[Question] HOW TO Overclock CPU, GPU and RAM .. and if possible .. decrease CAS latency?

AnkitS

Right off the assembly line
Hello .. i am new to this forum.. first of all my system specs :

CPU- AMD PHENOM II X4 840 (3.2G)
GPU- XFX RADEON HD 4890 1GB GDDR5
RAM- Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz (9-9-9-24)
MOB- ASUS M4A78LT M-LE

I would like to increase my PC's overall performance to maximum it could go.
I have never overclocked any of them before.

If any of you have the best tutorial for serving my purpose please share it ..
and i am using stock cooler right now .. what upgrade should be done in lights of cooling for a stable overclock.. any other advice?

hey and please suggest most economical method .. :|

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
First of all you need to have a good PSU.
As you want to overclock CPU AND GPU i suggest get an extra cooler.
To overclock GPU use ATI catlyst. or msi after burner

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Op - what cabby you have with hiw many fans ?

To OC the CPu a good after market cpu coler like Cm Hyper 212 Evo is a must have and good PSu also as mentioned by serpent16.

For GPU Oc use AFB app and make sure the GPU temp don't go over 80-85c under load.

And remember one thing : always OC in small increments - say 25 Mhz for cpu and 10/15 Mhz for GPu/mem clock speed.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
For RAM overclocking: I don't think you can oveclock Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 RAM.
You may try to set 8-8-8-24 @1033MHz, but I don't know whether it will run or not.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
CPU- AMD PHENOM II X4 840 (3.2G) + MOB- ASUS M4A78LT M-LE - Dont overclock on this board unless you're trying to kiss your VRM's goodbye!! :) You could probably gain 100-200MHz on CPU clocks without upping the voltage or while keeping it below 1.4V but not much is possible on this.

GPU- XFX RADEON HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 - World's 1st 1GHz GPU. Not much scope for overclocking here either!! Maybe 20-30MHz if you're lucky. But this is a very small overclock not worth the effort & time particularly with your motherboard.

RAM- Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz (9-9-9-24) - 1333MHz Ram will probably run upto 1500-1550MHz if you can do it with 8-8-8 timing you're looking at an upto 4-7% performance boost...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For RAM overclocking: I don't think you can oveclock Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 RAM.
You may try to set 8-8-8-24 @1033MHz, but I don't know whether it will run or not.

you better read this ;-)

Some overclocking adventure with Value Rams!!!!

sharang.d

Youngling
Sorry to butt in but I just discovered I'm a major noob when it comes to RAM OC'ing. Can i get a few links please? Thanks!

EDIT:
It will depend on what mobo and cpu you have so better would be to create a new thread.
Done :D
Confusion regarding RAM

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will depend on what mobo and cpu you have so better would be to create a new thread.

Top Bottom