Post your latest Purchase

vwad

In the zone
Excellent Rig Sam Bhai :salutes:

Superb Looks too :awesome: Ubuntu Rocks :adore:

Speed Breaker is actually quite funky afterall :D Looks too awesome with Dell side by side :adore:

Congrats on such wonderful config :congs:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thanks vwad. yes, NZXT "SpeedBreaker" looks cool. when i brought the monitor, it looked huge. now with the miniature tank nearby, that 20" looks tiny. Theroy of Relativity, proved :grin:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
i wonder if the apc 550va is enough for a 400w smps?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

sam did you check the backup the ups is providing?

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

the apc site shows the minimum required ups is es650va!!:???:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you still bought apc 550va instead of 650va:roll:

asked for 650VA. gave me some desi UPS (idiot dealers). also my pc consume ~250W (load). so a 550VA will be just fine i think. won't it give me 5min backup easily?

i wonder if the apc 550va is enough for a 400w smps?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

sam did you check the backup the ups is providing?

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

the apc site shows the minimum required ups is es650va!!:???:

as the PSU is 75-80% efficient so a 550VA should be enough for it.

not yet checked. as i using old cpu with new monitor. if UPS provide backup for 5min, it'll be more than enough.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
its not about the efficiency of the PSU. Its about the power factor of the UPS. It typically is 0.6. So a 550VA UPS should be able to provide 550*0.6= 330W of power.

vwad

In the zone
thanks vwad. yes, NZXT "SpeedBreaker" looks cool. when i brought the monitor, it looked huge. now with the miniature tank nearby, that 20" looks tiny. Theroy of Relativity, proved :grin:

You know what I did not even think about size, both of them side by side look simply tremendous. :)

Goleon

Journeyman
I wanted more of clock speed than cores.
And I remember posting that my monitor was a 20 inch one
you're wrong about that dude
q8400 quad(2.66ghz) may have lesser clock speed than e8400 dual(3.00ghz)
but clock speed doesn't always matter
both of their performance is same in current games
they both fall under same performance categorey
check this chart,you'll see
Gaming CPU Heirarchy Chart : Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: July 2010
but the quad core was the better performer and future proof option over the dual core

about the monitor
the model no. you mentioned was samsung syncmaster 933sn
which is actually an 18.5 incher with a resolutin of 1366x768
Samsung SyncMaster LCD 46cm (18.5) wide screen monitor - 933SNPlus - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG

It wasn't samsung 933sn it was samsung 933.
I have already told you that i as far as i am concerned i don't care about cores

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
its not about the efficiency of the PSU. Its about the power factor of the UPS. It typically is 0.6. So a 550VA UPS should be able to provide 550*0.6= 330W of power.

if you take the PSU efficiency to be 75% (80% too much to ask for), than power extracted by PSU comes to 270W roughly (200W in load by CPU only). add to it ~50W consumed by the monitor (speaker connected to board not USP) so total power consumed by system is 320W.

now its APC. so power factor is something like 6.5-7 (taking avg figures). so power provided by UPS is ~360-385W. so i think i on solid ground. & if i can successfully remove load off the PC in case of powercut (shutting down games, encoding, or any heavy work), i should get 10min backup. or 5min backup in case of load. have i done the calculation right?

You know what I did not even think about size, both of them side by side look simply tremendous. :)

:smile:

ajai5777

Youngling
@SAM
congrats dude.Rig looks cool.

My UPS is APC ES 500VA (5year old still working fine) and my PSU is 500W with 80% efficiency.I dont know the pf or efficiency of UPS.But still it works fine giving 10+ min back up

pulsar_swift

Youngling
My UPS is APC ES 500VA (5year old still working fine) and my PSU is 500W with 80% efficiency.I dont know the pf or efficiency of UPS.But still it works fine giving 10+ min back up

Thanks for the info. Which UPS should i go for my config. APC 650VA is enough or 1.1KVA ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@SAM
congrats dude.Rig looks cool.

thanks but currently a 2nd problem surfaced. unable install win7. get a driver missing eroor. maybe its cause i using a IDE DVD writer. else will have to stick to win XP or let someone else install win7 in my HDD through his pc.

@sam
cooooooooooollllllllllllll................
man ur rig is awesommmmmmmmmmmmmmme

no words left

thanksssssssss. you saving money for a fast card & i wasted it on a costly cabby. so its same.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

@ajai, i doubt your PSU is 80% efficiant. it maybe rated but actually is 70-75%. Corsair is only one (at almost same price) to offer 80% efficiant. next in line are the Gold series PSU from CM or Enermax.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
thanks but currently a 2nd problem surfaced. unable install win7. get a driver missing eroor. maybe its cause i using a IDE DVD writer. else will have to stick to win XP or let someone else install win7 in my HDD through his pc.

How does a IDE DVD writer affect WIN7 installation. Did you disconnect the GFX card while installing WIN7 ?
Mine is a IDE dvd writer, it didnt affect installation when i installed win7. may be your installation disc is corrupt

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
tried 2 times. no use. yes maybe the disc is corrupted. burned from an ISO file. not yet installed the card as PSU is put in vertical position temporarily due to short 12V cable length.

ajai5777

Youngling
@ajai, i doubt your PSU is 80% efficiant. it maybe rated but actually is 70-75%. Corsair is only one (at almost same price) to offer 80% efficiant. next in line are the Gold series PSU from CM or Enermax.

Actually Pro series dont come under zebronics.They market it as a different brand. Realwatts Pro series.You just check lynx india SMPS section.You can see both zebronics and Pro series as different brands.It is good as other brands like Gigabyte,FSP etc.Zebronics SMPS are the micro series and the platinum series.

Its rated as 80% but not 80+ certified.Only few brands have 80+ certification.

In a pro 550W, the total power is 550W but its not the actual output.Actual out put will be 440W or so.

*www.zebronics.net/images/Pro/power/550_1.jpg

But corsair like brands rate their PSU's including the efficiency.

In a corsair vx 450, the total power is near 550W.But they dont rate it as 550W.After the 80% efficiency it has 450W actual power and its rated as 450W.

*img443.imageshack.us/img443/3787/vx450wpj1.jpg

So the actual power of my pro 500W would be near 400W.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a general misconception - PSU efficiency means how much power your PSU will draw from the main power source to provide a required amount of power to the internal components.

Say a 500W PSU has 80% efficiency - Now at full load it will draw 600W from the mains.

In your case your PSU will draw 660W from the mains to provide 55OW.

The most important rating of the PSU is +12V amp rating as most of the components draw power from the PSUU +12v rail - now your's is 396W as shown in the pic.

Now if your rig is consuming 350W at full load ( not the PSU at full load - for this you've to load the other rails like +3.3V +5V etc. which can be only done if you are benchmarking it like some review sites :p ) your PSU at 80% efficiency will draw 420W from the main power source.

if you take the PSU efficiency to be 75% (80% too much to ask for), than power extracted by PSU comes to 270W roughly (200W in load by CPU only). add to it ~50W consumed by the monitor (speaker connected to board not USP) so total power consumed by system is 320W.

now its APC. so power factor is something like 6.5-7 (taking avg figures). so power provided by UPS is ~360-385W. so i think i on solid ground. & if i can successfully remove load off the PC in case of powercut (shutting down games, encoding, or any heavy work), i should get 10min backup. or 5min backup in case of load. have i done the calculation right?

:smile:

Congrats for the the nice rig pics :p

^^ look above for efficiency explanation :p

If your 400W PSU has 75% efficiency then it will draw 500W at full load from the mains.

Now say your rig consumes 200W at load so the PSU will draw 250W from the mains anyway.

Every UPS has a standard power factor of 0.6 and APC 550V ups will give you 330W - so at 300W load ( including your monitor ) you UPS will give you roughly 4 mins backup time.

Now if your system is running at idle condition and consuming 150W the backup time will be more than 10 mins :p

Here's link for APC 550V UPS

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
guys which ups do you think will be able to support cx400
with hd5770 and athlonIIx4 635
wont connect monitor or speakers(both from board)

pulsar_swift

Youngling
This is a general misconception - PSU efficiency means how much power your PSU will draw from the main power source to provide a required amount of power to the internal components.

Say a 500W PSU has 80% efficiency - Now at full load it will draw 600W from the mains.

In your case your PSU will draw 660W from the mains to provide 55OW.

The most important rating of the PSU is +12V amp rating as most of the components draw power from the PSUU +12v rail - now your's is 396W as shown in the pic.

Now if your rig is consuming 350W at full load ( not the PSU at full load - for this you've to load the other rails like +3.3V +5V etc. which can be only done if you are benchmarking it like some review sites :p ) your PSU at 80% efficiency will draw 420W from the main power source.

Congrats for the the nice rig pics :p

^^ look above for efficiency explanation :p

If your 400W PSU has 75% efficiency then it will draw 500W at full load from the mains.

Now say your rig consumes 200W at load so the PSU will draw 250W from the mains anyway.

Every UPS has a standard power factor of 0.6 and APC 550V ups will give you 330W - so at 300W load ( including your monitor ) you UPS will give you roughly 4 mins backup time.

Now if your system is running at idle condition and consuming 150W the backup time will be more than 10 mins :p

Here's link for APC 550V UPS

Bro how can we calculate backup time ?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i got my elite 430 yesterday......:grin::grin:
its truly awesome..
moreover its got 10 cable ties for cable management....(thing which people were complaining....
pics will have to wait because my broad band is getting disconnected again & again

and i facing the same problem of cpu power connector as sammy....:-|

Top Bottom