psu + gpu querry

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
i got a corsair vs 450 psu along with c2q q6600, 8 gig ram and Sapphire HD 5670.
i am looking to buy a 7850 or 7870 gpu which require 500 W of power. will these cards work on the said psu.
If not, need a suggestion between 7770 oc ed or 650 ti.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
A 7870 will run FINE with your PSU.. Although its not recommended, HD 7xxx series is highly powerefficient..
I used to run a power hungry HD 6870 without any issues and it was far from danger power threshold

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, VS450 is not recommended for HD 7870. 7870's power consumption is like older HD 6850 which in turns requires a good 450W + power supply like Corsair VX540 which, in load can deliver power up to 500W. Also VS series from Corsair is mainly for office and home PC, not for handling a gaming system. Your Processor is a older Core 2 Quad, based on 65nm fabrication and also not that power efficient. So better opt for something better like Corsair CX 500 V2 or Antec VP550.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
VS series is highly underrated, perhaps because of lack of reviews.. Please read this before commenting
According to the review, it does use CapXon capacitors but then again, the CX series also uses them..
Moreover, it provides enough current in the +12V rails, enough for a HD 7870 atleast .. it's not rated at 80Plus certified, but it managed to provide over 80% efficiency under 450 watt (overvolting it resulted in a drop of efficiency)..
and quote
Excellent ripple suppression

In case of OP, it doesnt make any sense to spend 3.5k more for just crossing a 30-40 watt threshold.. Granted, VS series isnt as good as the others, but it will still EASILY manage the required power rating for OP..
If however OP is willing to upgrade his entire rig or plans on going for a powerhungry GPU in the future, then by all means go for a GS600 or alternative

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
i think using a 7850 or the 7870 with my said cpu will lead to bottleneck. Also both said cards are a little out of my budget now.

So it boils down to a choice between the 7770 OC ed or the 650ti. Any suggestion?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
i got a corsair vs 450 psu along with c2q q6600, 8 gig ram and Sapphire HD 5670.
i am looking to buy a 7850 or 7870 gpu which require 500 W of power. will these cards work on the said psu.
If not, need a suggestion between 7770 oc ed or 650 ti.

You can go for Zotac GTX650 Ti Boost for 13,400 from flipkart.com which needs a 450w PSU rather than 500w PSU which is perfectly suitable to you without ever needing to change your PSU.OK.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
If your budget is low, get Seasonic SS400BT. I've run Metro Last light ( full settings ) on GTX 670 + i5 2500k on full hd monitor for at least 2 hrs and it doesn't sweat. If you think the PSU is over heating or working too hard, just check the airflow of psu, its acceptable within limits (lukewarm).

Top Bottom