port forwarding in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
how do i do port forwarding since in Linux OS usually all ports r blocked like prakash said.

so how do i open all the ports in d distro, and get my azureus work with my port number bein forwarded.

my external ip/wan ip keeps changing.
and i'm using pppoe, like i keep the modem on and in 2 minutes i'm connected to net.

praka123

left this forum longback
port forwarding in Linux is achieved if u open a random port allowed using iptables FW scripts.just use Azureus NAT checking tool and enter the port no u opened.now if it says OK!then fine done.if u use ppp dialer from the router instead of bridge mode where we dial up pon dsl-provider" and poff to switch off,there may be something u need to configure with ur modem.like Virtual server enabled.

praka123

left this forum longback
rather than writing ur own iptables rulese,try "lokkit" from apt or synaptic or firestarter if ur a gui user.then inspect the gui of firestarter or whatever gui there will be provision for leave open a port or in case of lokkit-open a terminal run "sudo lokkit" and enter the port to be opened(ncurses based).
always use a port btwn 45xxx to 65xxx range.remove default 6881 in Azureus and enter the new open port.
now check NAT test in tools menu,if it passed everything will be OK.NAT will show a green signal with torrents.remember i use bridge mode with OS dialer.

also Let other Linux torrent users comments.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Get the simple Firestarter and add this entry as shown:

*img356.imageshack.us/img356/933/screenshotfirestarterqwnm1.png

To install Firestarter, do the usual drill:
Code:
sudo apt-get install firestarter

Note: To make that rule in 'Inbound Traffic Policy', you need to click the 'Add Rule' button, then give something as the name, and a range or single number as the port and make it applicable for 'Anyone'. Finally click 'Apply Rule' and you're done. The added ports will be opened now.

I'd rather use uTorrent with WINE (They themselves make sure its coded properly for that) and get higher speeds at low CPU cost. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
^wt do u mean utorrent?i am getting solid 200+ KB/s on Azureus on Linux.even transmission can be used.if l/w client which u meant.just make sure ur firewall opened the port.am now researching on below link for any better.
*wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoKtorrentOnAhomeLan
*www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/SmartAX-MT880v2/Azureus.htm
*www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
^for those using ppp dialer inbuilt on router rather than in bridge mode.

bridge mode config is explained here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59380

*www.canyouseeme.org/
^check whether ur reached!(ports opened?)

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Well, I get a max of 15KBps on Azureus and Deluge while I get full 30KBs for the same torrent on uTorrent at very less memory cost (Incl. Wineserver and Explorer)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
even i need configure azureus, but too lasy to try new settings

@prakash
give you settings you use

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Oh just open the firewalled ports via man iptables or firestarter/lokkit and it'd be ok, your NAT will go green.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
if anyone wants to check the ports open the torrent client & copy the ports and check on this site, *www.canyouseeme.org/

if port is forwarded, it gives " success message".

for manually checkin port.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think what is explained in *portforward.com is mostly usable for Linux users too.I am saying about ppl who use ppp(modem inbuilt dialer) mode in OS.
they seems to enable virtual server option with local eth0 address forwarded.reading that may help.though i am happy with bridge mode connxn.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Heh aren't we going on and on and on?

Hey vish786, did your problem get solved or not?! Cause you're giving advices to your own thread :?

praka123

left this forum longback
ok then.one question @vish: do u dial from ubuntu to get connected to dataone? or do u remember configuring userid passwd etc in router(ppp mode).tell which mode do u use?

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
sorry for late replies was trying out something.
praka123 said:
I think what is explained in *portforward.com is mostly usable for Linux users too.I am saying about ppl who use ppp(modem inbuilt dialer) mode in OS.
they seems to enable virtual server option with local eth0 address forwarded.reading that may help.though i am happy with bridge mode connxn.
that guide is applied to any OS, theirs nothing related to OS, but configuring router which can be done using any browser.

QwertyManiac said:
Heh aren't we going on and on and on?

Hey vish786, did your problem get solved or not?! Cause you're giving advices to your own thread :?
:D , actually i was trying out different things which fetches me best speed without any error, reg givin advices... thought this might help others also.

praka123 said:
ok then.one question @vish: do u dial from ubuntu to get connected to dataone? or do u remember configuring userid passwd etc in router(ppp mode).tell which mode do u use?
no i dont dial, just switch on router and i'm connected.
yes i reconfigured/reset my modem again, coz while trying port forwarding i messed up my routers configs.

i used PPPoE settings.

installed both lokkit and firestarter, after unblockin a specific port in lokkit,
tried d port on azureus, but port got forwarded after 1-2 minutes with download speed of 13-14kBps(which is slow, usually i get 18/21 kBps speed on windows in utorrent/bitcomet.)
after closing azureus, i tried the same port on utorrent while running in wine, but this time port wasnt forwarded, dont know wats d error.

will try deluge (utorrent for linux) and inform.

@qwertymaniac,

how do i add utorrent/azureus in firestarter, both r not mentioned in add rule drop down menu.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Oh just make a new name man. Its based on Port numbers not application name. So enter what ever port name and give it any name and it'll be added. :)

Clearly, fill it like this:

*img517.imageshack.us/img517/1313/screenshotaddnewinboundny9.png

And Deluge is uTorrent for Linux? Lol! :D Use the real uTorrent with Wine, they themselves say it works fine with Wine (And it does, in reality) :)

And do wait for a while between trying out clients, also disable UPnP to avoid router port conflicts.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Read a bit about iptables before using any firewall software. No need to learn it just understand how it works. Many things will become easy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom