[Query]Multiple queries on digital connection+5.1 speakers

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
[Query]Multiple queries on 5.1 speakers

Dear All,

Please help me in my audio queries. Thanks to 'Tenida' for resolving my initial queries on 5.1 set.

I am looking for 5.1 speakers with good sound quality and thumping BASS..window rattling type :)
My main priorities--Movies, Gaming, Music (in that order).

I checked the Philips 5.1 Home Theater systems in their site.

My query-- Can I use the 5.1 HT by Philips say HTS5520 or HTD5510 via the regular analog connection of my onboard Realtek sound card? Has anybody here used 5.1 home theater (not regular 5.1 speakers) with their PC? Please reply.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
according to specifications HTS5520 has Digital coaxial in so if your onboard sound card/mobo has a s/pdif port(coaxial not optical though both are types of s/pdif) then it should work.

OP
O

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
@ whitestar_999>> thanks for your response...my mobo ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 has got only optical s/pdif port. So, can I use it via the regular analog connection of my onboard Realtek sound card?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no but your mobo has a s/pdif header so you can get a s/pdif bracket/back plate but it is difficult to find & cost much more than what its worth.you can make one yourself or get some electrician to do it for you by using this:
Digital output from onboard audio! | TechEnclave - Indian Technology Forum
still i would suggest trying to get a home theater with optical s/pdif within your budget but if you can't find any or not satisfied with its sound quality(always take a personal demo using your own sound files) then use the above option.

P.S.read this as it will really expand your knowledge about s/pdif & may help in future:
Everything You Need to Know About the SPDIF Connection | Hardware Secrets

OP
O

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
@whitestar_999>> many thanks mate...i sure will go thru the link on s/pdif to educate myself.
so the conclusion is-- none of the Home Theaters can be driven via the regular analog connection (as in we connect 5.1 speakers), let alone these Philips HTs...please correct me if wrong?

OP
O

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
bump...someone please correct my understanding--none of the Home Theaters can be driven via the regular analog connection (as in we connect 5.1 speakers), let alone these Philips HTs?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
after reading details of specifications on philips website of HTS5520/94 it seems you can connect speakers directly to regular analogue ports.i am saying this based on specifications where cable lengths of front,rear & subwoofer speakers are mentioned.
Philips HTS5520/94 - 5.1 Home theater
still i would suggest to personally check these cables to confirm they are the regular rca cables used in normal 5.1 speaker systems.

Last edited:
OP
O

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
thanks a lot for your response mate...i will take your suggestion to check these cables when I audition the HT in Philips show-room.

Top Bottom