Please recommend a 160GB portable hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
What good options are available if I want to buy a 160GB portable hard disk(not the laptop one with casing).
Contacted LOTUS Systems & Services, Nehru Place, Delhi and got the following options
Iomega 160GB USB HDD @ Rs. 3500/- Not Available.
WD Passport 160GB USB @ Rs. 3300/-
Transcend Storejet Mobile 2.5" 160GB USB HDD @ Rs. 3100/-

So please give your suggestions(If suggesting any other, please mention price as well)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
+1 for WD
---------------
Go for WD passport 160 GB as many ppl here and alo generally its the very best brand in External HDDs.. :)

Its really small in size, my friend has it and the transfer speeds are also respectable.. :)

Many ppl will recommend u WD here..wait and watch.. :)
-----------------

Cheers n e-peace...

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Close your eyes and buy WD. I have a WD Passport 160GB Glossy Black. Stylish, sleek, lightweight, decent transfer speed. And a cool blue process light..

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Does it need 2 usb ports(one for data , one for power) or just one?
I think WD passport 120GB needed two.
If that's the case, then I can't buy it as I won't be able to spare two ports just for that.

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
It requires only one usb port. Thats the most advantageous part. Nothing to carry along with it. Get a good pouch for it. It is very glossy and shiny and is very scratch-prone. I realised it too late. And it uses a universal mini USB cable. The one that comes with the WD is very short. So I use my phone's MiniUSB cable. :)

swatkat

Technomancer
You may also want to check out Seagate FreeAgent Go 250. It's a 250GB portable harddrive, costs around Rs.4800 (according to this month's PCWorld mag).
*www.techgadgets.in/storage/2008/06...reme-external-hard-drives-available-in-india/

noworry

Right off the assembly line
Please have a look at the ebay's lowest price challenge...

*shopping.ebay.in/promotion/epc/?_qi=RTM480590

Transcend 160 GB is Rs.3200/- with free shipping, 2 yrs warranty.

I bought a Transcend 320 GB. I am getting a lightning fast write speed of 25 to 30 MB/s and I am loving it.
It doesn't need a cover as its outer finish is scratch proof (and I very much like the touch & feel of it)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Does it need 2 usb ports(one for data , one for power) or just one?
I think WD passport 120GB needed two.
If that's the case, then I can't buy it as I won't be able to spare two ports just for that.

well, ONLY external HDDs over the size of 320GB or 500 GB need an external power cord and tat too IS NOT a USB powered but a real power cord.. :)

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
^^Don't want to spend more than Rs.3500

If you can stretch a little bit to 4k, I have two suggestions.

These prices are from eBay including taxes and shipping.

1. WD Passport 250GB - Rs.4,550
2. Maxtor Basics 500GB - Rs.4,447

The advantage with WD is it is portable, works off a USB port and is stylish.
The disadvantage with maxtor is that it needs AC power, and is not so portable.

And by the way, I said 4k right? That is, after you apply a 10% discount voucher. :)
If you are an eBay member, you are definitely going to get one.

If your budget is strictly Rs.3500, i couldn't find a better price for a 160 gb WD passport than Rs.3,480 online at least.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
2 prevent it from scratch it should need to be kept very carefully....are there any accessories...like pouch,handbag....etc...and wat r its prices???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom