Raspberry Pi 2 Model B versus basic Tablet for BitTorrent downloading

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
OK. Finally. I got my RPi and used NOOBS to install Raspbian. Its kind of what i wanted. Correcting the over scans were a pain and I kind of stopped getting any display after I tried to change the resolution to 1920x1080 full HD. So stuck here. MicroSD card doesn't show that partition on Windows so cant edit the config.txt. Will need a workaround for this from you. So basically after the OS has been downloaded and installed the NOOBS partition is just useless right ? I read somewhere if I just download the RaspbianOS I can to burn the image file into the MicroSD card then boot from it. Will this work to run the OS ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's what I did : Downloaded Raspbian Jessy and win32 disk imager .. Wrote the image of raspbian jessy to sd card using win32 disk imager which created a linux [ ext4 ] partition and a fat32 partition on which config.txt is located. Jessy booted just fine without any sort of config changes and booted directly into desktop without any issue.

iSLaND

Broken In
OK. Finally. I got my RPi and used NOOBS to install Raspbian. Its kind of what i wanted. Correcting the over scans were a pain and I kind of stopped getting any display after I tried to change the resolution to 1920x1080 full HD. So stuck here. MicroSD card doesn't show that partition on Windows so cant edit the config.txt. Will need a workaround for this from you. So basically after the OS has been downloaded and installed the NOOBS partition is just useless right ? I read somewhere if I just download the RaspbianOS I can to burn the image file into the MicroSD card then boot from it. Will this work to run the OS ?
Connect via Putty over ssh and edit config

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Hey guys. I tired all settings, changing the values of hdmi_group and hdmi_mode also config_hdmi_boost but could not get a acceptable 1920x1080 resolution. I was getting a lot of running lines across the screen total discoloration, i think you call it interference, (I used PUTTY it was very easy editing the config file.) but everything is all gigantic on screen. Now the next thing is to download Transmission and start with the downloading. I was wondering before i start, i would love to work on 1920x1080 resolution so will Ubuntu MATE be able to improve this for me ? I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this ? and how do i install this on the RPi. I have Win32 Disk Imager.

Yesterday i had actually downloaded the NOOBS Lite package and tried to push Raspbian Jessie (the entire zip file) into the OS folder it did not detect and started downloading Raspbian from the internet. I tried to unzip the file and got a 4.2GB ISO that did not fit into the MicroSD card due to file system restrictions. Do you think if i unpack the ISO and push the files inside into the os folder it will work as in load the OS ? Can i do the same with this Ubuntu MATE mate ;)? thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am at this page. which one should i get ? | Debian Deluge

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You don't install anything in Raspberry Pi, you just flash the image in your Micro SD card using the tool Win32 Disk Imager.
Follow this guide to do that: *www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/windows.md

Writing OS images on Micro SD card using Win32 Disk Imager is one of the easiest and fastest thing ever.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] flashed the MicroSD with ubuntuMate today. All my dreams are coming true. I am getting 1920x1080 resolution now. Transmission is bundled. I would suggest any newbies reading this to install ubuntuMate. I think its better than Raspbian. (Raspbian was very unkind to me). Thanks everyone. Thanks a lot.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ubuntu Mate is good. Though I am not able to play YouTube videos on it on hd smoothly in full screen mode. Guessing YouTube playback in browser is a really intensive task for RP2. But RP2 was never meant for only this purpose.

Good to know Ubuntu Mate seems to be serving your purpose.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Torrents are not moving in Transmission or Deluge. I tried downloading Ubuntu using the official torrent. Downloads are not starting at all. I don't know what is going on. I tried to check for open ports Transmission says ports are OK but Deluge sends the torrents into the Error category.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
What error do you notice ? Post details. Could be folder permission issue.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Torrents are not moving in Transmission or Deluge. I tried downloading Ubuntu using the official torrent. Downloads are not starting at all. I don't know what is going on. I tried to check for open ports Transmission says ports are OK but Deluge sends the torrents into the Error category.

Your ISP ?

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Screenshot.jpg

I am using the external 2TB Hard drive for my downloads. I had removed Deluge because it was refusing to start.

- - - Updated - - -

My ISP is actually Metronet. I am able to download stuff via BitTorrent on windows. apt-get jdownloader now. lets see if this works.

- - - Updated - - -

How do i check if this is a read/write permission issue ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
disconnect external hdd. Use internal microsd card as storage location in deluge while adding a torrent and check if can you download into the microsd card . Also make sure you can browse sites in raspbian using raspbians default browser.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Transmission Message Log

Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 Transmission 2.84 (14307) started
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 error UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 327680
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 UDP Please add the line "net.core.rmem_max = 4194304" to /etc/sysctl.conf
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 error UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 327680
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 UDP Please add the line "net.core.wmem_max = 1048576" to /etc/sysctl.conf
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 DHT Generating new id
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0)
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2)
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 Port Forwarding State changed from "Not forwarded" to "Starting"
Sun Nov 8 15:59:45 2015 Loaded 1 torrents
Sun Nov 8 15:59:52 2015 ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso Could not connect to tracker
Sun Nov 8 15:59:52 2015 ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso Retrying announce in 20 seconds.
Sun Nov 8 15:59:53 2015 Port Forwarding State changed from "Starting" to "???"
Sun Nov 8 16:00:12 2015 ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso Could not connect to tracker
Sun Nov 8 16:01:30 2015 ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso Scrape error: Could not connect to tracker

I tried selecting desktop as the download folder. result is still the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Deluge had stopped working so i removed it with --purge now it wont install again.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
this is becoming a problem. Should i flash the SD Card again and start things fresh ?

- - - Updated - - -

OK solved my own problem. Flashed the SD Card again with ubuntuMATE. After that installed Deluge with sudo apt-get install deluge. Started Deluge with sudo from Terminal. Everything works like a charm now. Thanks guys. Could you tell me how do i set Deluge to always start with root privileges ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
this is becoming a problem. Should i flash the SD Card again and start things fresh ?

- - - Updated - - -

OK solved my own problem. Flashed the SD Card again with ubuntuMATE. After that installed Deluge with sudo apt-get install deluge. Started Deluge with sudo from Terminal. Everything works like a charm now. Thanks guys. Could you tell me how do i set Deluge to always start with root privileges ?

just give the access to the folder with current username. The folder where deluge writes the data.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
I am facing this issue. My external hard Drive is showing up with two names. The 2nd one has a 1 in the end and is highlighted green, so are the other files inside the folders. Some have a * after the extension.

s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:~$ cd /media
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media$ cd /s13rw81
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media$ cd s13rw81
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81$ ls

8EE250E3E250D0D7 8EE250E3E250D0D71 <--- same hard drive with two names , one with an added 1 in the end

s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81$ ls 8EE250E3E250D0D7

Completed Ongoing torrents contents of folder 8EE250E3E250D0D7

s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81$ cd ..
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media$ cd s13rw81
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81$ ls
8EE250E3E250D0D7 8EE250E3E250D0D71
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81$ cd 8EE250E3E250D0D71
s13rw81@MyRaspberryPi:/media/s13rw81/8EE250E3E250D0D71$ ls

Completed Magnet_URIs.txt $RECYCLE.BIN torrents contents of folder 8EE250E3E250D0D71
Download_List.txt Ongoing SeagateExpansion.ico
DSC02261.JPG Photo0107.jpg System Volume Information

Could you tell me what this is and how can i merge them so that deluge downloads to 8EE250E3E250D0D7 and give additional info if possible.Screenshot-1.png

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Well.......Any Solution for the above issue ? (eagerly following this thread)

Correct me If I'm wrong ....but looks like RPI is not good for torrent Downloading....Right ?

Some other forum experts are suggesting against it if the Torrent Downloading is the Primary Requirement to getting RPI...and it looks like true to me now....Unless the guy is Power User in Linux / Unix Command and Shell Program.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Well.......Any Solution for the above issue ? (eagerly following this thread)

Correct me If I'm wrong ....but looks like RPI is not good for torrent Downloading....Right ?

Some other forum experts are suggesting against it if the Torrent Downloading is the Primary Requirement to getting RPI...and it looks like true to me now....Unless the guy is Power User in Linux / Unix Command and Shell Program.
Well I beleive you will face a learning curve even with a router. Better to learn.

Top Bottom