Problem with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I installed a Linux distro (Ubuntu) for the first time ever. The setup went fine but when it starts, it can't load the GUI and I only get a command prompt like display. Tell me how to recover the partition on which it was installed or how to get the GUI working.
Also how do I configure GRUB to load XP by default instead of Ubuntu?

banned2wise

Broken In
Login as root using the command
Code:
su

Type yo root password and when u are logged in type startx.
Code:
Welcome to distro name time : something
root @ localhost root $ 
root @ localhost root $ startx

I think this should mostly work.

If startx doesnt work, try switchdesk kde/gnome instead of kde.
KDM or Ctrl+Alt+F7

I have not worked in Ubuntu, but mostly it should work with one of these.
You can ask cool_dude_prav. He uses Ubuntu.

ujjwal

Padawan
As banned2wise stated, first try startx to see if you get into a GUI.

Else, better post the exact details of the error messages, they will be present in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or will anyway be displayed when the X server crashes.

Try running "xorgsetup" to see if it can generate a working config for X Windows (the GUI). Or else, run "xorgconfig" and answer the details of your hardware to get X running.

About GRUB, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst with a text editor (nano, vi, pico are usable console text editor) and check the order in which Ubuntu and Windows XP are listed, most probably XP will be second, so change the line "default 0" to "default 1".

banned2wise

Broken In
GRUB can be edited using vi editor as follows

Boot from the ubuntu live cd/or boot from image using chroot.

We must edit grub.conf after logging in as root.
Code:
root @ localhost root $ vi/etc/grub.conf

Type the following in grub.conf below the entry for linux.
Code:
title Windows
rootnoverify(hd0,x) 
chainloader +1

Here hd0 is hdd===>number may change sometimes. "x" should be 1 or 2 depending on hdd no. If its hd0 , x should be 0+1[or] if it is 1, x=2

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
When Ubuntu is truing to load, I get the following error : 'Temp. failure in name reolution'

After a while I get a blue screen with the following message: 'I cannot start the X srever (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to vies the X server output to diagnose the problem.'

If I choose yes, I get the following message :
XFree86 version 4.3.0.1
Xprot ver 11, revision 0, release 6.6
Build OS Linux 2.6.8.1 i686 ELF
Build date 18 october 2004

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Ok guys, i'm sick of trying to make Ubuntu work. So please suggest some other Linux distro that I can try out. (It should have come on the Digit DVD in the last year). I would prefer a distro that is easy to install, is low on system resources and supports a wide range of hardware devices.

banned2wise

Broken In
Knoppix - best hardware support and nearly 1500mb of softwarez in 1 cd, not dvd.

www.knoppix.net ==> Official Knoppix website

BTW, I haven't experienced any major probs while using knoppix. I have been using around 4-5 months :)

There is also a book called Knowing knoppix. You can search the forums for the same. (Book posted here by Tuxian)

BEST ALTERNATIVE AND IT HAS NO SUBSTITUTES. ;)
That's Knoppix for ye ...

Did u check ur dvd for scratches ?
Try Ubuntu also. Its a good distro as far as I have heard.

You can also get free cds for UBUNTU from,
www.shipit.ubuntu.org or .com I think.
20 cds of which consists of 10 install cds and
10 live cds. No Shipping or any other charges.
Totally free of cost.

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
banned2wise said:
Did u check ur dvd for scratches ?
Try Ubuntu also. Its a good distro as far as I have heard.

You can also get free cds for UBUNTU from,
www.shipit.ubuntu.org or .com I think.
20 cds of which consists of 10 install cds and
10 live cds. No Shipping or any other charges.
Totally free of cost.
I installed Ubuntu from the CD's that I ordered from their site, not the Digit DVD.

banned2wise

Broken In
ohhh... excuse me sir. I was not aware of that. What are you planning to do now. Going ahead with knoppix or are u gonna try ubuntu spare cds ?

banned2wise

Broken In
Yes very much.... boot from cd,then login as root and type knx2hd to start the knoppix installer .
Now configure the installation of ur choice
and start the installation. Create/Cancel boot floppy based on necessity. Then reboot system, and LILO will load Windows and Knoppix. You can use knoppix hdinstall thereafter.

BTW,Iam using knoppix 3.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom