho raha hai be sale. Do you plan to kill my precius hands?

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
It's not just old hardware that linux is compatible with which is a major misconception. Linux runs perfectly on the 8core cell processor and it's already running on IBM blade servers which utilize the power of cell processors around the world. Neither Windows nor OSX can run on these type of advanced hardware!

Linux is completely scalable from mutlicore systems to even mobile phones and smaller devices. I hope you all know that the Nokia N800 also uses Linux. :D

Cyrus_the_virus said:
It's not just old hardware that linux is compatible with which is a major misconception. Linux runs perfectly on the 8core cell processor and it's already running on IBM blade servers which utilize the power of cell processors around the world. Neither Windows nor OSX can run on these type of advanced hardware!

Linux is completely scalable from mutlicore systems to even mobile phones and smaller devices. I hope you all know that the Nokia N800 also uses Linux. :D

ecept for the last N800 bit, I already told what you told.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

MetalheadGautham said:
ecept for the last N800 bit, I already told what you told.

Where yaar, I don't see it in your post:confused:

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

MetalheadGautham said:

ohhh.. k.. I thought you said the othe way round(that you said N800).. anyways.. sorry for the repetation but I guess I was elaborating on it. :D

I still think this OSS bit has gone a bit too far concidering only USA as the country for focus.

Linux MiNT, Freespire, etc are not illegal in India because software patent laws like the one they are violating don't apply in India.

Bharat Mata Ki Jai:D

praka123

left this forum longback

....Hindustan Ki Kasam!software patents Murdabad!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
^^That's because

1. They are too used to Windows and the way things are done that they expect Linux to behave just like that
2. They have never used it or aren't even aware of it.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^If my friends,who don't even know whats the difference between an operating system and a simple application, can use linux for more than a month Then I guess anybody can use it without feeling alien or anything.Personal views though.Kids will always cry for their mommas...you really can't help it.

praka123 said:
....Hindustan Ki Kasam!software patents Murdabad!
not only software patent but every kind of patent stinks man.Patents are USA's way of showing the world that they are the big boss.We knew from thousands of years of years that neem and turmeric is good for this and that but no american companies had them patented and now nobody in India can use them commercially iirc.Patents stink IMO.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

The_Devil_Himself said:
not only software patent but every kind of patent stinks man.Patents are USA's way of showing the world that they are the big boss.We knew from thousands of years of years that neem and turmeric is good for this and that but no american companies had them patented and now nobody in India can use them commercially iirc.Patents stink IMO.
Patents are there to protect the original inventor but nowadays, patents are there to kill your rivals in business.. I mean like some company is suing novell for making mulitple workspaces on a linux desktop? I mean WTF? only one single OS in the world can do that? Can't anyone else create an OS with multiple workspaces!!

BTW, there's already another thread running about patent issues: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74211

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom