pyQt or pyGTK or wxWidgets or QT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Am still confused as to which one I select for making applications.

Though I like pyGTK but then platform independence is not there completely.

QT is platform independent bu IMO looks too fugly widowish GUI made for linux.

Tell me what to use, or learning which one will encompass others too.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Am still confused as to which one I select for making applications.

Though I like pyGTK but then platform independence is not there completely.

QT is platform independent bu IMO looks too fugly widowish GUI made for linux.

Tell me what to use, or learning which one will encompass others too.

Agar meri mane to bhai QT seekh le phata phat. baki teri marzi hai. :D
btw what app u wanna make ?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
QT ! But you will have open source your work. I hope that's ok with you.
Else GTK. Its also nice. And cool. But harder.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yup it will be open source. Guess i have to give a try to pyGTK and QT. Then select the one as per the requirement.

QT is more developed than GTK. Select PyQT or just plain C++ QT.

The GUI is NOT fugly. It just depends on the theme you use. And the last thing it looks like on MY computer is windows. Check out the QT theme in KDE4 if you want to know what I mean.

I myself am trying to learn QT, and I must say I am already impressed after studying some of its theory part.

Many good software are written in QT, the most notable being Opera, followed by VLC Media Player. VLC actually SWITCHED from wxWidgets to QT4 because the later is easier to program with and has more features.

And yeah, for QT, you have two choices - use QtDesigner or KDevelop-Designer. The former is for general purpose apps (recommended) and the later is for KDE apps (only with KDE).

I recommend QtDesigner.

For GTK there is Glade.

QtDesigner is much better.

The coding can be done in any language once you produce the GUI source code using the interface designer.

Last edited:
OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^that was really helpful

Yup I see VLC has got qt interface change, and now its even more feature rich (there is one puzzle game too:D)

I will download qtdesigner now.

^^that was really helpful

Yup I see VLC has got qt interface change, and now its even more feature rich (there is one puzzle game too:D)

I will download qtdesigner now.
The puzzle part was videolan's idea of an easter egg.

Last edited:

Sykora

I see right through you.
@T159: Qt is one of the most mature toolkits available, far more than gtk or wx imo, and looks much better. The only drawback is that it's not exactly simple to learn. It took me quit some time to learn pyqt to any level of proficiency, but it got much simpler after I stopped coding everything and started using qtdesigner.

Bottom line : use pyqt4

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I'll vote for PyQt4 too. And the UI it shows is pretty native to both KDE and GNOME for Linux, and Cleanlooks style works for other environments. (Use different styles using the -style parameter, QGtkStyle is seperate for now but will be included in Qt 4.5.0)

PyGTK was a nightmare to use, but was very easy to start with. But I liked the OOP concepts of PyQt over other styles of use as in PyGTK and WxPython. Not to mention the code's completely cross-platform too. :)

@ Sykora and QwertyManiac:

I just finished with some basic part of QT as far as theory is concerned and I am VERY impressed. But I didn't start serious coding yet. I have a decent usable level of knowledge of C++ and no knowledge of python.

So I am not yet very sure if I should learn python first and then start serious QT or learn QT directly using my C++ knowledge.

What would you advice ? Currently, I am LOVING C++. Should I stick to it or move to Python ? I am terribly impressed with the concepts of python, though I didn't code much with it except very very basic stuff.

I have not yet started using external libraries in C++, and so far my programs have been limited to standard library code. Will I experence any difficulty when I start using external libraries like ncurses and QT4 ???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@MetalheadGautham - As long as you know your pointers and references, along with major Object-Oriented concepts like Inheritance, etc. you should do just fine with Qt and C++. Afterall it was built from scratch with the same language. The assistant would be more handy. :)

@T159 - You could check out Eric4, its developed for PyQt4 specially and is free. I prefer a simple editor though, since designer and pyuic4 does most of the GUI work for me, gedit/vim for the rest suffices.

Eclipse has a Qt 4 plugin too, but I haven't tried that out yet.

And its Qt, not QT, nor pyQt but PyQt. P's always been capital when reffering to Python-based tools. :)

@MetalheadGautham - As long as you know your pointers and references, along with major Object-Oriented concepts like Inheritance, etc. you should do just fine with Qt and C++. Afterall it was built from scratch with the same language. The assistant would be more handy. :)
Yeah I know all those to a good enough extent. So shall I jump into Qt4 or first study python ? And would studying ncurses before studying Qt4 help me in any way ? Is ncurses easier than Qt4 ? :D

@T159 - You could check out Eric4, its developed for PyQt4 specially and is free. I prefer a simple editor though, since designer and pyuic4 does most of the GUI work for me, gedit/vim for the rest suffices.
I hope Eric4 is made in Qt4 ?

And its Qt, not QT, nor pyQt but PyQt. P's always been capital when reffering to Python-based tools. :)
/me kills QwertyM. TO HELL WITH SPELLING :mad:

And when I design GUI for my apps in QtDesigner, how do I go about editing it to make it a REAL app ? I am using C++ instead of Python since I am already familiar with it.

Does QtDesigner sport an in-built C++ IDE for its apps or is the editing done by editing the resultant source code ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
There are two ways.

1. To generate appropriate source files of the GUI via uic. (Or by including the form files into the .pro file to let qmake do so automatically)
2. To use the QUiLoader class and load the .ui file directly and load it into a QWidget*.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Not any I know of. But there's Eclipse and Visual Studio integration tools offered by Trolltech themselves which *might* allow that, or maybe not since Qt's philosophy differs from these click and code policies. Once you actually try Qt 4.4, you will know how that actually makes sense. There's a lot of inheritance and overloading involved in making Widgets work as you desire.

Really ?

Well, the problem is, I am kinda n00bish at reading someone else's code in C++.
So, the readability of QT 4.4 generated code worries me.

You mean to say QtDesigner outputs code which is full of empty functions in place of dialogue boxes which I need to use the "normal" way assuming they are any other function ?

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
aye aye better learn VB then :D

@QM

I found glade to be quite easy :p may be I will love to work on PyQt4 and PyGTK

thanks for correcting the syntax :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom