Problem with Xvid Aspect Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahratla

Journeyman
I have several DVDs which are converted into Xvid format. I want to watch them on my CRT TV with my standalone DVD player. However, even if I use 4:3 aspect ratio and resolution like 640x480 or 352x240 that are not widescreen format (I used smaller resolution as I want the file size to be smaller so that I can keep more movies on a DVD), some parts on the left and right sides of the videos are still missing. How could this happen and kindly let me know how to resolve it? Besides, what are the standard/safe settings for bit rate, resolution, frame rate , audio settings etc. so that the Xvid videos are always compatible with any standalone DVD player?

mittyr

silentFOX
@lahratla

...resolution like 640x480 or 352x240 that are not widescreen format...

These are full screen resolution, AR : 1.333 (4:3 = 1.333). What you need is 1.777 (16:9 = 1.777).

- Have you removed the black borders from the dvd-video? If so, this is wrong resolution/aspect ratio.

- What you use to convert ?

- Have you tried diff display settings in your tv/dvd player. Do check properly before answering any of this.

OP
lahratla

lahratla

Journeyman
@ mittyr. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Initially, I didn't change the aspect ratio (which is usually 16:9). But my DVD player cut out some portions on the left and right sides. So I thought the aspect ratio was required to be changed to full resolution (4:3). But still this does not help.

As for conversion, I use AVS Video Editor and Xilisoft Video Converter.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I guess videos u converted was out of safe area. only from left & right sides are cut as you must have remove black borders so top and Bottom is safe but Right & left is gone.

Or

You must have zoomed the video to remove black border. so left & right is gone

Try "Megui" best xvid converter .

OP
lahratla

lahratla

Journeyman
@clmlbx
Thanks for you reply. I've converted the videos which are in widescreen format to full size(4:3) format so that they fit in my 29"inch conventional TV. When I watched them in my PC, they appeared fully, but when I played in my DVD player, black borders on the left and right sides did not appear and some of the sides (parts of the movie) are even missing. May be the problem is due to my DVD player.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I am sure ur problem is because ur videos are out of safe area.

16:9 to 4:3 (video is out of safe are.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom