Plz suggest changes in my config [If Any]

emmarbee

Journeyman
Hi,
Please suggest if there are any changes to be made in the below configuration.

1)CPU i3 - 2100 5500
2)MOBO DH67VR 4100
3)RAM Kingston4GB 1250
4)PHDD SG2TB 3950
5)SHDD Seagate500GB OWN
5)OPT LG DVD RW OWN
6)CAB Zeb Shivaji OWN
7)MON SP2208WFP OWN
8)KBMS Logitech KBMS OWN
9)PSU Zeb 400W Plat. OWN
10)UPS Zeb 600 VA 1100
11)SPKS Logitech Z5500 OWN
12)VGA Zotac 9600GT OWN
13)SND X-Fi Titanium OWN
Total 15,900

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
--> 40% of HD Movie Playback (80% over my ep-630, rest on my Z5500. If the PC runs silently, it'd be good during that 20%)
--> 10% of FPS Games (COD Series, Crysis, Battlefield series) and NFS Series.
--> 30% Browsing
--> 20% of Music (Silent PC preferred)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Definitely yes, as long as it is available to my area (Chennai).

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 15K

4. Planning to overclock?
A: May be in the future . . .

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: The Whole Wide world put up in the form of platters.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 22" I already own. 1680x1050.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 4

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Have done it, but would prefer the assembler to do it.

10.When are you planning to buy the system?
A: October 1st Week.

11.Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Not Really. Should live for another 3 yrs.

12.Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Optical Drive, Cabinet, Monitor, KBMS, PSU, SPKS, VGA card, SND card.

13.Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Prefer to buy from Richie St. Chennai. Other online shops are also cool.

14.Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: If suggesting an alternative instead of the component that I've mentioned. Please state the reason of why it is better than the compnonent I've mentioned.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
AMD rig will be a better choice over you intel one for long run.
Get:-
CPU: AMD PhenomII 955BE -- 5.5k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H -- 5k
This one will perform better than the intel rig in most MultiThreaded apps.

Why are you going for Kingston RAMs. Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM are available for 1.2k only.

If you are confident that the Zeb. Plat. PSU can handle your rig, then well its fine. But i would suggested to get a FSP SAGAII 500W for 2.1k instead.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
@saswat23 - thanks for the suggestion.
But why is that everybody suggesting 955BE? For gaming, i3 2100 seems to better than 955BE as per this benchmark.
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Also we won't be seeing much difference in CPU performance during regular PC usage except for gaming, during which even few extra FPS will be handy...

And my system will be switched on (either idle (downloading) or running) for more than 500 hrs / month. So power consumption is also an important factor right?

Of course, for people who encode lot of movies, should clearly pick the AMD, but I rarely encode my videos, as my SGS plays all kinds of format (and the only reason I transcode videos is to make crop the video to cover the full 4")

Also please provide me with the link where 880GA UD3H is listed for 5K, cause I've tried lynx-india and I couldn't find it.

And as for RAM, I'd really like to choose Corsair, GSkill etc., but i dunno its availability in richie street, chennai. even if available it'll be way costlier than the others...

BTW. how's zebronics 600va? Is it worth 1.1K?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
AMD rig will be a better choice over you intel one for long run.
Get:-
CPU: AMD PhenomII 955BE -- 5.5k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H -- 5k
This one will perform better than the intel rig in most MultiThreaded apps.

Why are you going for Kingston RAMs. Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM are available for 1.2k only.

If you are confident that the Zeb. Plat. PSU can handle your rig, then well its fine. But i would suggested to get a FSP SAGAII 500W for 2.1k instead.

+1
This quad core config will be good for multi-threaded games/app.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well thing is as apps and games are moving and gettting better everyday, they are becoming Hyperthreaded

the i3 has 2 cores but the quad core AMD config would be a bit better in long run :)

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Nope. The results are accurate but 955BE's a quad core processor which means it is much more future proof. Also, It is easily overclockable and can perform better than i3 2100(which can't be overclocked) when overclocked.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Agreed i3-2100 performs better than PhenomII 955BE.
But in the long run with Multi-threaded apps which will use more than 2 cores, the PhenomII 955BE will come handy.
But still if you want to go with i3-2100, you can go for it. Its not that bad either, but the thing is PhenomII 955 BE would perform better in the long run.

Your i3 rig is a good one. You can go for it;-).

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Well thing is as apps and games are moving and gettting better everyday, they are becoming Hyperthreaded

the i3 has 2 cores but the quad core AMD config would be a bit better in long run :)

I've been hearing this statement "apps/games are getting better everyday" since the days of E8400 vs Q6600.. But still, multi-cores are much useful for multi tasking rather than for a single app...

Also guys, help me out in motherboard (for AMD, otherthan 880GA) too.

Please suggest me a motherboard that has sata 6gbps and USB 3.0 (if possible ATX) under 4K (if m-ATX) or under 5K (if ATX)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Within 4K it is very hard to find a motherboard with SATA 6 Gbps. Within 5K you can find mobo based on 880G chipset with both USB 3.0 and SATA 3 6 Gbps but most of them are of M-ATX form factor.
Thing is if you are going for a single GPU solution, M-ATX boards are very well acceptable if they are having proper layout.

The only mobo with USB 3.0 and SATA 3 within 4K is Gigabyte 880G USB3 based models like GA-880GM-USB3L, GA-880GMA-USB3 etc.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
^ - thanks for ur input.
Can anybody tell what are all the options that I have in 880G under 5K m-atx board with usb 3 and sata 6.
Any brand is ok. Will be glad, if it Biostar or MSI (cause they are cheaper than asus/GB).

Also someone please provide me the link of Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H with it's price.
I've seen many people here suggesting that motherboard for 5K. But I can't find it's availability.
I can't find a single motherboard in Intel that has ATX+6gbps+usb 3.0 under 5K. The cheapest one I can find is MSI H67MA-E35 @ 4.8K. Gigabyte and Asus are way costlier i guess...

Edit: Just now noticed, Intel board DH67VR is available for 4550. 250 rs cheaper than MSI H67MA-E35. Is there any other reason why I should go for MSI instead of DH67VR? (note: I use dedicated VGA card and Sound Card)

Last edited:
OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
^ - have to decide yet... It's based on the different motherboard options available too...
If I can get a u3/s6 mobo for 4K in AMD, then I'll definitely go for 965 BE rather than 2100+DH67VR...

But I still couldn't find a u3/s6 AMD board in India under 5k...

Edit: In my area, MA880GM-USB3L has been priced at 5550. Is the GA-880GA-UD3H costlier than MA880GM-USB3L?

The below are the boards that I have found in internet, but still to know the availability and price in India

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $74.99
MSI PH61A-P35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $79.99
ASRock H67M (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $79.99
MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $89.99

MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $89.99

BIOSTAR TA75M+ FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $94.99
BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $89.99

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Please suggest me a motherboard that has sata 6gbps and USB 3.0 (if possible ATX) under 4K (if m-ATX) or under 5K (if ATX)

If you have no plan to use SSD drives then 6gbps sata ports are useless ad it is not worthy at all to go for a 6gbps standard hdd (considering the price). Think twice about it.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ 1TB Seagate 3Gb/sec hdd is @1700.
2TB 6Gb/sec hdd @3950.
Your call mate. ;)

Last edited:
OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
^ - yeah right. If you could see my config, the 2 TB 6gbps HDD is listed. And that's one of the reason why I'm asking for 6gbps board. Though I don't have a USB 3.0 device currently, I'll surely own one in another 6 months time... And I
'll be using it regularly to copy files of large size. So I thought USB 3.0 would come in handy at that time...
What's the use of purchasing the PC now without the 6gbps/usb 3.0 ??

Edit: BTW, 1TB 3gbps Sata is 1700 INR and 6gbps costs 2800 INR? So much difference....

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ 1TB Seagate 3GB/sec hdd is @1700.
2TB 6GB/sec hdd @3950.
Your call mate. ;)

It is not GB/s, it is Gb/s. GB stads for Gigabyte whereas Gb stands for Gigabit. you have to devide Gigabit number by 8 (8 bit = 1 Byte) to get Gigabyte. For example 1 Gigabit = 128 MB.

So 3 Gbps = 384 MB/Sec. But normally SATA 2 has theoritical limit of 300 MB/S

Always remember, b stands for bit and B stands for Byte.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
@saswat23 - how's ur zebronics U700 600 VA? How much mins is it giving backup? I'm thinking of considering Zebronics U850VA too, if its cheaper...

Top Bottom