problem installing mandrake 10.1 from iso images......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayneu

Journeyman
i need to know how to install mandrake 10.1 which came in dvd feb 05,
i also tried installing after burning into cds, but in vain..........
i lost 2 cds man.....

manu awaits ur help guys......... :cry:

KHUBBU

Journeyman
firewall said:
you must make a boot floppy under Windows as follows:

* insert the CDROM, then open the icon "My Computer", right click on the CDROM drive icon and select "Open"
* go into the "dosutils" directory and double-click on the "rawwritewin" icon
* insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive
* select "D:\images\hd_grub.img" in the "Image File" field (assuming that your CDROM drive is "D:", otherwise replace
"D:" as needed)
* select "A:" in the "Floppy Drive" field then click on "Write".

To begin the installation:
* Make sure your booting sequence set to floppy first.
* insert the boot floppy, then
* restart the computer.
* follow the on screen instructions

Best is follow the documentation of Mandrake Linux. It has a detailed information on installing from other sources section.

Mandrake Documentation:
*doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/100/en/Discovery.html/install-bootdisk.html#id2524377

Regarding the cds burn at low speeds say 24x, u must have burnt it at 52x. And dont feel bad about losing two cds, u wont regret it after installing Linux and I think there are 3 cds for Mandrake 10.1. Its better to go for installation thru cds than hard disk which is a little complicated.
Best of Luck !

hafees

In the zone
U dont need to make cds. after all uve wasted some CDs. so try with harddisk. it is not very complicated. and u can save installation time also. it is really faster.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Hey hafees can u plz elaborate on the details after booting through the floppy it asks for the partition where images are stored and then for the folder which contains the image, In my case the next dialog box asked me to choose which image to begin installation with and showed only the first ISO and another option of " use hard disk as mirror" (something like that) , on continuing the installation only the packages on the first cd ISO got installed.

Plz correct me where I had gone wrong.

hafees

In the zone
did u extracted the RPMs into one directory??
(eg: rpms/cd1, cd2, cd 3 etc) after that u need to point to the rpms directory not to any subdirectory. Mandrake will search for all the rpms available in subdirectories also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom