Question about Domains and Web Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hi all,
Ive recently got the interest to try my hand at probably blogging a bit or maybe jotting down some nonsense somewhere on the web to mark my presence. Now my questions are what would be a stepwise approach to the following.

Naturally it would be
Get A domain Name
Get some Hosting plan (Not interested in free hosts)
Start Blogging

Now before I do the above what are the recommended features or steps I should have or basically would you recommend on getting for a hassle free experience for the above. (Basically the things you want or expect to get from the provider)

I liked the way wordpress blogs looked so I might try that out. Now I know that PHP is a requisite for this to work. Other than that is there anything else that I should ask for when inquiring for the domain name or hosting package? Please post me some links for guides on this process where applicable. I've been searching thinkdigit for a guide which I recall being on here which showed the process from the beginning to the end but I cant seem to find it :( . Any other links would be deeply appreciated.

By the way my only intention is to do something as a past time so I don't want to have to sell a kidney to get the above services either :D

Thanks in advance

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
So you would rate a hosting service giving 90% weightage to their support. After hearing this it makes me kind of alarmed... Do servers frequently go down and stuff?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
No i dont give entire wiegthage but yes for me its most important :) Servers getting down.......Not often, atleast mine dont :D Can't say for others

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Do providers allow for changng their hostnig plans midway? Like for example sa I join for Plan A from Provider X can I join Plan B from the same provider (Maybe I choose to do so cause I require more space/Bandwidth) ?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Few basic Things you must ask before you choose any host
1) Are you over selling.
2) Uptime guarantee......
3) Money back-->> if the host failed to provide, as stated...than will he give back money.

4) Server configuration.
5) Server IP-->> to test server location.
6) Server datacenter location.
7) Server upload speed.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
exx_2000 said:
Do providers allow for changng their hostnig plans midway? Like for example sa I join for Plan A from Provider X can I join Plan B from the same provider (Maybe I choose to do so cause I require more space/Bandwidth) ?

Yes, almost all do :) Most of the times, it can even be fullt automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.