Problem with gfx card(6600 gt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellGuardian

Broken In
I've use the gfx card XFX geforce 6600gt 128mb ddr3, for two days. the computer goes blank when i run games at high settings. my smps power is 300w. it seems that temp. is the culprit, as it does not happen during q3a or doom 3 but during games like nfs ug, seriuos sam and painkiller. what do i do? the temp. shown in nvidia properties is 51-52 when i checked it during nfs ug. what is limit for the temp. of gfx card?

quad master

In the zone
Friend i feel nothings wrong with the 6600 GPU its your power supply its
low on Power i feel a 300Watts power supply is not sufficient for for such a power hungry GPU.

Please post your entire system config they help to answer better.
Also wanted to know is there proper ventilation in your cabinet.

Let others also give there views i have given you my opinion as what i felt.

Go for a 400W Power Supply - Power Safe Gold Plated Rs 1500.
If you are going to use it. OR try that GPU at a friends place who has
400W or more powersupply.

All i feel is the Power Supply is the problem.
Is your 300W PS a branded one or a local PS

OP
H

HellGuardian

Broken In
system config

my system config is:

Athlon 64 2800+
MSI K8M Neo-V motherboard
seagate 160 GB pata hdd
creative 5200 5.1
microsoft keyboard+basic optical mouse
philips monitor(107E5)
Sony dvd-cdrw combo
ibox grabit cabinet (300 W)
XFX Geforce 6600 GT (agp 8x)
512 MB Simtronics ddrram(400 Mhz)

the cabinet is iBox Grabit, i tried to open the system and then play but the the temp. reached 50 degrees. It seems the power supply is the main culprit because the game(nfs ug, painkiller) hangs at high setting(1024*768, 32-bit, all settings full). But i could play nfs ug for sometime (two races) before the screen went blank and the power led of monitor started blinking as if there was no signal. will changing smps to 400W work?

is 50 degrees okay for the graphics card?

quad master

In the zone
Well you have a power hungry system and i dont know how it used
to work at 300W PS

I too advice you to wait for others views into the matter.

But i still feel that its the PS.

Remember go for a good PS because it is the one which feeds your PC.
A Power Safe Gold Plated 400W Rs 1500 is good.

fnatic@play

Broken In
good golly....

Nooo... u r TOOO low on ur SMPS power... get a 350.. that wil be comfortable...

and good ventilation... on a personal note.. i keep my side cover open wen play games at insane settings... i use the same cabinet.. jus changed the SMPS...

the card runs at around 60c after running doom3 at high settings + 8x Aniso n 8x FSAA for around 1 hour or so.... normal working at ournd 50 c... its allrity there!!

CHANGE THE SMPS.... thats all

my config is 3500+, asus a8n sli, 6600GT (pci-e) 1 GB ram... 350 is recommended for me... and for any PC running cards like a 6600.. so get it changed.

peace bro.

Geforce

Journeyman
For my AMD64 2800+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum, Geforce4 Ti4200, DvD ROM, CD-RW, 2x HDD, Creative Soundcard, Modem, 4 - Cooling Fans

I bought 450W PSU. I don't think its from a known brand.

I had a 300W PS which did not have a separate connector to supply power to the CPU which is required for AMD64 2800+.

Could it have been possible to run this CPU+MB combination without the extra power connector to CPU.

Please comment.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Re: system config

HellGuardian said:
my system config is:

Athlon 64 2800+
MSI K8M Neo-V motherboard
seagate 160 GB pata hdd
creative 5200 5.1
microsoft keyboard+basic optical mouse
philips monitor(107E5)
Sony dvd-cdrw combo
ibox grabit cabinet (300 W)
XFX Geforce 6600 GT (agp 8x)
512 MB Simtronics ddrram(400 Mhz)

the cabinet is iBox Grabit, i tried to open the system and then play but the the temp. reached 50 degrees. It seems the power supply is the main culprit because the game(nfs ug, painkiller) hangs at high setting(1024*768, 32-bit, all settings full). But i could play nfs ug for sometime (two races) before the screen went blank and the power led of monitor started blinking as if there was no signal. will changing smps to 400W work?

is 50 degrees okay for the graphics card?

Seems like a PSU issue mostly .............and btw ibox psus suck so even if its not a PSU issue i suggest that you get a VIP/Powersafe PSU 400 W for 1600/ or 500W for 3k immediately. Antec ones are more costly but if u have the dough then nuthin like those ................

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I like the appearance of iBox cabinets - nice external finish and a roomy inside, at a very reasonable price. BUT, yeah, their PSU's suck. With any brand of PSU, you can't just go blindly by the sticker rating. A good 300W PSU that can actually supply 300W should be enough to run your rig, but having used dozens of iBoxes, I've found that their PSUs have these flaws -

1. They use a 15 or 20 Amp rectifier on the 5-volt rail which is supposed to be able to supply upto 30 Amps.

2. The rectifiers and transistors are often not firmly screwed on to their respective heatsinks, resulting in poor thermal contact, overheating and eventual failure, especially of the 5-volt rectifier diode.

3. The PSU fan often fails after a short while, and without it, other components fry, again its most often the 5-volt diode.

If you're a non-techie, go buy yourself a better PSU. If you're a DIY enthusiast with some experience in electronics, open the PSU with power off and the power cord disconnected from the mains. Replace the 5-volt rectifier with a 40-Amp diode, replace the fan and make sure all diodes and transistors are firmly screwed on. This way you can save some money (the parts will cost a total of about Rs.150) and have the satisfaction of doing something yourself.

Sourabh

Laptoping
hey dude mr. Hellguardian

i already told u this thing even before u got this prob day before yesterday if i m not mistaken before u posted this

heres the link

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14497

lol

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Also dont forget to install latest drivers from nvidia site and DX9.0C
It is better to use DX 9.0C as it supports shader model 3.

Also a 400 Watt SMPS [decent one] is sufficient.

Also,keep your case well ventilated.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
quad master said:
@ pimpom
Thats a great peice of info you have.
I'm glad you found it informative. I sent my findings and suggestions to the company some time ago. Don't know if they'll take any action. I also sent suggestions to Samsung on how to improve their *#@*% CD-ROM drives, but they're still churning out the same piece of ****.

supersaiyan

In the zone
power supply prob. didn't u read the manual for the 6600gt. it clearly says that u must have a 350w minimum power supply and to be on the safer side a 400w. if u want to experience the best of the graphpics card then a 400w is a must. try vip. if u can spend more money try antec. best thing. also i recommend good ventilation so tie up all the wires inside with somethig. for more tips u can go to techtree.com and click on the guides section.

Major-Minor

Broken In
Check out this graph which shows power consumption for the 6600GT Card (I know its a PCIe one, but the power consumption should not differ much from AGP).

*www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=x850xtpt&page=12

130W when Idle and 212W at full Load :shock:
Even I have purchased the 6600GT recently and I am planning to get a 400W-450W PSU soon (currently on a 300W).

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Those figures are for the whole system including CPU, motherboard, HDD, RAM, etc., and NOT for the graphics card alone. So, based on these figures, a good 300W PSU is more than adequate to run the whole show.

Also look at the config they used to run the test: A64 4000+, 1GB RAM, SLI mobo, 10,000 rpm HDD...... - a more power-hungry system than Hellguardian's setup.

Even with TWO 6600GT gfx cards in SLI mode running at full stretch, the maximum system power consumption is still only 258W.

quad master

In the zone
@ pimpom
how do youfind out how much amount of power from your power supply
is currently used from your power supply
Is there any software

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't know of any such software and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist because it would require some form of embedded current sensor.

Theoretically speaking, if motherboard manufacturers integrated a current sensor in the motherboard power input buses (somewhat like the embedded temperature-sensing diode), it should be a simple matter to develop software to measure power consumed by all devices that draw their power requirement from the motherboard, including RAM, CPU, graphics and other expansion cards, USB devices, keyboard, mouse..... Even then, it still would not account for those devices that take their power directly from the PSU such as hard disks, CD/DVD drives, etc.

As things stand now, the only way to measure power consumption would be to measure the current flowing in each PSU output line, multiply them with the respective voltages, and add them up. A rather complex operation. A somewhat simpler method would be to measure the AC current at the INPUT to the PSU.

A post script to my earlier comments that a good 300W PSU is enough : It's true, but don't get me wrong - I'm not against anyone getting a PSU of higher rating. A 400W PSU for example, will leave that much more headroom, especially if you have tons of RAM and several hard disks running. What I meant was that a good 300W PSU that can actually deliver 300W is perfectly adequate to run the more usual single-HDD config with a 6600GT.

borg

In the zone
Man I am also facing a similar prob. I got this 9600 gfx card & the system hangs regularly when playing doom3 . It just freezes & I have to reset. Is this a power supply issue too. I have a 300 watt psu. My config is Athlon xp 2000+ , 640 MB DDR RAM, Asus A7N266VM motherboard, two CDROMS . Is this a PSU issue too?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom