Post your latest Purchase

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
This just in guys: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

*www.hotimg.com/direct/qPqNGKD.jpg

Came straight from amazon.com via DHL Express in just 2 days. Cost only Rs.9500/- including shipping charge and customs duty. Flipkart is selling the same thing for 13.4k which is a rip off. At this point I am not sure if any customs duty was incurred or not. If not, then I am eligible to get Rs.583 refunded in 60 days.

Anyway, as many of you know, Seagate is randomly packing either a 5900rpm or 7200rpm drive inside the enclosure for the 4TB versions. I got the 5900rpm which is just what I wanted as it runs cool and is perfect for 24x7 NAS duty. Transferred 3TB of data overnight and average speed reported by TeraCopy at the end was 145MB/s which makes it by far the fastest drive I have ever had.

ME JELLY :-o

nginx

In the zone

Thanks

I have one question. I heard that Seagate Backup Plus series of drives can only be used for data backup, and that it is not possible to save system images on them! Could that possibly be true, or that's true only when using the included backup software from Seagate? I understand you are using it for data backup. I want to buy a 1TB version primarily for saving system images but, of course, it would have enough space for some data storage too for me. Please do enlighten me on this - anyone specifically with hands-on experience with Seagate Backup Plus drive.

No that's not the case. Only Windows' own built-in Backup and Restore utility cannot store backups on 3TB and 4TB drives. It's a software issue and something that M$ needs to fix, nothing to do with Seagate as such. I just used Acronis today to store a full backup on the drive, no issues whatsoever. Think about it, system images are just like any other files with an extension. Why would the drive prevent you from storing those in particular?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
For the first time in my life bought a sunglass. Yeah I don't like to wear any eye-gear or so..never. But this bright sunlight is getting brighter and brighter . So, lastly I have no other option to wear it as Direct Sunlight hurts my eyes.
Shop: Titan Eye+
Model: Fastrack Aviator Style Sunglass
Item Code: M083BK4F
Price: Rs. 1995/-

*i.imgur.com/zAJDOp4.jpg
*i.imgur.com/N3REqUV.jpg
*i.imgur.com/s2oRGFw.jpg
*i.imgur.com/pe8qD1m.jpg

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
For the first time in my life bought a sunglass. Yeah I don't like to wear any eye-gear or so..never. But this bright sunlight is getting brighter and brighter . So, lastly I have no other option to wear it as Direct Sunlight hurts my eyes.
Shop: Titan Eye+
Model: Fastrack Aviator Style Sunglass
Item Code: M083BK4F
Price: Rs. 1995/-

Babumoshai, post pics wearing those!

Killing Machine
This just in guys: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

Came straight from amazon.com via DHL Express in just 2 days. Cost only Rs.9500/- including shipping charge and customs duty. Flipkart is selling the same thing for 13.4k which is a rip off. At this point I am not sure if any customs duty was incurred or not. If not, then I am eligible to get Rs.583 refunded in 60 days.

Anyway, as many of you know, Seagate is randomly packing either a 5900rpm or 7200rpm drive inside the enclosure for the 4TB versions. I got the 5900rpm which is just what I wanted as it runs cool and is perfect for 24x7 NAS duty. Transferred 3TB of data overnight and average speed reported by TeraCopy at the end was 145MB/s which makes it by far the fastest drive I have ever had.

Congrats nginx and others. I believe you would've got free shipping (and only import duty), right? Does this have international warranty?

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
System image? as in a HxD or Acronis disk image, right? Yes, I have a 2 TB Backup plus seagate and use it to store these images, no problem! Of course, I do not use any Seagate software to do any backups etc.

I use the Backup option in Windows 8 itself, curiously named "Windows 7 File Recovery", which you can use to save system image, data files, or both. In my case "system" is comprised of the partitions C (OS) and D (Applications Software). Following your post, if Acronis disk image works, windows own applet should too. Right?

nginx

In the zone
I use the Backup option in Windows 8 itself, curiously named "Windows 7 File Recovery", which you can use to save system image, data files, or both. In my case "system" is comprised of the partitions C (OS) and D (Applications Software). Following your post, if Acronis disk image works, windows own applet should too. Right?

Not necessarily. Depends on how the software was coded and if it can handle Advanced Format drives. As I have already mentioned in my earlier post, Windows 7 Backup Utility only works with drives employing 512b and 512e sectors. I have heard that Microsoft officially supports Advanced Format Drives in Windows 8, so you should have no problems but I couldn't find any specific information regarding its Backup utility, so there is still a question mark.

Why are you so worried anyway? AF drives are the future and are here to stay. Go ahead and buy one. There is a good chance you'll have no problems but if by chance the Win8 app refuses to work, then there is a whole horde of free backup utilities on the Internet that you can use.

Congrats nginx and others. I believe you would've got free shipping (and only import duty), right? Does this have international warranty?

Nah mate, no free shipping. Had to pay around Rs.1290/- for shipping alone and then an additional Rs.583 for customs. I think hard drives don't qualify for free shipping. Would have gotten the drive for well under 8k if it weren't for those costs :(

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Thanks

No that's not the case. Only Windows' own built-in Backup and Restore utility cannot store backups on 3TB and 4TB drives. It's a software issue and something that M$ needs to fix, nothing to do with Seagate as such. I just used Acronis today to store a full backup on the drive, no issues whatsoever. Think about it, system images are just like any other files with an extension. Why would the drive prevent you from storing those in particular?

Yeah, that's exactly is my point too! It's working fine on my existing WD Green HDDs (used externally). But I am out of luck with Seagate Backup Plus (1TB) if I use Windows to do the job? I just don't get it!

nginx

In the zone
Yeah, that's exactly is my point too! It's working fine on my existing WD Green HDDs (used externally). But I am out of luck with Seagate Backup Plus (1TB) if I use Windows to do the job? I just don't get it!

The drive itself doesn't discriminate against storing any type of files. It's just that the Windows 7 Backup Utility cannot store the images on AF drives because it does not recognize drives with 4k sectors.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Not necessarily. Depends on how the software was coded and if it can handle Advanced Format drives. As I have already mentioned in my earlier post, Windows 7 Backup Utility only works with drives employing 512b and 512e sectors. I have heard that Microsoft officially supports Advanced Format Drives in Windows 8, so you should have no problems but I couldn't find any specific information regarding its Backup utility, so there is still a question mark.

Why are you so worried anyway? AF drives are the future and are here to stay. Go ahead and buy one. There is a good chance you'll have no problems but if by chance the Win8 app refuses to work, then there is a whole horde of free backup utilities on the Internet that you can use.

Thanks mate for the elaborate explanation.

The drive itself doesn't discriminate against storing any type of files. It's just that the Windows 7 Backup Utility cannot store the images on AF drives because it does not recognize drives with 4k sectors.

:-?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
@sjoardar: Also, Acronis will probably not backup dynamic volumes, only basic ones, but I am not sure of this. May be the paid edition does.

Top Bottom