Please suggest 20" or 22" LCD Monitor for gaming under 15K

Status
Not open for further replies.

codehammer

Right off the assembly line
I have a Samsung SynMaster 753s 17" CRT monitor that started ghosting recently. Since its around 4 yrs old, I think its time I replaced it.

I had built a rig recently, and asking around for the ViewSonic 19" CRT I found it priced (9K~10K) similarly to LCD Monitors at the same size . So I'm thinking that maybe I should go for LCD over CRT. This will be the first time I'm buying a LCD Monitor.

My primary usage is for gaming. Secondary usages are for browsing the web, and watching movies.

Please suggest a 20" or 22" LCD monitor that will fit my usage needs. Ideally I'd like this to be around 12K, but I'm willing to stretch my budget till 15K. The Monitor sizes I have in mind are from 20" till 22". I have a NVidia 8600GT with Dual DVI outputs, so monitors with DVI connectors are preferred. The brands I have in mind are Dell, ViewSonic, Samsung, LG, & Acer.

Please let me know if it makes sense to stick to CRT monitors or should I make the leap over to LCD?

If it matters, I'm in B'lore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
I just bought one from samsung today, have a look at this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=862547&postcount=1832

good monitor.. :)

LCDs can't beat a CRT. But again, its the time to change over to LCD. And its better to go for a big one. Try to squeeze in a bit more cash and get a 22 inch as the price difference between 19in and 22in is at all time low. I would say look for a 22 inch with atleast DVI port and has HDCP support. Blue Ray is in the market and in a short time, will be cheap enough to invest in. To view HD media, screen resolution should 1920 x 1200. And it neads atleast a 24 inch monitor to view without down-scaling. 24 inch monitor is available at 20k and up. So if you plan to buy one which is close to this, it better be a 22 inch, which is available for 12k and above. If you plan to use it for gaming, better go for one with 2ms response time. I did a survey and it seems Samsung 2243BW is a good one to go for. If you can invest a little more, go for Dell SP2208WFP. Colours and contrast are good in Dell. And above all, Dell gives a warranty on dead pixel. More than 6 dead pixels in 3 years, your monitor will be replaced. Dell service is pretty good compared to any other brand. Only this Dell model has HDMI connector. So it will be peace of mind in the long run. SP2208WFP also includes a 2 mega pixel camera and 2 microphones, which are extra benefits. I booked one for 16100/- including delivery and taxes. So think wise and go for the one that suits you and your pocket. For further reference please check the May 2008 issue of Digit and March 2008 of PC World.

Warning: Please don't fall for contrast ratio. Mostly they mention dynamic contrast. Check for static contrast ratio to get a better understanding. It is like PMPO in sound, which means nothing!

Gigacore, I am sorry to say you should have checked for DVI port if you have a plan to add on Blue Ray reader for HD media. I checked the Samsung 22in NWX. This, is the model which is available everywhere in Bangalore. Connectivity is simply pathetic. Well, you may be able to see HD media through analog connection, but you will miss the richness of the HD media. Am wondering why Samsung 2243BW is not available. It is a much better model. Even viewsonic 2226 has DVI support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom