Raspberry Pi 2 Model B versus basic Tablet for BitTorrent downloading

Whistler81

The One and Only
Hello everyone,

I usually do all my downloading on my desktop which is thus on 24 hrs 7 days of the week. My electricity bill is showing crazy figures. I am thinking of shifting my downloading to a Raspberry Pi set up. I need your help with a few things that I want to know.

So, to set up a RPi , i would need to but the following :

1. Raspberry Pi 2 Model B [STRIKE] 2900[/STRIKE] 2795
2. [STRIKE]Strontium Nitro plus 16 GB 825[/STRIKE]
3. [STRIKE]Imation WKB-752 Wireless 749[/STRIKE]
4. [STRIKE]HDMI Cable 193[/STRIKE]
5. [STRIKE]Nokia AC-11 Charger 448[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Total - 5115[/STRIKE]
6. Strontium Nitro plus 32 GB 665
TOTAL - 3460

the other stuff i already have, such as screen and wireless mouse.

My first questions is will this be a better option or should i just go for a tablet that's priced below Rs. 5115 such as Datawind/Ubislate and the rest ? If you advise a tablet could you also name me one thats below the 5000/- mark.

My main target is downloading via BitTorrent at the cheapest cost.

Secondly, will i be able to connect an external hard drive (external powered) with the RPi if yes will that Nokia charger be enough ?

I feel that BitTorrent app on an android sucks and i am going to use an Ethernet cable with the RPi. Your views on this.
If you have any other related advise/comments (about pricing and where to buy from) please feel free to share.

Thank in advance.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-ac-51u/p/...o=p_16&query=asus+router&otracker=from-search

This router supports torrent protocol, if you already DO NOT have a router, then this will be the most cost efficient method
However I do not know what speeds and other issues you may face when downloading torrents via router..
*www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC51U/

Raspberry pi is a better alternative compared to tablets, it is not prone to getting absolutely demolished like those cheaper tablets are with heavy usage, plus you can use it for other purposes like media server, XBMC for your TV (convert TV to smart TV) etc

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT:

*www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n10u-150m...puteraccessory_router_8&ppid=RTRE94XYSHCWCMRU

an even cheaper model that SUPPOSEDLY supports torrent support but users are saying Asus removed the torrent support with recent update .. dont buy this without confirming

Similar product : *www.flipkart.com/netgear-jnr3210-n...start&as-pos=p_1_jnr3210&pid=RTRDEKJVRCDYXRST

supposedly torrent support removed in recent version

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
hey thanks for the quick reply. I check out the product, i don't understand is this router really capable of download BitTorrent stuff directly into the hard drive with out the computer powered on ? could you elaborate how this happens ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am using Rasp Pi 2 for torrent downloads.

Using a LG mobile charger to power it up.

32GB Samsung evo memory card with Arch Linux.

Ethernet cable directly attached to ADSL router.

and a HDMI cable to my monitor.

Works pretty good. But I will add a pen drive (64GB) to expand the storage and probably use a lower GB card (2GB) for OS install.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=Em6Hddyytlw[/YOUTUBE]

- - - Updated - - -

Users are reporting its a bugggy feature, so it may not be as good as it sounds, you are better off with a rPI IMO

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I am using Raspberry Pi 2 for downloading torrent. It is pretty easy to set it up even without a display (headless). I am using deluge daemon on it while a deluge client can be set up on any other system with display attached. It is even possible to que torrents on it from outside the home network (haven't started this yet). The Raspberry Pi2 also acts as the home file server since a 2TB HDD is attached to it.

Rajesh345

Youngling
I am using Raspberry Pi 2 for downloading torrent. It is pretty easy to set it up even without a display (headless). I am using deluge daemon on it while a deluge client can be set up on any other system with display attached. It is even possible to que torrents on it from outside the home network (haven't started this yet). The Raspberry Pi2 also acts as the home file server since a 2TB HDD is attached to it.

i was using RTn13u1b v2 router for torrent download for 3 years it worked perfect now some hardware issue ( but i faced no issue for 3 years

Now i am using Raspberry PI with transmission daemon and download is controled via webbrowser( can be desktop browser or android browser
Using 6 GB sdcard for OS
and 32 GB pen drive for download
configured samba and i am able to access downloaded file via UNC path or android File explorer

Since using broadband which required relogin , configured Autorelogin python script also with help of forum friend , now my PI 2 is downloading 24x7 [ISP -TPLink Router - Raspberry PI via Ethernet cable]

icebags

Technomancer
asus router inbuilt torrent features are always buggy, unless u flash it to ddwrt or something like that, it will be hardly of any use.

and as usual, they start showing hardware issues after 3 years. :lol:

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
wow! this is great! most of my queries were answered. I am so inspired. I was wondering though you guys @Rajesh345 @Faun and @baccilus you are running some flavor of Linux right ? I wanted to run Windows 10 IoT do you think it will work or should i stick with Linux like you guys ? I really don't enjoy Linux that much.

Many of you guys suggested BitTorrent capable routers, I feel think this will not be a good option for me because the whole world is coming down on the BitTorrent community with YiFY going offline and all, this downloading routers' future is bleak, also i already have a basic Netgear N150 router with will become useless if i go for a new one and secondly i think ill have better success with a RPi. I can show it off as well. How many people have RPis ? Thanks guys thanks @Nerevarine for the video, its all clear now, thanks a million guys. Love TDF.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
wow! this is great! most of my queries were answered. I was wondering though both of you [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11731]baccilus[/MENTION] you are running some flavor of Linux right ? I wanted to run Windows 10 IoT do you think its possible or should i stick with Linux like you guys ? I really dont enjoy Linux that much.

Running Archlinux for Rasp Pi 2. I don't see the advantage of using Win 10 IoT. For my requirement Linux is pretty good. I dont want to install full working GUI in rasp pi. Got tutorials for everything I needed.

You will need Win 10 IoT for ARM processors.

Followed this guide to setup micro sd card
Raspberry Pi 2 | Arch Linux ARM

Used a virtual machine (running linux mint in Virtual Box) to setup the card as my primary OS is windows. Just follow above link instruction after your SD card is detected in Virtual Machine OS.

Then put the card in Rasp Pi 2. It booted with the ArchLinux. (default username and password is "root")

Ran update of packages in the root shell.

Installed transmission-cli using pacman package manager.

Can access it from web browser (can add torrent from browser too). Pretty neat.
*i.imgur.com/Jf3vRBb.png

Installed and configured Samba today. Can access the shares in windows explorer now. Pretty cool.
*i.imgur.com/eIUgCkK.png

Next step is to setup ssh access tomorrow.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
wow! this is great! most of my queries were answered. I am so inspired. I was wondering though you guys @Rajesh345 @Faun and @baccilus you are running some flavor of Linux right ? I wanted to run Windows 10 IoT do you think it will work or should i stick with Linux like you guys ? I really don't enjoy Linux that much.

Many of you guys suggested BitTorrent capable routers, I feel think this will not be a good option for me because the whole world is coming down on the BitTorrent community with YiFY going offline and all, this downloading routers' future is bleak, also i already have a basic Netgear N150 router with will become useless if i go for a new one and secondly i think ill have better success with a RPi. I can show it off as well. How many people have RPis ? Thanks guys thanks @Nerevarine for the video, its all clear now, thanks a million guys. Love TDF.
I suggest you stick with Raspbian. It is pretty simple and efficient on Raspberry Pi. And you should put in the effort and actuallu use Linux. There is no point in wasting your time over a low powered torrent box if you want to install Windows on it. That would be like a bucket with a whole.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
I was thinking since i was a beginner i would be better using familiar Windows. i am however having to use Linux at my college so i am in the process of adaption. I would like a GUI though. [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] thanks for that tutorial i was meaning to ask how to install the OS. Thanks a lot.

One important thing is i am very picky so i have been researching memory cards. I found there are class 1 - 10 and then there are some USH1/3 cards as well. Which do i go for ? UHS cards seems to be the fastest but its says on the Sandisk site that it only works on UHS capable devices. Will it work on a RPi ? I tweeted to [MENTION=1256]ras[/MENTION]pberry_Pi there is no reply yet. What card should i go for ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was thinking since i was a beginner i would be better using familiar Windows. i am however having to use Linux at my college so i am in the process of adaption. I would like a GUI though. [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] thanks for that tutorial i was meaning to ask how to install the OS. Thanks a lot.

One important thing is i am very picky so i have been researching memory cards. I found there are class 1 - 10 and then there are some USH1/3 cards as well. Which do i go for ? UHS cards seems to be the fastest but its says on the Sandisk site that it only works on UHS capable devices. Will it work on a RPi ? I tweeted to [MENTION=1256]ras[/MENTION]pberry_Pi there is no reply yet. What card should i go for ?

Linux is something that will make things easier for you in the longer run. We are more comfortable with stuff we know, learning new things cause a natural resistant and reluctance from within. Overcome that and accept the challenge. It will add to your resume too.

You can install the GUI but that's an overkill when you will be using pi as headless downloader.

I am using this card. Go for class 10. UHS-1 is almost common now and there is not much price differential.
Amazon.in: Buy Samsung Evo+ 32GB Class 10 micro SDHC Card Upto 80 Mbps speed (With adapter) Online at Low Prices in India | Samsung Reviews & Ratings

Here is a comprehensive list of compatible cards
RPi SD cards - eLinux.org

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm also using raspberry to download torrents. Deluge and Transmission clients are used in Raspbian OS. Installation is very easy. You don't need display, keyboard or mouse. All you need is the pi board, a 2A usb charger with micro usb cable and 8GB microsd card to install OS. You will also need a powered usb hub if you want to use external hdd.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Raspberry Pi 2 all the way for running torrents all day. RP2 have an added advantage of running like a desktop or multimedia device. It's a full fledged PC (although a low end). But I guess Whistler81, you are confusing Windows IoT with actual windows. Windows IoT doesn't provide any kind of GUI at all, except a screen indicating that it's running. So currently you only have to work on Linux. And its not as scary as you think. The RP2 comes with a 8 GB Class 10 card (it came with mine, I bought from Amazon). This SD card contains the Noobs OS, which contains the Raspbian OS, a distro, I think its sufficient for your torrent needs.

Trying out new OS on RP2 is as easy as downloading an image file of the OS, using a small windows utility called, "Win 32 Disk Imager" to write the OS in SD Card, and then booting RP2 with the SD card. I don't think you really need a SD card beyond class 10 card. Your write speed would depend on the maximum bandwidth you will get from your ISP. And fastest speeds which bus on RP2 allows is about 20 MBps.

Btw, this page lists the speed benchmark done on various SD cards on various OS on RP and RP2. As it turns out SanDisk Extreme 16GB UHS-I/U3 seems to be fastest one. But again you probably don't need that.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
@Vyom thanks. I ordered the RPi2 via Amazon @ 2795 and a Strontium Nitro 64GB 85MBps UHS-1 CLass 10 MicroSD card @ 1289/-

To be frank my heart started pounding when i read Windows IoT doesn't provide any kind of GUI at all, except a screen indicating that it's running. I was hoping to install Windows 10 IoT and then run the BitTorrent client for windows. That dream is shattered now. I guess i have to really research this more thoroughly before the order arrives and be ready. Will have to rely heavily on @Faun s tutorials.

I have already downloaded the NOOBs package and gone through the instructions. I'll stick to Raspbian for now then may be move on to Archlinux if i need more functionality.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Windows 10 IoTis a joke, it accomplishes things that has been done by linux distros since 5+ years..
everyone thought we'll be able to run a full fledged ARM version of windows on Pi, how wrong we all were

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
64GB card is an overkill for Pi unless you want to download torrents to it. Even a 4GB card is enough to install the OS. I'm using class 4 8gb sd card. Pi boots in around 30 seconds. No need to go for expensive sd cards.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ um, you definitely skipped the whole torrenting need in the title of this thread, didn't you?

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
I opted for the 64 GB one because price was within my budget and i read somewhere the OS will get updates from time to time and i figured that will require space. :) Actually when i ordered for the card i was considering Windows 10 IoT(with a GUI desktop and ****) i thought i'll run a download manager as well (IDM kind) so i ordered a big card. :p feel stupid now.

Top Bottom