• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

Quick look at Microsoft ZUNE 30GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
btw wats this doing in hardware troubleshooting ...

choto sir like think u very excited abt zune :D
 

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
offtopic:
@choto dada: have you figured out how to turn it off?its kinda strage.To turn it off completely prees and hold back button+down button on squircle at the same time.press play button to turn on again.
Press and hold back+up buttons to reboot.
Want to completely format your zune?press and hold back+centre button+play buttons while rebooting your Zune.

Thought it would be useful in extending battery life.Its strange you cannot switch off your device completely normally(i.e. without ^^ combo).
 
OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
iMAV said:
btw wats this doing in hardware troubleshooting ...

choto sir like think u very excited abt zune

its a hardware and i thought reviews are suppose to go in hardware section ??

Devil said:
offtopic:
@choto dada: have you figured out how to turn it off?its kinda strage.To turn it off completely prees and hold back button+down button on squircle at the same time.press play button to turn on again.
Press and hold back+up buttons to reboot.
Want to completely format your zune?press and hold back+centre button+play buttons while rebooting your Zune.

Thought it would be useful in extending battery life.Its strange you cannot switch off your device completely normally(i.e. without ^^ combo).

Zune Battery FAQ

If u have not read it, then do give it a shot... :)

desiibond said:
How did you get your zune shipped to India and what was the extra cost? Can you please guide me how to get a Zune (My cousin in Saint Cloud has it) delivered to Bangalore?

it is a gift... and it has came via Fedex :)

now how do u get ur self one.. well to be honest unless Microsoft comes to india I would say no dont get it because of after sales service... in-stade think of iPOD models... or if u are a fan of Zune then ask ur contact over their to ship the product by mentioning it as a gift... As per Indian customs law if customs thinks the product is bellow Rs. 10,000/- and its a gift then they wont charge a penny for it.. but then again u never know what customs would do :( they are highly un-predictible...

:)

In my case i was not asked to pay any duty for the product :D
 

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^
Zune Battery FAQ said:
To turn off your Zune manually, press and hold the play/pause button.

Have you tried it?This is ,I don't know,kind of soft power off not complete power off.You can start your Zune by pressing any key.Now try my combo i.e. down+back key and see yourself,It won't start untill you press the play button for some time and then you'll see the loading screen unlike soft power off where you don't see any loading screen.
 

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Got confused between Bluetooth and wi-fi. Had seen a snap of Mr Gates receving media files, so thought it was Bluetooth. My bad.
 

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Choto Cheeta said:
it is a gift... and it has came via Fedex :)

now how do u get ur self one.. well to be honest unless Microsoft comes to india I would say no dont get it because of after sales service... in-stade think of iPOD models... or if u are a fan of Zune then ask ur contact over their to ship the product by mentioning it as a gift... As per Indian customs law if customs thinks the product is bellow Rs. 10,000/- and its a gift then they wont charge a penny for it.. but then again u never know what customs would do :( they are highly un-predictible...

:)

In my case i was not asked to pay any duty for the product :D

I thought a 30gig player for 4000 bucks is a steal. :)
Nothing to lose if it stops working.

My cousin bought one for me during Thanksgiving (99$) but FedEx is charging $70 + customs extra to ship it to India. I am looking for cheaper and reliable ways to get it here.
 
The Zune reviewed here is the first gen model which (as expected) didn't do well at all.

A couple of months back Microsoft released V2 of the it's Zune player. This release addresses most of the shortcomings of the first gen Zune featured in this review. I think gen 2 is a serious contender to the iPod.

Here's a link to the Amazon product page -

http://snipurl.com/1v0yr

Updated UI - the first gen had a crappy Windows Media Center edition feel to it.

Reduced bulk - doesn't look & feel like a brick anymore

80GB capacity

New touchpad

and finally Usable wi-fi - you can actually sync your library with your PC over wi-fi now etc. make this a really tempting proposition for me. However, I simply just can't let go of my first gen Nano :)

Cheers,
Keith
 

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^nope dude sadly firmware upgrades makes your first gen. Zune as good as second ge. Zune as fard as softwares(wi-fi,UI things) goes.

Brick:have you ever seen one?

Capacity:2.58gb\27.xgb filled :( (my zune stats)

touchpad:yea thats a really nice feature of second gen. Zunes apart from glossy looks.
 
That's really good of MS to provide FW upgrades to old users. I'm surprised they still sell the first gen models. AFAIK, Apple does not do that. But they don't keep previous generation models on shelves either.

"Brick:have you ever seen one?"
Yes I have. 'Seen, held, played around and not been impressed with one', hehehe.

I was just picking up some books last week at the Virgin Megastore in Doha and came upon the new Zunes. I was told they won't stock the old ones anymore. But surprisingly, you can still get them at Amazon.com (this is were I shop for my gadgets).
 
Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^its not 4k actually,shipping costs and importing taxes are in addition to the base 100$.

Ok,finally upgraded to firmware 2.3 from 1.4.Quite a big change for me!

1.The big fonts are just not cool,They don't fit in one screen.Earlier smaller ones were better.

2.Overall browsing is very easy and animations are cool.

3.Overall better looking than 1.4.

4.The problem showing incorrect battery status in 1.4 was really irritating
sad.gif
.



Ayways, I got one problem.I synced some old photos and songs from back up DVDs to Zune,I had to copy them first to Hard disk cos we can't sync directly from cd\dvds to Zune.After that I deleted those pics.and songs from my hard disk and when the next time I synced my Zune they all got deleted from my zune automatically!,very irritating.I tried changing the settings but cudn't find any setting regarding this.Any solution?please.

BTW I have the latest version of software+firmware.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom