PSU price & confusion

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Max budget: 10-10.5K (can't be extended)

Options: Corsair TX850V2, HX750, HX850, AX750.

Requirements: Should be able to power up 2xGTX680 (which will be added later on) with a 2600K overclocked to 3.8GHz and one xonar DX.

P.S. this one is for my friend who is building his gaming rig.

I got these quotes from MD:
HX750 @8,400/- (looks a bit overpriced)
HX850 @10,400/- (looks like way too much overpriced) (?)
AX750 @11,200/- (out of budget)

At Vedant, all of these are out of stock, will get them next week & so is the quote.

Suggest along with the shop to buy.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Why do you think they're overpriced ? Almost every site shows more or less same price.
btw target at least for 850W.

OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
My HX850 cost me 9.2K+4% VAT which is bought in the month of July.
Comparing that price to the present prices, well, its overpriced. Ain't it?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 680 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 680 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

HX750 is as good as any 850W bronze certified PSU I think. Of course, little headroom will be available for further expansion.

OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^ AFAIK, no further expansion will be there in near future. He is a professional animator, not a gamer, so I also don't think he will be adding any other card as dedicated phyx card or something like that.
And you said that from HX750, more than 750watt of power can be extracted?
Here, I'm concerned about mild OC that would be done by him.

Petrol used to cost 25/- isn't it?

I thought that general trend with PC components is the price keeps decreasing. :unsure:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
That damn dollar rate has increased.

If he is a professional animator and not a gamer, is 680 SLI a wise purchase?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^ AFAIK, no further expansion will be there in near future. He is a professional animator, not a gamer, so I also don't think he will be adding any other card as dedicated phyx card or something like that.
And you said that from HX750, more than 750watt of power can be extracted?
Here, I'm concerned about mild OC that would be done by him.

It can deliver up to 900W !

Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

I thought that general trend with PC components is the price keeps decreasing. :unsure:

Sadly the current trend is opposite.

That's exactly I was thinking. Better to invest in quadro IMO.

OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

He thinks so. His fellow colleagues recommended him gtx680 SLI. God knows what they think.

That damn dollar rate has increased.

Forgot that. :-( Then we should look for old stock of HX850. If not found, then buy new HX850.

BTW, Who is present distributor of Corsair in India? Looks like Tirupati is no longer holding that position (according to their website).
And any contact number of the distributor will be helpful.

dibya_kol

In the zone
HX750 is good enough for that rig. And guru3d is one of the best site and they usaly use i7-965 for benches, which is oced as well. And i think 2600k@3.8 that is turbo enabled only, so HX750 is more than enough.

BTW why 2x680 ? Do u need 100+ fps in every games ?? :eek:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he is open to purchase second-hand, couple of units are on sale at Erodov.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Single gtx680 is consuming b/w 350-400W. Are you sure 2x680 + OCed 2600k + blha blah would come under HX750?

no. a highend system with a GTX680 will require 500W power supply. so add another GTX680, total power requirement jumps to 700W. a 750W unit should handle it just fine.

Top Bottom