sa_still_rocks

SA ~San Andreas
To all the people up here,

I have a serious problem with my pc...
My PSU (Rtech 450W) has two sockets for power supply,
Male and female, rated at 230V.

When I connect the normal cord to the male socket,
1)The Pc doesn't turn on
2)The female socket, when tested with a tester, shows live in neutral and phase...

When I connect two wires in the live and neutral of the female socket,
1)The pc turns on.
2)Electricity passes through the rear panel of motherboard, i.e, where you connect all wires....
3)When tested with a tester, shows live in the earthing and live of male socket..
What to do>>>???
Also is it safe to run the pc on 2 wires instead of 3(excluding earthing??)??

Edit:-

The config is 450W Rtech PSU
Intel D915GAV Mobo
P4 2.8ghz processor
512 mb hynix RAM DDR
Sony DVD RW
Onboard graphics....

Also i am planning to add a Sparkle 9600GSO with 1.5GB RaM

Will the power suffice???

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The short answer first: 450W is enough for your config, including the 9600GSO. However, PSU rating is much abused by manufacturers and some of them just stick on any rating. I'm not familiar with thr RTech product, so can't really say.

The female socket is provided for convenience, for connecting a monitor or other peripheral. Usually, it is connected directly to the mains input from the male socket. Since the computer turns on via the female socket, the PSU circuit must be OK.

The reason why it doesn't work through the male socket is probably that, when you insert the connector, the pins do not contact properly. Test it with another power cord. If it still does not work, one of the flat pins may be loose at the socket.

If you're doing the tests without ground (earth) connection, it is normal for the pins to show live. Spike and EMI suppression circuits inside the PSU cause small leakage currents that's sufficient to light up a screwdriver-type neon tester. The tester should no longer light up when you connect the ground pin to house wiring ground.

If the tester still glows even with a proper earth connection, then there's something seriously wrong and could be dangerous.

Many households do not have proper earth lines. Under normal conditions, it should not make any difference, BUT earthing provides safety in case certain faults occur. For example, if the live (phase) line somehow finds a direct path to the cabinet body, the earth line diverts the dangerous current to ground. It may also blow a fuse, but that's better than being electrocuted.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I would be careful if I were you. A guy in Chennai got fried alive when he was using the system and when it exploded. His body was still sitting upright though he was dead. Power is something not to be messed with.

OP
S

sa_still_rocks

SA ~San Andreas
Thanks a lot guys for the plethora of info...

but I solved it....

The electricity in the back panel of the board was coming thorgh the monitor's VGA plug thorugh earthing as my spike buster is faulty...

So when I plugged it in without it, it worked fine....

But, yet the pc doesn't run on the male socket....
As suggested, I will try with another cord.....

Also the pc works fine on the female connector so can I continue to use that, instead of the male one???

@The sorcerer, It scared the hell out of the..............Did you have to tell this????

Thats it, im using a three wire...........Thanks....

BTW my vendor suggested that the PSU was faulty......

How dumb of him.....

!!!THANKS GUYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom