Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
update ur drivers borg
i m very sure u r running the drivers which are given from the manufacturers CD

if u have the latest drivers then mebbe its a PSU problem

btw try OMEGA drivers once they are the best

and which card do u have 9600 NP, 9600 SE, 9600 Pro which one?

Major-Minor

Broken In
@ pimpom - hey thanks for the information, and sorry for my inadvertence about the power consumption.
Here is some information I found -

2nd Revision = Good
*img201.exs.cx/img201/928/goodxfx3vb.th.jpg

1st Revision = Bad

*img201.exs.cx/img201/9688/cards2ve.th.jpg

More info - *www.xfxforce.com/pinetechnotes/Fan Update.pdf

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Man I am also facing a similar prob. I got this 9600 gfx card & the system hangs regularly when playing doom3 . It just freezes & I have to reset. Is this a power supply issue too. I have a 300 watt psu. My config is Athlon xp 2000+ , 640 MB DDR RAM, Asus A7N266VM motherboard, two CDROMS . Is this a PSU issue too?.
It could be the PSU, and it may not be. At face value, a 300W unit is enough to run your setup, but some so-called 300W PSUs will start to choke when called upon to deliver more than 200W. Which brand are you using ?

There are various possibilities that could cause the problem you have. As others have already pointed out, it could be a software problem. Maybe your PSU was a good one when new, but may have weakened due to age - from your config, I guess your system is about 2-2 1/2 yrs old.

It could also be your RAMs. They may have developed a problem - test them with memtest86. Or they could just need to be reseated. Pull them out, clean the contacts and put them in again firmly.

Another possibility is CPU overheating. Do you have a utility software with which you can check the CPU temperature ? Are the CPU and GPU fans running properly ?

Have you cleaned the CPU heatsink after it was installed ? If not, the heatsink fins could be choked with dust. If that's the case, not only will it reduce airflow over the fins, but it will also coat the fins with a layer of dust which is a bad conductor and radiator of heat.

Check that all power and data cables are firmly attached.

Run a surface scan of your hard disk to make sure you don't have a bad sector. Check that you have a sufficient amount of swapfile/pagefile.

borg

In the zone
Whooaa . That were a lot of possibilities pimpom. Anyways, my computer is about 1- 1 1/2 years old. I am using a mercury smps. Also, my gfx card dosn't draw power directly from the smps. That is, its just connected to the motherboard.

Man I face this problem only when playing doom 3 . I haven't faced this problem at any other time as far as i have seen. My card is a xpertvision 9600 (Non pro). I am using the drivers provided on the CD, cause when I updated to the latest drivers, the system became even more unstable. I used to get errors like "the gfx card has stopped accepting commands from the gfx driver" & things like that. The display also would get garbled up. I had to revert back to the older drivers. I keep the Cabinet open, so that optimum cooling takes place.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Man I am also facing a similar prob. I got this 9600 gfx card & the system hangs regularly when playing doom3 . It just freezes & I have to reset. Is this a power supply issue too. I have a 300 watt psu. My config is Athlon xp 2000+ , 640 MB DDR RAM, Asus A7N266VM motherboard, two CDROMS . Is this a PSU issue too?.

Well seems to be a issue with Catalysts and d3, i think u will have to re-install doom3 everytime you install a new version of cats. Re-install d3 and i think your issue will get resolved.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Whooaa . That were a lot of possibilities pimpom. Anyways, my computer is about 1- 1 1/2 years old. I am using a mercury smps. Also, my gfx card dosn't draw power directly from the smps. That is, its just connected to the motherboard.

Man I face this problem only when playing doom 3 . I haven't faced this problem at any other time as far as i have seen. My card is a xpertvision 9600 (Non pro). I am using the drivers provided on the CD, cause when I updated to the latest drivers, the system became even more unstable. I used to get errors like "the gfx card has stopped accepting commands from the gfx driver" & things like that. The display also would get garbled up. I had to revert back to the older drivers. I keep the Cabinet open, so that optimum cooling takes place.

Dude get your card replaced cuz afaik cards that dont accept WHQL Catalysts drivers are screwed up in the first place. ST Labs have such cards that dont work with ne other drivers other than the ones supplied with the card. If i were you i'd get a replacement this very second.

borg

In the zone
Man, i got this card with a great difficulty. Availability is a major issue in my place. If I ask for replacement, what do i replace this card with???.

Also I reduced the resolution to 800*600 & it seems the problem has reduced. But not completely solved.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Man, i got this card with a great difficulty. Availability is a major issue in my place. If I ask for replacement, what do i replace this card with???.

Also I reduced the resolution to 800*600 & it seems the problem has reduced. But not completely solved.
Well it was my duty 2 inform u, the rest is upto you. I remember a similar issue with ST labs 9600 cards where the card simply refused to work with any drivers other than the ones that came along with the card. However it was later discovered that the 9600 was a fake with some 8mb vram.

borg

In the zone
Yeah, I understand that u are giving me the info. Thanks for that. I don't think this card is fake though cause if it were, then D3 would not run on it at all. Also XP recognises it immediately as a 9600.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
borg, where did you get ur card from ? I am in Bangalore and I know of a reliable dealer whom I have been dealing with for the past two years and havent faced any issues. I know he has a 9600 XT and also 9800 XT's. He can get a lot of stuff. Where did you get urs from ?

borg

In the zone
I got it from SP Road, Shree Computers. Who is this guy u know?. Tell me about him. Maybe I will buy from him in the future if he is reliable.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
There is this place in Brigade Road called Computer Shop. Its next to Planet M on th ground floor itself. Check it out. He gets a lot of components and its all very reliable.

Major-Minor

Broken In
Here is an excellent link to help solve your problems with the 6600GT - *forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1029

Hope it helps.

OP
H

HellGuardian

Broken In
Finally, Ive found out

Hi guys,

Ive finally found out what was wrong. I should have found it earlier but ive left gaming for awhile now. that last post really helped. the thing was that i did not connect the power supply to the graphics card. i read it on the website and then went through the manual. there it was, a little sheet of paper kept in, that said ADDENDUM: you have to connect power supply to vga card. then i connected the power supply(one with hard disk) to it and now it runs fine.

CHEEERRRRSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p

quad master said:
Well you have a power hungry system and i dont know how it used
to work at 300W PS

I too advice you to wait for others views into the matter.

But i still feel that its the PS.

Remember go for a good PS because it is the one which feeds your PC.
A Power Safe Gold Plated 400W Rs 1500 is good.

I'm running my config on a 300W iBox grabit too. No probs here. The PSU gives 14Amps on the 12V rail.

Had an initial blow up, which was traced to a power surge on the (unprotected) line. Replacement works fine.

Remember, the AGP version of 6600GT needs a molex power connector plugged into the card as the AGP socket is underpowered.

Keith

EDIT : Ah, finally you've found out. Read your previous post after posting this reply. If you had the latest drivers (7x.xx) installed you'd have got an explicit warning saying the card will throttle down to lower specs due to inadequate power.

OP
H

HellGuardian

Broken In
sorry, but that's not correct

Hi Keith, im sorry to say but u r not correct, atleast not in my case, the fact is that i have latest drivers, that was the first thing i tried to do when the card was not working properly. i had 66.93 drivers on cd, which i canged to 71.84 in a couple of days, and then later to 71.89. it does not give any error messages. anyway, thanks for ur help and to all others. :D

One more prob, i have installed half-life 2, it gives frame rate info on right-bottom part of the screen, how do i turn it off? whats the console command for it?

and another, it stucks in between the game, like im playing and there'll be a short stutter, then okay again. im running it at 1024x768 and at highest setting, except that anialiasing is turned off, its trilinear filtering. so whats the prob with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom