pyQt or pyGTK or wxWidgets or QT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@MetalheadGautham - No one ever reads the code Designer auto-generates. Its part of your work its doing, visually. And no, it does not work that way, it is not part of the Microsoft SDK frameworks, it has its own set of styles and rules. And these IMO are much cleaner. Qt was not developed to help a newbie programmer code easily, but rather for a good programmer to develop better code. ( And that's from #qt ;) )

@T159 - GTK's Glade with its (now horrid to me) Box packing style was nice, until I chanced upon QLayout in Qt's Designer :))

But yep, worth knowing both. Qt's bad for commercial targets however. They charge a lot...

@MetalheadGautham - No one ever reads the code Designer auto-generates. Its part of your work its doing, visually. And no, it does not work that way, it is not part of the Microsoft SDK frameworks, it has its own set of styles and rules. And these IMO are much cleaner. Qt was not developed to help a newbie programmer code easily, but rather for a good programmer to develop better code. ( And that's from #qt ;) )
Question #1: Microsoft ? When did it come in ?
Question #2: Then HOW do I use QtDesigner generated code ?
Question #3: Newbie ? Well, then I ask again, should I try to learn ncurses first ?

Sykora

I see right through you.
@MHG :

Q #2 :
In the case of PyQt, first you use designer to design your interface. You save that as a .ui file, which is an xml format. After that, you use pyuic to convert ui files to py files which contain classes representing the ui you created. These classes can then be subclassed to do whatever you want.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
#1 - Your obsession with double-click and code. Its not so flexible here, more low-level since it allows you to change the widget's behavior and the screen painting involved than just properties. You can say its more open in an easy way.

#2 - Same as Sykora said applies for C++ too. Here is a simple QWidget example .ui file and its generated output you can subclass to add methods, etc, etc. I'd already explained about the two ways earlier in my posts (uic and QUiLoader)

#3 - I don't know about ncurses, it seemed pretty simple to use (esp. via Python) and what it does is way different from what Qt does. If you are interested in developing command line window applications, then do learn ncurses, nothing better than it. If its X, go for Qt. Using Qt in KDE is much more fun however, if you don't mind the dependencies. :)

#1 - Your obsession with double-click and code. Its not so flexible here, more low-level since it allows you to change the widget's behavior and the screen painting involved than just properties. You can say its more open in an easy way.

#2 - Same as Sykora said applies for C++ too. Here is a simple QWidget example .ui file and its generated output you can subclass to add methods, etc, etc. I'd already explained about the two ways earlier in my posts (uic and QUiLoader)

#3 - I don't know about ncurses, it seemed pretty simple to use (esp. via Python) and what it does is way different from what Qt does. If you are interested in developing command line window applications, then do learn ncurses, nothing better than it. If its X, go for Qt. Using Qt in KDE is much more fun however, if you don't mind the dependencies. :)
1. I am NOT obsessed with double click and code. I just want the output to be readable enough so that I can code comfortably. Infact, I have NEVER EVER used double click code in my life, and I don't want to try new things in a time when I already know some other way (text code) which is anyway the recommended way to code.

2. Hmm... appears neat. Atleast, it appears simple enough, such that even a n00b like me is able to read it and understand it. I guess I might start coding in it afterall...

3. Well, I just LOVE ncurses based GUIs. Because that doesn't need much dependencies and can be run even on a bare bones distro. I have used several ncurses programs myself and I feel that given the right purpose, they needn't be inferior to X programs at all. And yeah, I too like Qt in KDE, but I want it to be runnable on Gnome as well, since my user base might also consist of gnome/gtk fanboys. ;)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You perhaps didn't quite get what I meant by Qt in KDE. Try for yourself and see. ;)

Why was curses named so anyway? The answer keeps me away from it. *elouai.com/images/yahoo/54.gif

aditya_v

Broken In
There is somethin i would like to add to this topic:
I had to face this debate last yr too. I choose GTK because its more widely used and all the Linux mobile platforms are based/derivatives of Gtk. Since the x86 mobile market is going to rapidly develop by next year, i started developin apps using Gtk + clutter for UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom