Printer/Pen drive not working!!!Help pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Journeyman
Last night,after running msconfig,I selected "selective startup",& then restarted my computer,& then closed it.From today morning,the desktop shows "classic mode",printer is not detected,pendrive/data card is not detected.I have tried switching back to "normal startup",& have then restarted,but nothing has helped.
Please help,immediately,how to get back my all settings;System restore has not helped.

cooldip10

In the zone
Don't Panic :)
Very first thing .. Make sure There's no virus on your computer.. Start a thorough scan as soon as possible.
Secondly, If you r using USB ports to connect the peripherals then u try to install the USB port drivers frm your mobo driver CD and then try..
Do report what happend.. If in vain.. we'll try some other ways.. good Luck::

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
I have run the A.Virus,but there is no infection.Since the laptop was installed by H.P personnel I do not have any C.D.I tried to work in the safe mode but nothing has changed;i.e even after trying with "normal startup",the screen displays classic mode with no usb devices detected.Moreover,even when in the battery power the icon shows that the lap is on AC power.
I am simply at wits end.Please help at the earliest.

cooldip10

In the zone
harpoon said:
I have run the A.Virus,but there is no infection.
harpoon said:
...nothing has changed;i.e even after trying with "normal startup",the screen displays classic mode with no usb devices

This is good that your lapy is free of virus.. Now the problem is either in Usb Ports or The USb Drivers.
Make sure your pen drive is working on anyother 's computer(e.g. your friend's)..

Goto >Device manager(In properties of my computer. >then Hardware tab)

There u'll find a new window.. Check for USB ports there..
Something like the attachment will be seen..

Do tell me if USBs are detected or not..

One more thing: I didn't understand what you mean by : Classic Mode

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
dude i think instead of messing in start-up tab you might have messed in Services tab.:D

you might have disabled Plug and Play & PrintSpooler.

as you can boot into Windows in normal mode, just goto msconfig->Services (tab)-> Enable All.
now Apply->then goto Start Up->Disable/Enable whatever you want:wink:

or just do as ravi_9793 said.

btw first of all create a RECOVERY DISK FOR YOUR LAPTOP, coz as you said, you dont have any installation cd/dvd.
if your Windows goes kaput, its end of the story for you mate., so create one as soon as possible.

HP provides required s/w (inbulit) for this purpose.

Last edited:

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
Right Click My Computer Select Properites

Select Hardware tab

goto Device Manager option

there u will find Universal Serial Bus Controller

see if USB has some childs or not

if its not there install USB driver from ur Drivers CD

if u found there USB installed Remove it and then install using ur Drivers CD

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^^dude he didnt say those USB's didnt work from start:wink:

after messing in msconfig, those things have stopped workin:wink:.

so harpoon dude either try my method or ravi_9793.

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
see in #1 post he said he tried normal starup in msconfig

so ravi method he already tried

ur method he must try

firstly check weather ur h/w driver is installed or not then only u messup i msconfig for enable/desable

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Thanks for your help guys,but I have tried all the methods as mentioned by all of you.The services tab in "msconfig",is not messed up with & is alright.However,the device manager window displays total blank page & no devices.Inspite of being on battery power the lap shows ac power.
What's going wrong??I am simply going crazy.Please help.Do I have to format?Pls don't suggest that!!!

Last edited:

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
harpoon said:
However,the device manager window displays total blank page & no devices.Inspite of being on battery power the lap shows ac power.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

How can be device manager showing no devices

cooldip10

In the zone
piyush619 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

How can be device manager showing no devices

U R Right... :shock:

R u sure there's on device on the Device manager list

I think you really need that Driver CD ..
[red]There's no way out this time[/red]

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Thanks to every one for replying with concern;however,the HP technical support team has said that some Windows file has become corrupt & the lap has to be formatted.So,it's back to sqate one again.
Once again,thanks to all.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
dude dont FORMAT, try the Standard Recovery option.

this way you dont have to Format/delete anything.

No Files will be lost except system files when Standard Recovery runs.

Only Windows XP gets re-installed:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom