Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer

static_x

In the zone
LaCie HDDs are excellent the only drawback is 1 yr warranty. I'm using a 500gb for over an year without any problem....Its a bit expensive than WD..
So you can go for WD or Maxtor (its cheaper than WD)..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I would recommend Transcend as well as WD. Using both. But would recommend Transcend anyday if you are rough user. This product is totally worth the buck!

anni

Broken In
I also wants to purchase external usb hard disk 160 GB for my laptop, but i don't have much idea. Which one to buy like without power, with power, Is in with power usb hard disk is it running by battary?. where that battary reside, inside hard disk? after how much time we need to change! And also is these usb disk simply connect to laptop by using usb port. I have usb port in laptop.

Anni

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^You have two options-one is to buy a laptop hard disk and a casing and the other to buy a portable hard disk. The first one will be turning out to be cheaper.
Hard disks don't have batteries. If you choose the first option, you will only need to plug one USB connector in the usb port of your laptop.
And if you choose the latter, then the disk may be taking power from the same port which it uses for data, may require a separate port for power , or you may need to supply it power from a socket on the wall.

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@anni :

WD 160gb passport does not have a battery nor needs a power chord separately. It draws power from the USB port itself. It is the same port through which data transfer also happens. So it is not like two USB ports will be used.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
What do you mean by rough user? Frequent transfer of huge data or rough handling?

I think he meant rough handling. The drive he mentioned is of excellent build quality.

That answers your question. Thanks Din :)

BTW, both the parameters you mentioned hold good for the Transcend Drive. The transfer speeds of both my WD (160GB) and Transcend (250GB) are excellent: ~30MB/s. While I am a bit skeptical of rough handling my WD, I never bother about the Transcend one. No scratches, no pouches, solid and rugged drive out-of-the-box.

noworry

Right off the assembly line
I am really loving the backup software of Transcend, which I use to backup my laptop.
Unlike WD, you can view the contents of the backup as in your computer.
Also you can configure it to copy in whichever direction you want (one-way, both-ways) between comp to portable drive. I use one-way from comp->drive, since I don't want my backup to be deleted even if I delete something in my laptop, say a movie.
I am really happy that I went for 320GB, since I already ate 100GB of it :)
I would say, go for Transcend anytime... as its quality is worth your money...

One thing I forgot to mention is that unlike WD, Transcend comes with a Y-shaped USB cord, which can be used to supply extra power.
WD cannot be used with some DVD players w/USB, since they require extra power to recognize them. In this case you can use the transcend's y-shaped cord to supply extra power...

Last edited:

h_kunte

Journeyman
Hello people.. I am currently staying in Pune. I am planning to buy an external hard disk. Could you please suggest me one? And a proper dealer too from whom I can buy it.

My specifications:

1. Min size: 160 GB.
2. NO external power supply.
3. Cost-effective. (NOT too expensive)

Looking forward to replies.

-HK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom