Post your Speedtest results

Discussion in 'Broadband and DTH' started by ithehappy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dan4u

dan4u Took Off!!!

Of course that's a given.

It might spike at 80% but not remain at 80% throughout the download, and again low spec hardware will have certain limitations.

ah ok, I was talking about the connection speed and not the write speed to the hdd.

Well, I should have said most people buy N routers because that's the most common routers today and they are relatively cheap and that's what most ISP's give for a new connection , a/b/g routers are practically dead in the market, what I meant by the slow speed is, most people will never use the full potential of the N router since even now most connection bandwidths is slow, unless its a fiber connection.

Of course the transmission power of the router matters, and I don't think the 841n has detachable antennas. Certain tp-link (and other companies) models have decent radio chipsets but are equipped with weak detachable antennas or has an extra port for another antenna, that's how they sell the higher dBi antennas. That's also why I mentioned to use repeaters if changing antennas was not possible.

P.S Yea, that's understood but probably hardly enforced in India, and if money isn't an issue systems like the ones below will be better choice for seamless range extension and better monitoring rather than a single router

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi (088269) | BT Shop
    https://www.amazon.in/Ubiquiti-Netw...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=97M7R525ZCHXXQRZA7QD

It all depends on the user and what their usage is like, if its mere HD streaming/downloading etc to a few devices then the mid range consumer grade router is more then enough, now if they want to stream in 4k or have a plex server or htpc or have extended range then what you say makes sense, and about devices being dual band compatible, most handheld devices have been dual band capable for the last few years, maybe not laptops, but my samsung laptop released 5 years ago was dual band capable (Intel advanced-n 6235 radio).

yea I know AC has many advancements over N like beamforming and all what you mentioned, but AC only works on 5ghz, the current iteration of AC doesn't work on 2.4ghz, all the routers that advertise as dual band ac don't mention that when you use the 2.4ghz band you're using the N band by default. And like you said many devices still don't support dual band forget ac, and N actually supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator Staff Member

Samsung laptops were always an exception & probably the reason why samsung exited laptop business as I assume it would not be profitable to provide such hardware when competitors were selling models with less capable hardware at same price.

If you can fully utilize 100mbps connection with Dlink-DIR816 AC router with your laptop & PC then good for you.From what I have seen in places I lived & considering my usage,this much networking hardware is not enough.In any case HDD space & reliability is more of a concern for me even at 50mbps.Even at 100mbps I felt restricted so now trying online storage & transfer options.

kg11sgbg likes this.
  3. seamon

seamon Superhuman Spambot

6587126864.png

Slow day today....

4. pkkumarcool

pkkumarcool Game & anime Lover

5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator Staff Member

He is using a USA university campus connection,these speeds are common for such connections.

kg11sgbg likes this.
  6. Limitless

Limitless Member

7. E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n Member

Here you go

Capture.JPG
    This is the network speed for my Hostel in IIM-Indore.
    I doubt anyone can have it faster than this