Ratan Tata Buys Stake in Chinese Phone Maker Xiaomi

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Mumbai: Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus of the holding company of the Tata conglomerate, has acquired a stake in Xiaomi Technology, a deal that is likely to bolster the Chinese phone maker's presence in the world's third-largest smartphone market.

Financial details of the unspecified stake bought by Tata in Xiaomi, the first by an Indian, were not disclosed in the statement issued by the Chinese company on Sunday.

Xiaomi, the No. 3 global smartphone maker, was valued at $45 billion after a December funding round.

Mr Tata, a respected business leader who was the chairman of salt-to-software Tata Sons for more than two decades, has previously invested in Indian start-ups, including online retailer Snapdeal.

Tata'a investment in Xiaomi comes against the backdrop of an aggressive push by Xiaomi in India after entering the market, which has huge growth potential with just one in 10 people using smartphones, in July 2014.

On Thursday, Xiaomi hosted its first global launch outside of China in the Indian capital New Delhi, unveiling its feature-heavy Mi 4i model that supports six Indian languages at 12,999 rupees.

Xiaomi and other Chinese smartphone makers are drafting in cricket teams and Bollywood stars to conquer India, their largest overseas market and a key testing ground for their international expansion.

"Mr. Tata is one of the most well-respected business leaders in the world. An investment by him is an affirmation of the strategy we have undertaken in India so far," Lei Jun, founder and chief executive officer of Xiaomi said in the statement.

"We are looking forward to bringing more products into India," he said.
© Thomson Reuters 2015

source-
Ratan Tata Buys Stake in Chinese Phone Maker Xiaomi - NDTVProfit.com

Just thought it was interesting news and felt I could share

Last edited by a moderator:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Re: Tata acquires stake in Xiaomi

Wishfully & Hopefully,the prices of XIAOMI products should come down more to a easy budget level.

OP
K

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

Wishfully & Hopefully,the prices of XIAOMI products should come down more to a easy budget level.

it already has decent prices now with Mi4i imho
its quality and after sales which need improving

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!

Title is misleading, Company TATA is no where involved.
Investment is by Ratan Tata. In whatever, Ratan Tata has invested, he has made sure his investment details do not come open in public.

$hadow

Geek in making

Now Xiaomi will be going to expand at a way more serious pace in India than it was earlier.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

They will start manufacturing phones in India soon, which means I guess spare parts will be available more easily, cost of phone probably woudn't come down much, but service will surely improve.Now, with tata's investment they will probably expand quickly maybe by opening Mi stores.

gameranand

Living to Play

They will start manufacturing phones in India soon, which means I guess spare parts will be available more easily, cost of phone probably woudn't come down much, but service will surely improve.Now, with tata's investment they will probably expand quickly maybe by opening Mi stores.

Unlikely.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA

That's it which is very much likely going to happen.

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!

May be Some Sops for Manufacturing in India. Not all you've mentioned.

tkin

Back to school!!

Title is misleading, Company TATA is no where involved.
Investment is by Ratan Tata. In whatever, Ratan Tata has invested, he has made sure his investment details do not come open in public.
The name of Ratan Tata is still considered to be unanimous with the Tata group, hence that statement.

Top Bottom