Problem with Viewsonic VX1932wm LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
vinaych said:
Nice points there, drafter

Well, my VX 1932 woes ended yesterday night..

I bought a HP w1907 :)
Well, also tested the LG L194WT in the dealer's shop.. I found 2 stuck pixels..
and when compared with the color and the video playback, HP w1907 is way ahead than the LG model..
So, shelled out extra cash and got the looker-monitor

Brief experience with HP w1907:
=========================
The monitor when used with the factory settings is very bright...
I felt that it has an extra reddish tinge when compared to the blues and the greens.

After calibrating it and setting the gamma (value = 2.2), it is confrontable to work with for longer periods.

I don't know if it is for the glossy screen or the HP monitor itself, the black levels are very good.. back light bleed is very minimal..

yes, the movie playback is very good..
The monitor has 'QuickModes' that you could use to switch between different modes. These being, Movie, Photo, Text and Custom.
Setting the modes to the movie and photo modes make the color too bright.. and you just can't view any text at this setting.. The letters of the text has some kind of reddish and greenish shadows associated with it. (I'm guessing this has to do with higher gamma values in these modes and also the use of a VGA input!)
I just calibrated the monitor with the text mode settings even for movie watching..

Shall try calibrating my monitor more for better results..

PS: My dealer said, "U might have got a defective piece on the 1932wm! why don't you try the 1930?"
"no thanks!!" :D

congrats vinay:)

i will be getting the dvi cabl very soon,
what abt you...
i wanna c what this baby can do with dvi...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
spitfire said:
Hey...My dealer is ready for a replacement unit.I have three choices..

1.VG1930
2.VA1912WM + DVI Cable

3.VX922 (non widescreen)

which one I should go for ??? VX922 looks tempting but its not a widescreen..so ??????

Using VX922 for little more than one year. (bought for 17.75K then) Excellent performance. (when it is functioning :rolleyes: )

But had to undergo the horrible process of RMA twice but on both occasions received newer pieces as replacement.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Well off late I am dropping in :p ... I have also facing the issue of Ghosting effect, I did review the TFT, *www.chotocheeta.com/2007/10/05/quick-review-super-flop-view-sonic-vx1932wm/ few days ago...

The choise I would still say I VG1930WM, as if you read the view I have compared them side by side as I own both of them now :(

nothing apart from those paper facts which are differnt in this case...

Some use here have faced issue with VG1930WM also where as I find my one running cool enough...

I have contacted View Conic support just few days ago...

So if the replacement doesnt work out then I would request for replacement for VG instade of VX, as in India in New future I dont thing we would going to neeed HDPC at all

:lol:

OP
vinaych

vinaych

Broken In
Thanks a lot drafter and nishant :)
@drafter: as said by u, content on the glossy screen has a sheen to it
nice experience..

@nishant: I don't have a graphics card man! so, not getting a DVI cable now..

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
Choto Cheeta said:
Well off late I am dropping in :p ... I have also facing the issue of Ghosting effect, I did review the TFT, *www.chotocheeta.com/2007/10/05/quick-review-super-flop-view-sonic-vx1932wm/ few days ago...

The choise I would still say I VG1930WM, as if you read the view I have compared them side by side as I own both of them now :(

nothing apart from those paper facts which are differnt in this case...

Some use here have faced issue with VG1930WM also where as I find my one running cool enough...

I have contacted View Conic support just few days ago...

So if the replacement doesnt work out then I would request for replacement for VG instade of VX, as in India in New future I dont thing we would going to neeed HDPC at all

:lol:

Yups...right now I am also a bit inclined towad the 1930..although I dont like it's design.

HDCP is something we dont really need !

drafter

Broken In
none of the above. no real good choices, if you ask me. all three are older models (missing features you may or may not want--and its not just hdcp).

va1912, from a series two steps lower from your vx1932. i'm beginning to think these viewsonic series affect panel quality as well.

vg1930, for reasons stated in my earlier post--mainly panel uniformity and black levels in videos. as i said, found the vx1932 panel better if you remove the rtc errors.

vx1932 is supposed to be the 2ms successor of vx922. plus it's not widescreen.

i may consider a vx1935wm, if only it were available. i'd check these 19' widescreen models instead.

hp w1907 (glossy) -- looks to be a clear winner but a bit pricey and warranty is shorter.

acer p193w (glossy) -- not sure this is available there. but curious with this one, getting good initial feedback on its 22' sibling, p223w. could be a cheaper alternative to the w1907.

lg l194wt-bf -- apparently there's a newer black version with a dcf of 5000:1

Last edited:

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
drafter said:
none of the above. no real good choices, if you ask me. all three are older models (missing features you may or may not want--and its not just hdcp).

I know that buddy..but I am now looking for a compromise and a way to get out of superflop 1932 pain.

My dealer is also ready to give LG 1952s and Samsung 920NW for replacement. As for 1935..its clearly not available here,the only upper model that is available is VX1945 but I have to pay 1.5k more for that.And I dont want to invest anymore after spending almost 11k on the 1932.

Donno abt the Acer one but HP is certainly not an option for me...its too pricey !

Seriously considering 920nw/bw...any thought on that ?

drafter

Broken In
recent review by xbitlabs (includes 920nw and 192ws)
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-8.html

is that the LG 1952TR? or L192ws? 1952tr is not widescreen.

L192ws and 920nw are lower-end 19' models, according to xbitlabs. in short, no good either. the vg1930 may be better than those two. if you must, then its vx922 vs vg1930. i'd get the vx over vg but then its not widescreen and i don't know about its rtc implementation.

your dealer seems to be pushing mostly lower-end models that should cost (i assume) less than what you paid for your vx1932. i don't know if he's going to refund any difference if you settle for these lower models.

try asking for a LG l194wt-bf (the black version with dynamic contrast 5000:1) or a samsung 931bw (at 2ms GTG, there's some rtc errors with this but judge for yourself if it bothers you to the extent the vx1932wm did, or just turn rtc off it it does.). these models should be more in line with the vx1932wm.

Last edited:
OP
vinaych

vinaych

Broken In
Samsung 920NW doesn't have a DVI port (if that is not a problem!)
and, you can turn off the 'overdrive' feature in Samsung monitors. But, i've heard that you have to turn it off everytime you switch on your monitor.
This is not the case in the newer monitors of Samsung (e.g 206BW), better firmware, i guess.

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
Yes...the dealer will be refunding the extra money. He was pretty clear abt that. According to him he will be getting full refund from viewsonic so he doesnt have any problem in giving me the money back.. (Although he requested me to buy something else from his shop to take the total value surplusing the previous one as according to him refund needs a lot fo paperwork and I just might have to wait for 2-3 hours....Typical and quite expected..heheheh [:p]

Here is the current pricelist he gave me !

I bought my 1932 for Rs 10700/- (All Included)

1.VX 1945 -12300 +VAT @ 4%
2.VG 1930 - 9200 +VAT @ 4%
3.1912WB - 8700 +VAT @ 4%
4.1903WM - 8600 +VAT @ 4%
5.VG2021M -13450 +VAT @ 4%

Samsung :
920NW = 9000 +VAT @ 4%

LG 1952S = 9000 +VAT @ 4%
LG 194W (HDCP) =9200 +VAT @ 4%

So basically I am getting an average 1000rs return ...and after the pain I went through I am looking forword to that !!!!!!!

drafter said:
1952tr is not widescreen.

Ya...buddy..Its not the widescreen one ! But I wont mind a square one !:p

vinaych said:
Samsung 920NW doesn't have a DVI port (if that is not a problem!)
and, you can turn off the 'overdrive' feature in Samsung monitors. But, i've heard that you have to turn it off everytime you switch on your monitor.
This is not the case in the newer monitors of Samsung (e.g 206BW), better firmware, i guess.

Well I wont be buying a separate DVI cable..The cable I got with 1932 is returned to the dealer. So DVI is only useful for me if the cable is coming with the monitor for free...
Frankly speaking I didnt find any difference in picture quality with DVI and D-Sub..Probably the difference is so little that can be easily neglected and surely not worth spendind 800-900..
May be in case of bigger monitors but Its not a that big issue for me !

Last edited:

drafter

Broken In
if you don't mind not getting a widescreen, then get the vx922. pluses are a 'well-controlled' 2ms overdrive and good screen uniformity, according to thg. vx922 uses a TN panel from AU Optronics, unlike the chimei's viewsonic uses for its VA and VG models.

here's the thg review
*www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection/page33.html

if you want a widescreen, among the options you listed and within the same price range, it's between the vg1930 and L194. the L194 you quoted is likely not the newer version, but it's got dynamic contrast at 2000:1 (which should be good for those dark scenes) and a dvi cable whereas vg1930 does not. vg1930 has swivel and height adjustment (nice addition for some users).

i guess, after narrowing it down to a couple of options, all that's left is auditioning these monitors and finding what looks best to your eyes. you may find that i may be just a little too fussy about things (or that i got a bum unit) and that the vg1930 looks better.

personally i'm never getting another viewsonic mainly because of poor customer support. but that's just me.

Last edited:

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
drafter said:
personally i'm never getting another viewsonic mainly because of poor customer support. but that's just me.

Well ..think abt the brighter side too:eek:...I am getting a full refund and the choice to buy ny monitor only because its viewsonic..If it had been a LG or Samsung..I dont think they offer this kind of policy..Although What I've been through (5 times journey to the shop...3 wasted days and almost 500 rs in commuting and cofee ..not to mention the disgust and regret :mad::mad:) I too dont want to indulge in a viewsonic again..

Hey you mentioned abt the L194 being the older version...what are the differences with the newer version...any hardcore firmware change ???

drafter

Broken In
it's more a credit to your dealer with your getting the refund. your dealer may have arranged some swap or rebate deal with the local distributor. manufacturers don't do refunds for customers unless they do some recall of sorts (which is not the case here koz they're not admitting to the problem in the first place.)

it's very rare manufacturers provide cash refunds to end customers. it's either a replacement unit or credit you can use to get another product from the same manufacturer. it's good you got a helpful dealer providing you with more options. ask him if you can audition just a couple of these monitors.

as to the new L194, afaik it has higher dynamic contrast at 5000:1. response time still at 5ms. no info on the firmware or anything else.

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
drafter said:
as to the new L194, afaik it has higher dynamic contrast at 5000:1. response time still at 5ms. no info on the firmware or anything else.

Hmmm...I will check that out ! I am also searching for a detailed review abt this monitor but wasnt able to get any by googling...

Thnx buddy...Yor help have been wonderful :cool::p

By the way..what abt ur 1932's replacement ?

drafter

Broken In
still have the vg1930wm. local distro sends the replacement to the store where i have to pick it up. store was nothing more than a transit point, man.
should have known better not to get from the cheapest store in town. i actually got the vx1932wm for a much cheaper price, actually even slightly cheaper than what a vg1930wm costs in some stores. that's the only consolation, if you can call it one.

anyway i'm charging it all to experience, as they say. i intend to get a higher-end and/or a larger panel in probably about a year and sell this thing.

couldnt find any review on the new L194wt too. i read of someone getting one in a forum. don't remember the forum name though. (got there by following several links, but iirc the forum is an indian messageboard.)

Last edited:

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
harsha said:
SpitFire are you from Calcutta ??

Yups.....I am ! :)

drafter said:
anyway i'm charging it all to experience, as they say. i intend to get a higher-end and/or a larger panel in probably about a year and sell this thing.

Then you are charged a lot less for experience man ...lucky fella..:D
Today going to the shop again..will take audition of the all available models and let u all know !!!...pray for me..:confused::confused:

Last edited:

sai_cool

Journeyman
hey, me too plannin to return my 1932 and get a lcd from some other company...

does viewsonic have a return policy?

drafter

Broken In
sai_cool, i haven't come across any official response or action on bad rtc errors with the vx1932wm. but it's apparent viewsonic distros are accepting returns. getting a refund is likely dealer-specific.

if you're unable to arrange a refund, i'd suggest you consider a VG model replacement only if the rtc halos/trails bother you that much. i don't suppose you want to fork out additional cash and get the vx1945.

vx panels are really better than vg and va. i took some pics of my vg1930, to illustrate panel uniformity issues.

notice the dark corners and top side--this is most noticeable browsing sites with all white backgrounds like google.

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/1584957954_e3336858bc_o.jpg

slight bleeding (bluish color) at the bottom--this is really not that bad (increase brightness if you cant see it).

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2318/1584073789_25005e973b_o.jpg

i should say there's no perfect uniformity, just that some lower-quality panels will likely have poor to mediocre uniformity to such a degree it's noticeable in regular usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom