Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^this is not how actually things work actually,suppose I make a breakthrough discovery/invention and get it patented ASAP so that it is only me and me who can use/develop this invention for say 15-20 years--this is what you call protection of rights of original invention but if the invention is open to others too then you're sure to develop it at a very fast rate isn't it?SO patents are a loss to us humans as a whole.Just personal opinion though.

Again Patents can be a boon if they are managed correctly but what is happening today is that US is the main country that issues patents(I heard china is a rebellious child) and they are misusing it like hell?Issued a patent for "all the transgenic varieties of brassica family" to a company its like one out of 102 or such of plant families and brassica is commercially one of the most important.They stink man.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?

Can u run your business on Linux. Yup...depends on the business & what kind of apps u run.

MetalheadGautham said:
Dyne:Bolic and Ubuntu Studio can easily find a place in bollywood.

No, U obviously don't have idea what kind of apps bollywood uses & Ubuntu studio stands no where close the big guns of this industry.

Fedora/Debian for the workstations.
What kind of workstation?

In windows you need to follow the MS way to make programs.

Lolz...if tht was the case, we wouldn't be seeing app compatibility & BSD's on WIndows at all

Hey..all the reason u mentioned are already available with Windows. So if everything is working fine already, then why upgrade? Why upgrade tht Billing machine running in Mcdonald, running Windows 98 if all u need to do is to make bills.

Re: Real answers to the question “Can you run your business on Linux and open source?

gx_saurav said:
Can u run your business on Linux. Yup...depends on the business & what kind of apps u run.
for an average business, you have all the software you will ever need with linux. Even propiatary companies like nero are releasing softwares for linux seeing its highe potential
gx_saurav said:
No, U obviously don't have idea what kind of apps bollywood uses & Ubuntu studio stands no where close the big guns of this industry.
I know. Pro tools. What I ment to say was that linux uses less ram and has more kernel level support for audio, video editing. This is much better than windows. So if the same softy is available for both win and lin, ppl will use lin.(actually, comming to bollywood, they have special machines, not PCs for their work. So does hollywood. And guess what? many even use MACs and some of those big machines run on linux.)
gx_saurav said:
What kind of workstation?
Well, WorkStation computers. Linux is more suited to run in them than windows. Stability, reliability, power, functionality is what linux offers these workstations.
gx_saurav said:
Hey..all the reason u mentioned are already available with Windows.
says who? do you get windows source code or detailed kernel structure doccuments or the OS for free? Do you get free right to modify windows in sourcecode and use it to create a customised windows and install it on all your computers and your friend's house?
gx_saurav said:
Why upgrade tht Billing machine running in Mcdonald, running Windows 98 if all u need to do is to make bills.
nobody is asking about already existing and in-use useful machines. I am talking about newer machines, change in use, second hand old systems, etc. and about cost cutting.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
trust me metal head ... corporates wont turn to linux at this time its just not made and altered for them ... its what u urself say a geeky os

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

MetalheadGautham said:
for an average business, you have all the software you will ever need with linux. Even propiatary companies like nero are releasing softwares for linux seeing its highe potential

What business is using nero full time? Pirates of Palika baazar kya

What I ment to say was that linux uses less ram

Questionable.

and has more kernel level support for audio, video editing.This is much better than windows.

Hearing this for the first time. Can u prove it?

if the same softy is available for both win and lin, ppl will use lin.(

Why, what if Windows already has stable technologies backend for the pro apps like 3ds Max & AutoCAD or After effect. Why would adobe or autodesk make there apps for Linux which has proven non-standerds.

actually, comming to bollywood, they have special machines, not PCs for their work. So does hollywood. And guess what? many even use MACs and some of those big machines run on linux.)

Thye use PC, Mac & Linux render nodes depending on what app they use.

Well, WorkStation computers. Linux is more suited to run in them than windows. Stability, reliability, power, functionality is what linux offers these workstations.

Do u know what a workstation is? I asked workstaion of wht? 3D animation, audio production, geometry data analysis, crash simulation...what? What kind of workstation Linux is good at compared to WIndows?

detailed kernel structure doccuments

Yup, check MSDN.

or the OS for free?

Why? So many developers are doing there job for a payment they deserve. Is it wrong to charge a fees for your labour. You r happy & jumping LINUX LINUX here just cos it is free. Mac OS X is also based on Unix, u r not praising it like u praise Linux. If Linux wasen't free today, no one would have taken notice, it being free is the reason for it's slow acceptence & lack of features.

Do you get free right to modify windows in sourcecode and use it to create a customised windows and install it on all your computers and your friend's house?

You buy a license to use WIndows not to edit it. U wanna make a custom Windows Distro, go ahead.....there are many such distro's available illegally on the net on which u can even enter a legal key.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

iMav said:
trust me metal head ... corporates wont turn to linux at this time its just not made and altered for them ... its what u urself say a geeky os
Why are you asking us to trust you when no one asked the answer to the question. Incase you didn't notice, the answer has already been covered by the article which is completely against what your are daydreaming about and please read the article before giving your trustworthy statements.:cool:

gx_saurav said:

Again, no one asked anyone to answer the question to the thread title, it's an article and the answer is in that.

Last edited:

@iMav
strangely, the fact that they CAN be altered is why corporates use them. Now don't tell me that vista comes altered for google's or wipro's use. Linux is altered to a large extent already, and if you want more, just DIY or Hire someone to DIFY. With a large company, you still save a lot of bucks.

@gx_saurav

1. we use their products a lot, FYI:D

2. ok, edit: it can use lesser ram if you use the right distro.

3. what I ment was that linux has, can have in built drivers for different perposes. ever heard of ALSA? X? ok, these are not kernel level, but certainly system leavel.

4. Non standards? you are joking right? linux is starting to become the in thing now. several companies are embracing linux. its not too far off before adobe & co start embracing it too. They added flash player and adobe reader for linux for a reason. The same reason why nero made nero digital audio available for linux. things are just starting now.

5. most of them. The OS part, its really good. The rest, its as good as the software. I can't name softwares, due to lack of intrest in them.(the way you talk, asthough dreamweaver, maya, etc are a part and parcel of windows)

6. thats one point I wont counter. concider yourself and my fingers lucky

7. that part is also already argued by many. It all comes down to this: software is free => software is more accessible => more will use it legally.
and yes, I never said mac was bad. Mac OS is really good, but it still has some bugs due to the slightly unwise alterations Apple made to FreeBSD that makes up darwin, MAC OS' core. This is why it can still get some type of viruses. And yes, as an Indian, the country whose mentality is to us pirated software if they are not free, I chose Linux because of programming intrest and functionality, not due to its freeness. Its just the icing on the cake.

8. thats the point, isn't it? M$ is all about $. You need to give $ to M$ to do something with windows that only makes windows better. As in the previous point, you only ended up showing the people how valid my points are.

PS: I appritiate the way you cling on to windows in your appriciation, saurav. You must be an excellent debater, to try to make points out of nothing at all, and presenting them decently.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
^^ Please avoid the arguments about what linux is and etc. Let's not start another OS war with those 2 here. This is an article and the questions about the same has been answered by network engineers who have already implemented the same. So, lets avoid arguments here.. this is news section. keeping that in mind.

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus said:
^^ Please avoid the arguments about what linux is and etc. Let's not start another OS war with those 2 here. This is an article and the questions about the same has been answered by network engineers who have already implemented the same. So, lets avoid arguments here.. this is news section. keeping that in mind.

OK saurav, meet you in the battlefeild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom