Power consumption of my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aytus

The Boss
hi guys,
as all of u know the power situation of india and the power cuts , ive been thinking about running my PC on invertor. actually been doin that occasionally for an hour or so. but i want to know what is the exact power draw of my pc in KW hours. been searchin the net and the forum but couldnt find anything concrete in this matter. now afaik .. this isnt as simple as addding the specified wattages of different components . so anyone with knowhow or who has already experimented can jst lemme know. here are my system specs.

i have a 22" lcd 2233SW (known to draw around 40 W but i use it at like 50 percent brightness and contrast)
a iton 600va ups,
creative 2.1 speakers
a wifi router (with wifi permanently switched off)
e5200 processor (not overclocked)
biostar p43 a7 mobo
4gb ram
palit 9600 GT
cooler master extreme power 390 Watt (known to be 70 percent efficent)
segate 7200.12 500gb hdd
one combo drive
one cooling fan 80mm and the usual keyboard and mouse.

so what do u think would be the typical power consumption for this pc like when watching a movie?

Gauravs90

geek........
U have 600w ups, then maximum consumption is 580w if all the peripheral u mentioned is connected to ups.

I think it will be around 250w if you are watching a movie.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
hi guys,
as all of u know the power situation of india and the power cuts , ive been thinking about running my PC on invertor. actually been doin that occasionally for an hour or so. but i want to know what is the exact power draw of my pc in KW hours. been searchin the net and the forum but couldnt find anything concrete in this matter. now afaik .. this isnt as simple as addding the specified wattages of different components . so anyone with knowhow or who has already experimented can jst lemme know. here are my system specs.

i have a 22" lcd 2233SW (known to draw around 40 W but i use it at like 50 percent brightness and contrast)
a iton 600va ups,
creative 2.1 speakers
a wifi router (with wifi permanently switched off)
e5200 processor (not overclocked)
biostar p43 a7 mobo
4gb ram
palit 9600 GT
cooler master extreme power 390 Watt (known to be 70 percent efficent)
segate 7200.12 500gb hdd
one combo drive
one cooling fan 80mm and the usual keyboard and mouse.

so what do u think would be the typical power consumption for this pc like when watching a movie?

Use this..will give you a good idea.

*www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

6x6

Journeyman
The power consumption of cpu depents on the load. whithout any application running it would be ~100W. and it would increase if you would play 3d games or do heavy works like video conversion etc----- may be upto double.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The link I gave, has load facility. That should be good to go.

Else a >mid-end GPU and CPU can be taken as 200W each. This covers the OC.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ aytus - check out the link that asigh has suggested - that will give a good idea about the power consumption of your pc components.

Do add the power consumption of your monitor ( find it on the manual ) which should be 40-55W.

Do note that that your psu will draw around 557W under full load though as it has 70% efficiency as psu efficiency means how much your psu will draw power from main socket to provide the the required power to all of your components.

6x6

Journeyman
2A x 220V = 440W
but normally power consumption of 15" CRT color monitor is 45 - 60W depending on brightness / contrast settings
for higher sizes increase power proportional to screen area

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@OP:
Use the calculator link I gave. The number you get add 30% to that. That will cover future scaling and what ever monitor you thrown in the bundle.!

OP
aytus

aytus

The Boss
^^ y? actually ive been doing that for some time now. I know you guys will be like " thats not a pure sine wave and all" but i think that my UPS " Liberton ITon 600VA" gives more dissing (in speakers) then when i switch over to UPS so i guess (correct me if im wrong) i can run the pc on that wave, and it shud b potent enuf to handle it i guess.

Also i ran my pc for 2.5 hrs (1hr gamin rest surfing) and my "bijli wala meter" gave me smthin close to 0.4KWhr of inaccurate reading. with all other appliances switched off ofcourse.

And i am not lookin for online calculators .. cos i guess they are designed with peak load in mind for different configrations . Wot i was lookin for was someone with some more accurate readings then mine for casual stuff ppl do on thr pc,s.

Anywayz thanks for your inputs.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
And i am not lookin for online calculators .. cos i guess they are designed with peak load in mind for different configrations . Wot i was lookin for was someone with some more accurate readings then mine for casual stuff ppl do on thr pc,s.
Anywayz thanks for your inputs.

Power consumption is NO exact science. We all provided you the best answers. It is YOUR job to take our inputs, and come to a well educated, conclusive answer.

The only way you will ever KNOW the EXACT power consumption of your system, to attach a device between the power socket and your PSU socket, and monitor the reading. It is available in the US.

Something like this:
*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&Tpk=kill-a-watt

Or you can jerry-rig a small circuit, and connect it in parallel to your circuit rails, and get the reading from a voltmeter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom