Problem with mail size in Outlook Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello friends!

I had to send a file to one of my friend ans so I thought of sending it via email by attaching it to the mail. I use Outlook Express 6 as my mail client. The problem is that when I attached the 9 MB file to the mail and checked the final mail size in the outbox, the mail showed to be of 13 MB. Now, what is this extra 4 MB as the mail didn't had anything elase except the file attached, not even a single line in the body of the mail.

Thank you.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
The email MIME encoding can cause the encoded attachment to be about 30-40% greater than the indicated original file size. It happens all the time. Encoded file size is ALWAYS significantly more than the actual file size.

But I must confess ... 9MB to 13MB .. seems really big difference. Although it's definitely possible... it must be because of MIME encoding of e-mail.

-----
alibi

tuxfan

Technomancer
Actually for such large files, I will prefer to upload it somewhere and then mail the download link. That will reduce this MIME overhead.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
yeah ... 9MB .. upload is somewhere and let the other guy download it.
everybody know about rapidshare, megaupload, etc etc .. there are other good sites too .. search in the forum.
I just want to add another to the list .. www.dropload.com (but you need to login .. free though)

-----
alibi

OP
go4saket

go4saket

alib_i said:
yeah ... 9MB .. upload is somewhere and let the other guy download it.
everybody know about rapidshare, megaupload, etc etc .. there are other good sites too .. search in the forum.
I just want to add another to the list .. www.dropload.com (but you need to login .. free though)

The problem with rapidshare, megaupload etc are that if the file isn't accessed for about a month, it is deleted from their server. Dropload is even worse as they delete the file in seven days, regardless if they have been picked up or not.

Is there a site where file are generally not deleted...

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
hmm .... in that case
Upload it to your yahoo briefcase (or similar service at other places) and share your yahoo briefcase.
There are lots places you can make your own website .. free .. ex. geocities .. upload it there.
Make just one homepage with the download link .. nothing else
(basically .. upload to some webspace of your own.)

This was what I used do for important files .. when mailbox used to be just 4-6MB.

-----
alibi

tuxfan

Technomancer
There is two more advantages of keeping it on a server. The person who downloads it can use a download manager. Secondly, if later someone else wants it, even he can download the same file without you wanting to upload.

Sending files as attachment is convenient if the file is small. But for large files, this is the way to go. :)

OP
go4saket

go4saket

The problem with geocities etc is that they have a file size limit, generally 1 MB or so. Incase if I want to upload a file of 10 MB, I am not allowed to do that unless and untill I have a paid account.

Do you know any free hosting company who donnot have such file restrictions, and even if they have, the allowed file size should be some what big...

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
I checked .. you're right .. geocities have 5MB file limit... so is the case with yahoo briefcase !!

I guess the problem boils down to finding a good free hosting space .. Lemme see if I can find one.

-----
alibi

tuxfan

Technomancer
There is one more solution. File Splitter! I have a wonderful free one. Its called Info Split 2. Its only 268kb.

The advantage is that the recepient need not have this software to join it back! Just run a .bat file to join.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

But how is that going to help me... Do you mean to say that we can split the files and then store it in web servers like geocities etc... If yes, that according to me is not a very good idea...

tuxfan

Technomancer
:roll: Why is it not a good idea? It offers a legally valid work around to their file size limits! :roll:

OP
go4saket

go4saket

The problem is that if someone wants to download a particulat file which actually is 30 MB in size, he will have to download 6 to 7 different files and then join them to get one complete file.

This idea is fine for people who are good in this field, but for newbies, this will be like a nightmare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom