Portable Hard Disk Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Journeyman
I have bought a seagate laptop hdd 80GB + usb casing for rs2600
5yrs warranty on hdd, 1yr on usb casing
very light and portable..
in ur budget u will easily get 120GB or more..
theres loads of other threads here related to d same issue..one of them even has a pic..just search them up..they wil b vry helpful to u

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
as suggested, a notebook 80 GB 2.5" HDD with USB casing / enclosore would cost you Rs. 2500/- incl TAX...

it would look like this,

*img530.imageshack.us/img530/7141/untitledlf3.jpg

its USB plug and play, it would not need extra power...

Now its also possible to Convert a larger Desktop 3.5" HDD to a USB portable device... its bulky compare to notebook 2.5" disks and it will need external power supply !!!

so tell us what do you need portability or maximum storage ??

din

Tribal Boy
I think it is better to buy portable HDD - like WD Passport etc - or use laptop HDD + case if you are planning to take it everywhere.

Like desktop HDD may not be designed to withstand lot of movements / shakes. But laptop HDD are better in that matter and WD Passport etc are made exclusively for that.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Like desktop HDD may not be designed to withstand lot of movements / shakes. But laptop HDD are better in that matter and WD Passport etc are made exclusively for that.

I am not sure about how they are built, but I can only share some views and personal EXP :lol:

and when things have to go wrong they just go wrong :( i mean I have dropped the external HDD from stairs couple of times :( and in couple of time they have been some hard fall :p but the HDD and the case withstand the fall !!

how ever, once I dropped my Portable lappy SATA drive 160 GB, which could be seen in the picture, from just 2 feet high bed to the room floor in a hotel where the floor had thik carpet in it, :p but the poor thing stoped working :(

So all depends :lol:

Personally with my exp I would say Notebook HDD + Casing is really portable :p but costly when u need bigger space :( Desktop 3.5" HDD with casing is cheapwhen u compare with the space, as one may get 320 GB Portable @ Rs. 3600/- + TAX where as in that price range u can only manage a 160GB Lappy HDD + Casing, but 3.5" + casing are really bulky and will need extra power....

OP
P

prasanna7287

Broken In
thanks friends :)
i went to the computer shop here in Pondicherry.. they said hard disk case is around 750 (TechCom) and there is only 1 year warranty on the case + 5 year warranty on the seagate notebook disc..

so finally i settled down with Seagate FreeAgent Go 120 Gb at 4800/-

Thanks for all your suggestions :)
Prasanna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom