raid 0 query

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
HI PEOPLE, I have a 40 gb seagate 5400 rpm 2 mb buffer pata hdd and 200 gb 7200 rpm 8 mb buffer sata hdd . Now I want to add another 40 gb pata hdd to use it with the existing one in raid 0 configuration . Should i get a 5400 rpm drive or 7200rpm will also work ?

I have searched the forum but found no answers . :cry:
Also I am on a tight budget so can only shell out 2.3 k .

So is it worth to get additional 40 gb ? Will the performance improve ? :roll:

I have onboard promise raid controller hardware .

pls help ..

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
When using RAID, the drives have to be identical, in case of striped RAID, for the average user, the risk of data loss is not worth the performance increase.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Now I want to add another 40 gb pata hdd to use it with the existing one in raid 0 configuration . Should i get a 5400 rpm drive or 7200rpm will also work ?
It will work no problem. But it is not advisable. Also remember, the performance and size of the resulting array will be the least of the two drives. So you will be losing performance of the 7.2K drive.

I have searched the forum but found no answers.
I remember seeing a few queries and answering one query in qna.

So is it worth to get additional 40 gb ? Will the performance improve ?
It will depend on the kind of work that you do in your PC. Normal office chores, doodling and small games won't see any performance differnce at all. Sometimes around 1 to 5%. But if you are using it on a server machine or graphics designing, then you might see more performance increase.

Check out anandtech article on raid0 in desktop systems which show you that the benchmarks were not at all different in raid0.

in case of striped RAID, for the average user, the risk of data loss is not worth the performance increase
Actually, the average user can risk raid0 than a commercial organisation where raid1 of raid 0 will be used and data is much more valuable. But yes, if the performance increase is negligible for your desktop purposes, then raid0 may not exactly be a blessing for you,

asdf1223

Journeyman
coupling the 5400 rpm doesnt make it faster instead u can probably couple the 200 gb one(or save incase funds
is the real reason u want to do this).

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
OK THANKS PEOPLE I WILL SCRAP THIS PLAN . :)

instead, I will get a 200 gb seagate sata to make it raid 0 next month . :D .. now there is a problem with my friend's computer . His 3.2 ghz prescott- LGA 775 - is overheating and is giving him a problem . so we decided to get a seperate HSF . we have seen ASUS STAR ICE . what's ur opinion on this one .. is it sufficient for the task ..

also i did not wanted to start a new thread ... 8)

pls guide...

YOGI

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@yogi
using any other hsf other than the ones provided by intel will make him lose his warranty on the procc. what problem is the procc giving ? also what are the temperatures its reaching ? try to make his cabinet better ventilated. if nothing works i suggest u to contact intel , my frnds 3.0 ghz prescott was overheating and causing his system to restart n hang ... we contacted intel and he got a prompt replacement.

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
his processor starts at temperature of 81 degress ... and goes above and when it heats 91 degress ,, the comp restarts ...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
centigrade or farenheit? If it is centigrade, then it's an insane figure. Get a decent hsf. Forget about warranty. As long as it runs cool, you can forget about it breaking down and needing a warranty.

digen

Youngling
siriusb said:
Actually, the average user can risk raid0 than a commercial organisation where raid1 of raid 0 will be used and data is much more valuable. But yes, if the performance increase is negligible for your desktop purposes, then raid0 may not exactly be a blessing for you,

My little experience tells me raid 0 & raid 1 are passe.Plus they dont even qualify as true RAID under circumstances.RAID 5 is what the commercial orgs deploy if I'm not wrong.
Ofcourse it depends on the requirements & needs but RAID 5 is becoming like a industry standard with redundancy with parity. :p

hcp006sl

Journeyman
digen said:
My little experience tells me raid 0 & raid 1 are passe.Plus they dont even qualify as true RAID under circumstances.RAID 5 is what the commercial orgs deploy if I'm not wrong.
Ofcourse it depends on the requirements & needs but RAID 5 is becoming like a industry standard with redundancy with parity. :p

Right you are. Here are some basics for RAID. Before opt for RAID check which RAID is supported by your motherboard.

AlienTech

In the zone
With Windows NT you can do Raid0/1 in software and dont need anything special. I been doing it since NT came out. Yes it does increase performance a whole lot. In boot up times and things like file copy etc. The best thing for the average user is, using 2-40MB drives and getting 1-80GB drive. This makes many things easier like not having to remember where you stored something.

Oh was I talking MB? Ah yep.... Now with 200GB's the standard all this is not worth it. But you could use 4 drives in a semi raid type arrangemenet with 3 used as stripping drives and the 4th to hold data parity so it kind of acts like a spare in case 1 drive fails you do not loose data. I used to just run 4 drives in stripping fashion so as to get 1 larger drive and the speed increase is less than 100% more like 50% since for larger speed increases you need special hardware to make I/O throughput efficient. And if 1 drive fails you loose data on all other drives as well and remember, failure rate goes up exponentially by adding multiple drives in this fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom