Q6600 or Q6700 or Q9300 or Q9450

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
This is the biggest question in my mind...

i am planning to get a new Rig very soon and would have taken that already if i had no news of Q9450 arrival. I saw that Q9450 has 12MB cache and Q6600 which was my option at that time is 8MB...

now some people say Q9300 is much better than Q6600 and some say 6700 is better VFM...

Please experts comments on this... which is the best one to buy compared to the money it drains... My choice for Motherboard is Abit IX38 QuadGT....

Also if possible support ur options with a valid reason

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
arey, dont even think about it. go for q9450.
its the costliest, but and also the latest and fastest.

and if you want to save some cash, then go for q9300.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
well some say that Q9450 can be over clocked to 4ghz and Q6600 can go to 3.7ghz... so is 7k extra worth that 300mhz.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Think bout the power it wud save and the lesser heat it generates, being a 45nm.
And u can do better oc w/o an aftermarket cooling and save some bucks on PSU with the lower power consumption of CPU(though not a big gap).

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
see i have already bought TM Ultra 120 Extreme and will be getting a corsair HX620... rest componets include Abit IX38 QuadGT, a cheaper GPU ( as i will purchase 4XXX ATI when it is available) ... CM 690 and Corsair 2X2gb 800MHz DDR2 RAM...

so what will u suggest

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
So i think u can oc better on it(TM Ultra) and ur PSU cab juice more devices.
BTW dun get Q6600, its getting common these days and somewat an old proccy.
For same clocks E8xxx outperforms E7xxx nd E6xxx and also Q9xxx outperforms Q6xxx.
And Q9450 makes sure ur future HD 4870 or X2 performance wudnt be bottlenecked by proccy.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Q6600 and Q6700 are based on older core having a on a 65nm fabrication and die size of 2 ×143 mm². It also has a 1066MHz FSB, 1.372max voltage, 95W TDP.

On the other hand

Q9600 and Q9450 are on 45nm fabrication, die size is 2 × 107 mm² , FSB of 1333Mhz, 1.36V max and 0.7 min voltage, 95W TDP.

As per the specs, the 9x series will be smaller in size, have lower power consumption, much more faster.

Hence, If you can afford 9300, go for is. There isn't much price difference between 9300 and 9450 but since you can overclock it, you can increase the clock speed of 9300 beyond that of 9450.

^^wow. this is my 800th post :)

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Ya, 9300 also makes a gud buy
BTW only get Q9450 if it isnt much costlier than Q9300

5k dun do justice for a Q9450 over Q9300.
Get lower timings Ram instead for that xtra 5k or do a raid 0.
raid 0 makes more sense as HDD read/write speeda is one of the main factor slowing down the system response nd game load times.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Congrats on ur 800th post...

Now is there anyone who has overclocked 9300 or 9450 already... and any idea how it will perform with Abit IX38 Quad

jasku

In the zone
Dude quite frankly you should go for the Q6700, it will more than satisfy your need and its 10x multiplyer makes ocing a breeze.

Its available for about 10,400 I really think its VFM, yea u can go for the 9XXX but I think this is way better.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Ok now that, you have more or less made up ur mind. lets concentrate on, "where to buy q9450?".

@techtronic & nish_higher - could you, plz post some more details about ur purchase of q9450? eg name of shop, contact nos, etc?

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Dude quite frankly you should go for the Q6700, it will more than satisfy your need and its 10x multiplyer makes ocing a breeze.

Its available for about 10,400 I really think its VFM, yea u can go for the 9XXX but I think this is way better.

Does anyone support this... and any explanatin for the same

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^nope. I don't. The reason: From fab to FSB speed, 9x series have a definite advantage. They are much much better when it comes to power. Don't just look at what it is now. apps are getting more and more powerful and games are getting bigger and bigger.

And the price difference between Q6600 and Q9300 is less than 3k. Already 9300 is showing around 10% performance advantage in applications over Q6600.

And with DDR3 coming in fast, once we see DDR3-1333MHz, Q9300 will have a definitely advantage due to it's FSB speed.

and btw, Q9450 has double the L2 cache that Q9300 has. but costs another 3k more.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
have a look at these

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_6.html#sect0

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_14.html#sect0

but then again , are u going to OC ur cpu ( even if its q6600 ) to greater than 3.5Ghz ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. one thing I forgot to mention is E8500 dual core CPU based on same 45nm fabrication. This processor is super fast processor and even beats quad core QX9650 and beats Q6850 in every benchmark thrown at it. But once the apps take advantage of four core, the tables will turn and quad core proccys will take a clear lead.

the E8500 runs at 3.1GHz, has 9.5x multiplier which means that it is a pretty good overclocker, has 1333MHz FSB, 6Mb L2 cache, very low 65W TDP.

with good care, you can get this to 4.2GHz on air cooling.

Last edited:
OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i will take a quad core for sure... now i am just to decide which one...

According to the reviews... Q6700 can be overclocked to 4ghz where as 9300 can go only till 3.5 ghz...

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Ok now that, you have more or less made up ur mind. lets concentrate on, "where to buy q9450?".

@techtronic & nish_higher - could you, plz post some more details about ur purchase of q9450? eg name of shop, contact nos, etc?

Q9450 bought by my frnd for me from mumbai and sent to me.i will give u contact number but it was costly,i dont know if due to prduct launch or what.780i was purchased from neweggg

a better place to buy this in india is lynx-india , chandigarh

i have not fiddled with this rig yet coz i dont have a gfx card..yet i used my 8600gts .overclocked it to 3.8ghz with a thermalright Ultima 90i, system stable.will go beyond this as soon as my gfx card arrives (already bought).
and since my Q6600 runs at 3.8ghz the only difference it makes is SSE4 in video encoding in vegas trial.although times were not so different.i'd pick up a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.8ghz ,get a good gfx card for that money i save and have a great rig rather than spending 8k more on a proccy.

@ ajay u have already got a 120i , temps are no criteria in choosing a proccy now. so manufacturing process does not matter,does it?

heat issues with Q6600-->>there are many ppl running it at 3.2-3.4ghz with stock cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom