Status
Not open for further replies.

planetcall

Indian by heart
There exist nothing ubiquitously best. Its all about perceptions. I have worked with MSSQL Server 2000 and very soon will be trying my hand with 2005. I feel its reasonably good but still being a M$ product you better analyse the security as per your needs. Another excellent but not the best product is mysql. I have been using it lately and it has a very wide support, is free and the latest v5 supports most of the long awaited features. Give it a try if you need to know more.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Until recently, oracle was an ORDBMS (the controversial ref cursor). Now it's an RDBMS.

Almost all popular dbms softwares are RDBMSes: MS SQL Server, IBM DB2 and Oracle

planetcall

Indian by heart
I suggest you go with MS SQL as it is relatively very easy to use and learn. The configurations etc is also not very tough and you can find a starter book anywhere. It also features nice query manager.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
who ever says Oracle is not the best needs to relook into their database knowledge. MS SQL is an easy to use DB which is relatively useful for small to medium businesses. However when it comes to sheer volumes of data MS SQL fails miserably as it cannot handle the load. And for those that think Oracle is expensive think again. Oracle offers their Standard DB for 5000 dollars. This is a per CPU license. And Oracle has a free edition as well. Yes people it does!! Check out Oracle Database Express edition. This is in direct response to My SQL which is beginning to pose a serious threat to Oracle due to its open source nature. Having worked in Oracle DB for over 6 years now, believe me the other DB's have some serious marketing to do to even catch up with oracle. Currently 45% of all DB's run Oracle.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
WT..... 5000$ per CPU!!!???? Linux for you carries ads in every issue abt Oracle and they are showing 7000Rs.

shovik

Banned
To talk about the best is what stands is Oracle 11i but it comes with a hefty price tag. There are other RDBMS like MS SQL SERVER 2000 or 2005, DB2, SYBASE and also sometimes our regular MS ACCESS can also serve as a reliable RDBMS.

You can get a trial version of each RDBMS mentioned above and then just get the respective crack to make it full version.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hello sexraja please read the forum rules. Mention of illegal activities isn't allowed here. You may get away this time as you are new here but be careful in the future.
My knowledge of DBMS is very limited but in the Open Source section of the forums, I did see the list of companies that are served by MySQL and the list was tremendous and included lots of major corporations. I have also heard a lot about oracle but never seen or used it. So, I guess its one of the two atleast as far as handling big databases go.

planetcall

Indian by heart
I repeat if it went unnoticed.Its all about perceptions. Something maybe good for someone is a given condition but someone else may have a different opinion. If its for a beginner trying to learn the fundamentals of database then why not begin with mssql? It is natively supported on the OS that is used by majority of users. I do agree to the facts posted by icecoolz.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
I won't prefer MSSQL b'coz
-> Its not free
-> Its not widely used. MySql is used more than MSSQL
-> Its made by MS so it might be OS dependent
-> Why go for it when MySql is there which is supported in 90% of the servers?

iinfi

mekalodu
siriusb said:
Until recently, oracle was an ORDBMS (the controversial ref cursor). Now it's an RDBMS.

Almost all popular dbms softwares are RDBMSes: MS SQL Server, IBM DB2 and Oracle

i always thought Oracle was an ORDBMS!! Object Oriented one. where did that O go??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom