Šupər♂ - 超人
Which of the cameras is better?
Canon PowerShot S3 IS

or
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5

Forget costs? Which one gives better quality pics, esp. on
1. the far side of the zoom,
2. in low light
3. fast-motion capturing (not talking of camera lag, but about the sharpness of the pic)

I heard both of them have considerable purple fringing.

How about Nikon CoolPix S10? How does it's quality fare compared to the above? Is it better VFM?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
IMO Canon is a better company for cameras and the S3-IS is an especially good model since it has optical image stabilization.

Read reviews of both these cameras here:
Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
OK, lemme tell u... I'm finicky about these things and 've gone thru all these reviews and more for the last few months.
To be precise, these are the sites I got thru...
Digital Camera Resource, DPhotoJournal, DCViews, Digital Photography Blog, Digital Camera - 101 Reviews, Megapixel, The Imaging Resource, DPReview, Steve's Digicams... pretty impressive list; some of them u've already mentioned.

This is when the confusion started. Both seem to be too good. Canon has a swivelling 2.5" LCD (which helps take special shots at different angles) with 6 megapix cam while Sony has a 3" LCD with 7 megapix cam. Both are reputed prosumer models with manual controls. Both have image stabilization and both perform well in stabilization and quality of pic(from the reviews). Both are almost similar in bulkiness. Good zoom of 12x for both.

Too much of a similarity with all the things I need in a good camera.

Where each surpasses the other are...
If Canon has a swivelling LCD with lesser purple fringing and lower cost; Sony has 7 megapix, a beautiful 3.0" LCD & uses only 2 NiMH rechargeable AA batteries (lot cheaper than the Lithium batteries in the other models, and, in emergencies, I can put any off-the-shelf alkalines instead of the original ones)

So it comes back to the first question I asked previously.... down to the real users of the cameras, which one is better in quality... lesser dust, better low-light photography,better motion capuring and better zoom-end picture quality (as I asked before)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also at a contradiction with the price here...
I feel 26K is one price range and 30K another. So in the 26k range falls Canon S3 IS and Nikon Coolpix S10. Sony H5 comes in the 30k bracket.

So if I come down on price & buy the 26k Canon, why not go for a smaller size, stylish, swivelling LCD Nikon S10!!! (size does matter too)

Last edited:

yours_truly

Broken In
Hi there
i own a Cybershot dSC H5 ...let me tell u its the most amazing pece of digital equipment in its category out there...ive tried a lot of other cams including the S3 and decided on this one simply coz of its amazing output ..i will try an dpost image comparisons from s3 and h5 here in a couple of days..

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Tnx... urs truly... how much did u get it for? And what about purple fringing in high-contrast images... like very bright(sunny) background around leaves or so... take a macro or closeup of a sharp leaf with the sun as background... is there a lot of purple fringing? And how is night photography... fast? dust-free in automatic? What about fast moving objects? Like fan blades without the flash on? and can u please include a photo in full 12x optical zoom without a tripod... phulease...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
koolbluez -

Did you buy the cam? :D I'm also in the same situation as you are right now. I dont care abt the money, all I wanted is a good point and shoot camera..

I narrowed to S3 IS, SD 800 IS, A710 IS and DSC-H5. I rejected SD 800 IS because of the zoom. :D I'm confused with the other 3 models as to what to buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom