query about ubuntu 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
guys just upgraded processor to c2d.how good is ubuntu 64??
are there any compatibility issues???

c'mon guys,i have also had a hard disk failure.i have to install ny favourite os soon.
is ubuntu 64 any good????

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
install 32bit version dude,64bit is not for noobs yet:(,you need some serious tweaking to get some things working.

But It is the best 64bit OS in the world,no doubt about that.But I recommend using 32bit ubuntu instead.

F

FilledVoid

install 32bit version dude,64bit is not for noobs yet,you need some serious tweaking to get some things working.

Actually I think that if you need to tweak something that bad in 64 bit then the chances are going to be the same in 32 bit as far as Ubuntu is concerned. Im running Ubuntu 64 and I think Im doing pretty fine. I did have problems with ALSA though with my onboard sound and TV Tuner card issues but I think they exist for 32 bit as well.

I think its ok. Im running the AMD64 version.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^I too have a c2d and I asked the same question and got the answer I told him.I guess it is not as stable as 32bit ubuntu as yet and besides there are always driver and software compatibility issues.

And look I already said its the best 64bit OS in the world--far better than WInblow$ Virusta.But still needs some polishing for noobs like me.

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
exx_2000 said:
Actually I think that if you need to tweak something that bad in 64 bit then the chances are going to be the same in 32 bit as far as Ubuntu is concerned. Im running Ubuntu 64 and I think Im doing pretty fine. I did have problems with ALSA though with my onboard sound and TV Tuner card issues but I think they exist for 32 bit as well.

I think its ok. Im running the AMD64 version.
anyways after researching in ubuntu forums i'am takin the plunge.thanks dude

F

FilledVoid

And look I already said its the best 64bit OS in the world--far better than WInblow$ Virusta.But still needs some polishing for noobs like me.

Hehe @ WInblow$ Virusta . I was just stating my opinion :D . Im a noob too and I find my help on this forums !

praka123

left this forum longback
so@biju,ur finally sticking with ubuntu amd64? are u able to try latest flashplayer9 beta3 version:9.0 r115 ?flash9 beta above v64 supports native gtk 2 support :p try it asap.just cp the plugin libflashplayer.so from labs.adobe.com to ur /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins etc ;)

..and do u use nspluginwrapper or..ur using 32-bit chroot for flash :?

F

FilledVoid

so@biju,ur finally sticking with ubuntu amd64?

Ive been sticking with it since I got it from you :D and also have about 7 boxes in Mallappally running Ubuntu AMD64.

are u able to try latest flashplayer9 beta3 version:9.0 r115 ?flash9 beta above v64 supports native gtk 2 support try it asap.just cp the plugin libflashplayer.so from labs.adobe.com to ur /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins etc

I haven't tried the new one . At the moment Im running flashplugin-nonfree Im nto actually sure if thats the 64 bit one or if its a 32 bit running with the help of nspluginwrapper.

Just to clear something up here if you are using 64 bit then you either have a 64 bit program that works or 90% of the time you can get its 32 bit alternative to work on your system.

Pat

Beyond Smart
abhinandh said:
guys just upgraded processor to c2d.how good is ubuntu 64??
are there any compatibility issues???

c'mon guys,i have also had a hard disk failure.i have to install ny favourite os soon.

I have been using AMD64 version of Gutsy for quite some time now, without any issues whatsoever!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
How much performance gain one should expect from 32bit to 64 bit switchover on a AMD 64? Is it really that much?

becasue I am using 32 bit version on the config mentioned in my sig and it practically fly. :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^The performance gain wont be that noticable unless you are into heavy-duty stuff like video encoding etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom