Problems with 9600 GT... Seeking advice on SMPS/PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D

DSK_2xV

Broken In
Just a little update… nothing major, just that my GPU got fried… literally! And the SMPS was also messed up… and this happened within one week! Since then I was having a hard time getting a refund from the seller, but finally did get one… and now I’ve bought a Plait 9800 and… and a Crosair VX 450W SMPS… i bought them online, and not from the 2 'computer shops' i have in my dump of a tier three 'town'... and yes, I’ve learned my lesson… when you buy something expensive it may be painful on your pocket once, but its always more painful to buy something cheap and substandard!

I have a Geforce 9600 GT. And I highly recommend the Corsair VX 450W. Sure, it's expensive..but it's very reliable. Do not go for the I-BALL Smps. Thanks to it, my old Geforce 6600 GT went out the window.

Dude, I so wish that I had taken what you had said as the gospel truth!

acewin

Point Blanc
well, now you should have a perfect belief in what iBall is, I never trusted and will never trust any product from iBall. have seen my frns using keyboard mouse cabinets(damn cabinets can give u electric shock easily their earthing is bad), and do not talk about their bad PSUs.

OP
D

DSK_2xV

Broken In
well, now you should have a perfect belief in what iBall is, I never trusted and will never trust any product from iBall. have seen my frns using keyboard mouse cabinets(damn cabinets can give u electric shock easily their earthing is bad), and do not talk about their bad PSUs.
Well, I am using an iBall wireless keyboard and mouse and everything seems ok thus far, but its funny that you mention their cabinets because I am using an iBall cabinet and I have been at the receiving end of quite a few jolts from it… somehow I’ve always thought that it was something else, never really knew that this was a standard problem with all iBall cabinets!

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
I too use Circle cabinet.It's really way better than i-ball.
As of smps,check for VIP 500W one.or if you can afford,go for Corsair.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
DSK_2x2:
Read through this whole thread. Sad to see how your GPU burnt out, due to a faulty PSU -- and that on the recommendation of a supplier.

At times, here in India (and specially small towns, where high end equipment is hard to source), we are faced with the dilemma to use low quality stuff.

The rule I follow:

1. Is it critical to my system..?
2. Can it damage my system..?
3. Difficult to replace...?

If all 1,2,3 are 'no' I too go for desi stuff. :)

For example a keyboard, or mouse. They cannot short your system. If they go bad, just throw them out your window (or dog) and get a new one.

I infact use some cheap company speakers as of now. I can 'make do' with it...! :)

Now when deciding on UPS/PSU stuff which is the foundation of your system...go for the best. Believe me, you will sleep well at night...! (while torrents are downloading) :)

Best of luck..!

Last edited:
OP
D

DSK_2xV

Broken In
^^^ Thanks man, both for the sympathy for my situation and for wishing me good luck in sorting everything out...

but my problems continue… I received the SMPS promptly(eBay) however the seller I bought the GPU from(a reputed site) seems to have run out of stock, so they actually shipped me some other GPU... can you believe it? i buy item A, they run out of stock so they ship me item B! and they finally agreed to replace my GPU after a whole bunch of e-mails and STD phone calls...

so now they are offering me the Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512MB, the problem is that it requires two 6 pin connectors while my SMPS only has one… but the GPU does come bundled with an 8-pin IDE connector-to-6-pin connector adapter.

So would it be cool if I use this adapter on one of the spare 8 pin IED cables to power the GPU? I am asking this because personally I’ve never really been a fan of using such adapters and I would have preferred had I received the GPU I had ordered for…

the GPU they are offering me at this link...

they are also offering me a choice between either this or another GPU... the other GPU they are offering me is the ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 512MB, and i get Rs.1,000 back if i go for Zotac... in either case i have to ship the GPU they had wrongly send to me back to them at my cost, which totally stinks! but i would like your opinions on what should i do next? which GPU should i opt for?

lambo

Broken In
If luking for 9800GT I found one interesting product: *www.yantraonline.in/ProdDetails.asp?ItemCode=948
The catch? It doesn't need any additional power input (4-, 6- or 8-pin connector) which means it shud be able to run by basic PSU. Although u will still need to find the reputation of the company (Leadtek). Combine this by Zeb 500 Platinum PSU and u shud be able to get decent setup.

OP
D

DSK_2xV

Broken In
i know... they shipped me the 'Green' edition of the Plait 9800 GT, it also does not need any extra power supply like the 'Super+' edition required... but overall these cards are slightly less powerful than the ones that do requre the additional power suply however what they don't require are very expensive 'high end' SMPS...

but you see, the thing is that i have already bought a 'high end' SMPS from Crossair... so i pretty much don't care that these cards don't need additional power supply... i don't care because i would now want a GPU that requires such additional power supply...

so between the two models being suggested by the seller now, which one should i go in for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom