RAM buying Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ageless

Broken In
So i am trying to upgrade my RAM, buying a new set of 12 GB RAM's.My Mobo is Asus P6T Deluxe v2 and it has said that (each indivisual)RAM should have less than 1.5V, so please anyone can suggest me some options.I am looking forward to 1333MHz, as i have heard they are quite stable but i can also go for 1600MHz, so please guys help me...suggest me some options.

Thanks a lot.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This one has exact 1.5V
Flipkart: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9): Ram

which I think should work.

koolent

Youngling
DDR 3 RAM modules are 1.5V.. If you are not going to OC it, then go for Corsair ValueSelect DDR3 4GB (4GB x 1) RAM.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair Value Select can be Oced very well and currently three types of DDr3 modules available on the market with 1.35v, 1.5v and 1.65v ;-)

koolent

Youngling
I am sorry, my mistake.. :( Didnt look at the stuff correctly.. :p

Bu still, my answer will not change, go for ValueSelect if you are not into overcloking else get Vengeance any of these 1.5v .. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vengeance can create issue with after market cpu coolers-so op should get either G-Skill Ripjaws or corsair value select.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Adding to Topgear's, Vengeance serie do have issues to run in tighter latency, anything below the quoted CL9 specification. On the other hand, G-Skill RipjawX 1600 MHz ram can be overclocked slightly higher than Corsair Vengeance and also able to run at tighter latency.
I'm currently having 2X4GB ripjawX, purchased 2 weeks back. Already running them at CL8 setting at 1600 MHz
Price is around 1.5K per 4GB module.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ congrats ! ;-)

@ OP - get 3x of this :
Flipkart: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL): Ram

dfcols71

In the zone
how about this ram is there any problem in over clocking it
Flipkart: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR): Ram

OP
A

ageless

Broken In
Hello Guys,

I have selected this RAM -

CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 @ Rs1450/ memory module.

I am a game artist and require lots of RAM for my Game Art.So, i am going for high memory.Also i have no plans for after market CPU cooler and i will also not indulge in RAM OC...i do little bit OC of my i7-920(Bloomfield) during rendering purposes and that's about it.

Waiting for your comments on it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
after market cooler is a must have for OCing IMO and your work will see a nice performance boost if you OC the cpu well with a good after market cooler ... Corsair Vengeance is very good in quality - if you want to stick with these get these.. if you need to get a cpu cooler later get CM Hyper 612 or get CM Hyper 212 Evo and install the fan facing the back side of the mobo .. if you do these vengeance will be able to sit comfortably sit on the ram slots ;-)

OP
A

ageless

Broken In
@topgear - Thanks a lot.

The only problem being, recently i logged onto CORSAIR website and checked info about this particular RAM model, whether it supports my Mobo(ASUS P6T DELUXE V2)....and...

to my utter disbelief, this particular RAM model was not listed on their list of rams which is compatible with my brand of mobo.

I purchased this memory from nehru place, new delhi and they have just this CORSAIR model.Their engineer is saying it will work fine.But i think that my mobo model is more than two years old and whether this new model RAM will support it or not.

The next stop will CORSAIR service center which is fortunately located in Nehru Place.So, will go there and ask their engineers, what they think about this problem.

The RAM has already being purchased.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

thanks to all who gave their valuable advice.I am a computer enthusiast too and Digit Forums has not even once disappointed me.Always solves my problem. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - update your mobo bios to the latest version .. remove all of the old ram modules and mount only a single new ram module and see whether it works or not .. if a single module is working then all of the vengeance ram modules will work just fine.

OP
A

ageless

Broken In
@Topgear - thanks again mate, you've been a great help.Can you please also suggest to me that how can i update my BIOS??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just download the latest version of Bios from your mobo manufacturers product page
and unzip the .ROM file in a fat32 formatted usb pen drive.

Restart your PC, enter the BIOS, got to EZ-Flash ( see manual if you can't find this option ) and this tool will show the bios update file ie yyyyy.ROM file from the pen drive and give you option to update the bios - just start the update process - it will take around 2-3 mins - after the bios update just shut down your pc and start it again.

OP
A

ageless

Broken In
@all - Good News!!

my mobo is detecting my new Shiny RAM.For the time being i have just inserted only one memory module as i am waiting for rest of the modules.

my RAM is supposed to run @ 1600Mhz but when i installed CPUZ it's showing me that my RAM speed is 535MHz...can you tell me why is that?

Do i have to go to BIOS and manually change my settings??

*img829.imageshack.us/img829/1750/94791926.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ your mem module is actually running at 1066Mhz ;-) but to get 1600 Mhz speed you need to manually set the mem clock speed from bios.
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

OP
A

ageless

Broken In
@Topgear - Ok.When i manually set my memory clock speed to 1600MHz in BIOS, CPUz shows that my current memory speed is 835MHz??

i read somewhere that since my mobo is triple channel, so i'll have to multiply my memory speed by 3 to get the actual result, how true is that??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom