Quick question on a GPU upgrade - is it worthy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hello all,

I own a 4 yr old Geforce 7600GS 256 MB PCI-E card and looking to upgrade the same to play some new games.. problem here is i want to do this without having to upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM/PSU

My current system spec.

Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core
Asus A8N-VM CSM mobo
1 + .5 gb PC 3200 (200 Mhz) RAM
XFX Geforce 7600GS 256 MB PCI-E card
Zebronics platinum 500w PSU

Zebronics - Power Supply - Platinum Series- 500 W

PSU specs:
24 (20+4) Pin Connector x1
ATX 12v 4 Pin Connector x1
EPS 12v 8 Pin Connector x1
PCI Express 6 Pin Connector x1
Peripheral 4 Pin Connector x4
SATA 15 Pin Connector x4
Floppy 4 Pin Connector x1

AC input : 230v - 50hz 5A Please Select Right- Voltage
DC Output (Max)
+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
24A 26A 22A 0.8A 2.0A

I'm looking @ cards like GT 440 / GTS 450 / GTX 460 / GTS 250

Please let me know the best card that would suit my current PC..

I hear people saying it would not make any sense at all to pick any of these cards without upgrading the CPU & mobo & RAM ! (which i really really cant afford & dont wish) and others say the 500 W doesn't matter.. its the amp rating & my PSU will not handle any of these cards and would just burst!

Anxiously waiting for your inputs.. thanks !

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
tbh Your CPU will hold you back for any modern games. Also PSU is not that powerful /reliable to run Good GFX. Overall Config is pretty outdated.

But answering your question whats your budget? & what resolution and games you wish to play? Cards you mentioned vary in budget, performance and specs.

And GTX460 is big NO for your system.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your CPU would be a BIG bottleneck. In any case, if you really need to upgrade your graphics card, get one without the need of any additional power connector, to be on the safe side.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
tbh Your CPU will hold you back for any modern games. Also PSU is not that powerful /reliable to run Good GFX. Overall Config is pretty outdated.

But answering your question whats your budget? & what resolution and games you wish to play? Cards you mentioned vary in budget, performance and specs.

And GTX460 is big NO for your system.

Could you pls tell me the prices of the above cards ?
I maybe looking at games like the latest nfs, crysis 2, etc .. its okay if they are playable without any lags maybe @ 1024x768

I think.. the GTS 250 would be nice but hear people saying it might as well go for the 9800gtx+ which is actually the same.. I dont mind doing that if it would save me money..

thanks..

Your CPU would be a BIG bottleneck. In any case, if you really need to upgrade your graphics card, get one without the need of any additional power connector, to be on the safe side.

Do "all" new games require a dual core cpu? I think mine runs @ 3 Ghz.. n from my choice of graphic cards above, do all of them require additional power connectors ?
In any case, I think my PSU does have a PCI E 6 pin connector...

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even dual cores are not sufficient, quad cores are better. Check here:-

PC Gaming Performance and Tweaking Guides - TechSpot

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I propose save like 8k more and Go for a AMD Quad with a 3k mobo and 2 GB DDR3 ram.

GTS 250 is a very nice card but better AMD options are also available around same price tag. And games like Crysis will give you hard time even with every thing at low with that CPU.

GTS 250 is around 6.8 K I think.

saswat23

Human Spambot
AMD cards are much better than nVIDIA's. All the cards above HD5770/ HD6770 require a separate power connector.
So, the best card available for you now is Radeon 5670 @4k / Radeon 6670 @5.2k
But its still recommended that you first upgrade your rig.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
@ tech_wiz
What are those AMD alternatives that you have suggested ?

@saswat..
My current PSU does have an additional pci power connector..!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX = 4800

640 one might be a bit more cheaper.

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard = 2500

DDR3 2 GB = 1k

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
oops.. i thought u were going to suggest me an AMD gpu n not a processor..!

On the other hand, your options.. looks good.. maybe i might change my mind after all ! The "quad core" looks very inviting & attractive.. :d I'm not sure about the difference between the athlon II & the Phenom II processors.. but is this the best out of the lot "as of now" ? I mean.. best value for money ?

Also,

- Will this setup (/w the onboard graphics) give me more performance than my current setup with the 7600 GS ? curious to know.. with games like crysis 2 & the lot...

- Most importantly, pls. tell me that my current PSU (Specs above) Zebronics - Power Supply - Platinum Series- 500 W
is enough for this rig !

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Crysis is not recommended on any IGP. For Graphics card tell me budget first.

PSU will depend on what GFX you choose. With a low GFX I guess it might just work but its highly recommended to get a CX400 or FS Saga for 2-2.5k

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
I shall continue this discussion at the other thread out there.. Tech_wiz.. do reply there.
budget for the GPU around 7k I would say ? Again, logic is if we are able to save on the mobo cost by opting a lower cost model (since im anyways installing a separate gpu) .. then the 7k can be stretched !

A

Arun.p

if your buy new gpu card plus new psu that your old cpu and board will go kaput due to life cycle reduce

so better get new machine with dual or quad core should match balance config while playing proper games without any lagg :)

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks Arun.. I have come to that ! This thread would be closed for another new thread as requested by those who have been helping me through-out.

Mods: Pleaseee don't club my new thread with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom