Query about Data cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Recently my original IDE data cable (HDD one) stopped working properly so i decided to change it.
I bought as a replacement, a 20 Rs. data cable. Now i'm apprehensive to put it on with such a cheap cable.
Please advice me whether i should go for something else? Also, does choice of cable affect the speed of my HDD?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if thats a 40 conductor cable ( should be used with ide optical drive only ) the speed will be reduced if u use it with hdd.
But in no way it will harm your HDD.
But ide 80 conductor cable should be used with hdd to retain the maximum speed.

To know the difference between these two types of cable take a look @ :
*www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
if thats a 40 conductor cable ( should be used with ide optical drive only ) the speed will be reduced if u use it with hdd.
But in no way it will harm your HDD.
But ide 80 conductor cable should be used with hdd to retain the maximum speed.

To know the difference between these two types of cable take a look @ :
+1
get the 80 conductor one

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Yes get the 80-pin IDE cable, should cost around Rs.50 for good ones. The cheap ones feel flimsy and the clips at the end are of really bad quality.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ide optical generally ships with 40 conductor cables
My sony dvd rom drive also ships with 40 conductor cable & it is running @ udma 4 :D

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I did not understand that. I hav currently attached a 40wire cable to my optical drive that shows udma 2. So if i connect an 80 wire cable, then will it give me speeds > udma2 :confused:
U need to check the manual/specs. If it says UDMA4 go with an 80 conductor cable. If UDMA2 then 40 is sufficient (putting in an 80 won't hurt in anyway!)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
bt how do u diffentiate a 20 & 50 rs data cable ? as both may look the same ....

Take a look @ here :

got this 40 pin ide cable .... after attaching it & booting my pc ..... my display goes 2 minimum [8 bits] & no other option 2 increase it or reset it ....

& after i unplug this cable everthing is normal ..... is the cable or mb faulty ????

What you are attaching this cable with ? A optical Drive or HDD.
If Hdd - then you should always use the 80 pin conductor cable.

I think that cable is faulty. Try changing that cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom