query about hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
i bought seagate 80bg hdd 2 days ago.
i am using hddlife software provided with digit dvd.
it shows health of my old hdd (4yr old) as 76%
while for new seagate hdd (2days old) it shows 46%.
why it is so. i am woorying as new hdd have health very less than old one.
are these health predictions right.
please explain.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
i dont know wat the test procedure is...
but even the 46% is nothin to worry

for mine WDC - 80gb (1yr old)
performance = 44%
health = 44%

OP
kjuvale

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
but how my old fireball 20gb hdd (4yr old) shows 76% while the very new shows only 46% health and performance. why there is so much difference

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
These programms like HDDLIFE can be very inaccurate at times.
So if you r not facing any problems then ignore it.
Also enable SMART monitoring from the bios for both the disks.

satbir

Broken In
kjuvale said:
but how my old fireball 20gb hdd (4yr old) shows 76% while the very new shows only 46% health and performance. why there is so much difference
see if u have some unpartitioned space on ur new disk............ that could be the only reason...............

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
HDD HEALTH S/ware shows my (2 months old ) seagate SATA 160 GB HDD health as jus 25% :shock: :shock:

Dont knw whether its the s/ware glitch or wat..but i hv not faced any problems with my HDD till now.

Cheers n e-peace...

phatratt

In the zone
the software seems to be inaccurate sometimes it reported 64%(Segate 40GB) at normal temprature with SMART enabled where as my old samsung 20GB reported 100% :shock: strange!!

::cyborg::

In the zone
kjuvaale this happened to me also u do one thing u clean all those temp files scandisk and defrag ur hdd then it will see that percentage has increased try it inform me brother

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
amitsaudy said:

my vote also

saROMan

QA Juggler
well normally HDD life compaters the RMP n heat Generation ratio..so may b ur new HDD is Generating too much heat..so its showing 46% ...try to keep ur space near hdd free...and thn see if it works....

yash

I draw every day
maybe hhhlife isnt the best software to diagnose ur hdd...

@vijay what do u mean by hdd performance and how is that measured?

OP
kjuvale

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
now the temp of my hdd is 45-47degree cel. is it okay or not.
also the software is showing increament in hdd health everyday by 2% . now it is showin as 51%..
and thanks to all for sugesstions and reply.

amitsaudy said:

fully agree with this.

You can safely ignore that warning. Do make sure of one thing. Install Symantec Partition Magic and check for disk geometry errors.If there's none, u can be sure there's no harm.

I once had a disk geometry error on my 160GB SATA Samsung, and performance was reduced to 44%, later i repartitioned with DM and it came to 66% , while my old 80GB Seagate shows 76%

kjuvale said:
now the temp of my hdd is 45-47degree cel. is it okay or not.
also the software is showing increament in hdd health everyday by 2% . now it is showin as 51%..
and thanks to all for sugesstions and reply.

the temp check is not at all reliable, if u have temp monitoring from your motherboard software like in case of Intel mbs, just go by that. On my 80GB Sagate HDD it always rise up to 52'C in about 20mins.Don't worry

yash said:
maybe hhhlife isnt the best software to diagnose ur hdd...

@vijay what do u mean by hdd performance and how is that measured?

well these are the output provided by the HDDlife software, the latest version shows disk usage stats also.And provides warning for low disk space too

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
I think it's basically SMART monitoring dependant and is not that much reliable.Just use it as a prior warning to fatal crashes so that u can have time for a proper backup.

use motherboard s/w for temp. monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom