"Prosperity can't happen in democracy"

Renny

Padawan
I assume you are talking about economic development leading to an overall rise in per capita income of the people?

Partially you're correct, an authoratarian regime can build infrastructure with great speed and implement reforms with almost zero opposition,
In a democracy it land aquisition for infra projects and implementing reforms would take a lot of time due to oppostion parties/people's opposition,
Imagine mass corruption in an authoritarian state - none can question/expose the ruling class, but in a democracy we can question and even sack the "rulers",

Prosperty can happen in both a democracy or an authoritarian state, basically what matters is the way the people work and to some extent honesty.

-Stop propagating the caste system, have no caste census and don't divide people into castes, everyone is equal and is first an Indian and then comes your religion, thats it, no more extensions like caste etc.

-Stop favouritism/petty politics especially in PSUs.

-Focus on indigeneous development rather than importing - for this a strong industrial base is needed which India lacks to some extent.

-Focus on infrastructure development to create better supply chains, compensate well those who have parted with their land.

Well these are some things we could do to make our democracy more efficient.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
When I compare our time with ancient times...when various kings used to rule our land.

So much more they had done for public. They ruled us, tortured us but at the end to leave their impression on history they had done things that were actually good for that particular region. Sometimes for nation even.

In democracy you can't make everyone happy. Someone or other will always oppose your steps.

doomgiver

Warframe
wrong. prosperity can happen in a democracy, in an ideal case, that is.

irl, everyone rushes to fill their bank accounts and try to fsck other people up so that they can take their share too.

no matter what is the state policy, there will ALWAYS be some form of corruption or misuse. you cannot escape it, its human nature, built, sewn, hammered, riveted, welded and fevi-quik'd into our very genes.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Wrong. Check out the European Nations.

Prosperity cannot happen in a democracy in which majority of the population is so backward that they will never make a correct choice and choose wrong leaders based on their medieval standards of living. And what's the alternative? Cleverly disguised form of Fascism which is called Communism?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Our friend rhitwick here is so dejected by the ongoing scams and scandals that he has lost faith in people power (democracy).

Please vote next time. And if possible, do not vote for the corrupt. If not successful, try next time and the next time and the next time until you succeed. I believe not all in this country are dishonest. Please be part of anti-corruption organizations NGOs and rallies. If this is not possible be brave enough to wage a war against corruption at personal level. You will definitely see a change. Government does not fear Supreme court that much as they fear common people.

About this "change" thing, I have two motivational stories that I would like to share with you. Kindly bear with me.

First one, maybe heard/read by some of you in newspaper.
"Once I was jogging at the shores of Arabian Sea like every morning when I saw a crazy man who was throwing stones into the sea. I ignored him and ran ahead. When I passed through the same point again, that man was still throwing stones into the sea. But as I could get a clear view of him this time, he was not "looking" crazy. That gave me courage to go closer to him. I realized that he was not throwing stones, but it were star fishes who were stranded on the beach due to high tide and strong waves. That kind gentleman was trying to save the lives of poor creatures. I went a little more closer and asked him why was he doing such futile efforts. It is not gonna save lives of all the millions of star fishes on thousands of beaches around the globe. It is not going to make any change. It does not matter.

That crazy fellow kept throwing the starfishes, and then took a fish, showed it to me, threw it in water and said "it matters to him" :)

I do not know if the above story was real or just made up to motivate people but this second one happened in front of me.
Not more than a week ago when I was going for work as usual. Alongside outer ring road, there are service roads (a narrow two lane road) for small vehicles like cars, autos and bikes. I am also using that regularly. So one day I am in my car waiting in the queue. Cab drivers and autos as usual who do not care about the civil sense, disregard queues and drive on the wrong side of the road to overtake people in queue. This results in jam at the point where they approach vehicles coming from other side. I found it best just to wait in the queue. But the man behind me in a black Scorpio had enough of this. That person, everytime he saw a cab/auto approaching from wrong direction, got out of his vehicle and stopped those people. I was not surprised to see that as soon as he moved back to his vehicle, those guys went ahead paying no heed to his advice. Few of them tried to run over this gentleman. Few minutes later I saw another person joining the cause and they made a cab move back to join the queue.

To be honest with you guys, I didn't step out of my car but it certainly motivated me to do something when I see things going in wrong direction. I am sure next time such thing happens, I will surely be on road. Whether I am able to stop anyone or not, I am sure it will change few minds like I did. :)

Stuge

Youngling
First : Democracy in India isn't matured

Secondly :Root cause of our problem that we are facing today is over-population .121billion Gosh !! .MOst of the people are poor and backward.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Gagan, incidents you have mentioned are from personal level change. I'm talking about large scale events.

@Gagan and @Stuge, Dictatorship, if not always, sometimes benifits a nation.

Only thing is strict implementation of law would do that in democracy too. But the diff. is in democracy someone would file a PIL and the law would be stalled for infinity to come into light.

In democracy Govt. just can't force people to do something. Maybe the action would in long run not only benefit the common men but help prosper our nations, still the implementation would go unde so many reviews, cases, changes that the actual implemantation would be irrelevant when it would be approved for implementation.

In democracy, common men are tortured and their voices are muffled to fullfil a decision/wish of the then dictator.

Sometimes the wishes are crazy but sometimes they actually help the nation.

@sammy, china has communalism and every other country has capitalism.
Communalism says equal wealth (or in other words you have nothing to call your own, everything belongs to govt.) and in capitalism you can own things.

Capitalism makes rich and poor division and communalism has uncertanity.

I'm not ashamed to say that I prefer capitalism. I think it actually pay me what I deserve or I earned for my hard work and intellect. I think If I earn 2k per day, I deserve it and if you don't, you lag in some aspects than me.

I've thought a lot about it and I found even strict implementation of law is only possible in dictatorship. May be I'm too overwhelmed by the happennings around me and I fail to see the ray of hope beyond these.

abhidev

Human Spambot
i think the root cause of all the problems is corruption.....if it can be stopped then development can be much faster.....

D

Deleted member 26636

Wrong. Check out the European Nations.

Prosperity cannot happen in a democracy in which majority of the population is so backward that they will never make a correct choice and choose wrong leaders based on their medieval standards of living. And what's the alternative? Cleverly disguised form of Fascism which is called Communism?

very well said...

doomgiver

Warframe
both communism and capitalism are evil.
communism takes away the basic reason for trying hard and putting in good efforts by making them equal to that done by others, even if they have not done half of what you have done.
capitalism corrupts the person and forces him into a rat-race and he is forced to work harder in order to keep up with the rest.

in one system, individuality is repressed, in the other, exploitation is encouraged

revolt

Banned
Prosperity will never come by doing stupid acts it is achieved by revolutions.We should start a revolution against those who we think are not quite right.Not towards the entire government.
But before taking the step we should be 95% sure that we are taking the right step and it will be beneficial for 100s of people atleast.

tkin

Back to school!!
*www.206proof.com/forum/extensions/Vanillacons/smilies/user%20created/diethreaddie.jpg

Revolution? For what? We are discussing why Democracy actually hinders progress(everyone thinks differently).

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
List of modern dictators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not one prosperous country there.Add gross violation of human rights to existing poverty if you want dictatorship.

All the wannabe revolutionaries should understand that Democracy is the least worst system out there.It can work fairly well with regulated capitalism.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Revolutions end up providing opportunities to a authoritative regime.

Last edited:

patrick4

Chief
I would much rather prefer to live in a Monarchy (or maybe i just have been playing too many strategy PC games and watching too many movies).. But jusy hear me out.

Imagine a Monarchy (kings rule) where there are well defined laws and the appropriate means to execute them. King is unconditionally loved by all his subjects. (if you dont like king, you are murdered ot jailed)

Dont all companies/ workplaces in the world follow the monarchy system. King is CEO :)
law makers and executers are the HR. If you dont like your CEO you are screwd..

If we can learn to accept such a system at work and still live with it, why not extend it outside at a macro level..

Sorry, maybe a little offtopic.. but seemed to fit the general context..

Top Bottom