Please rate my PC Case Modification..

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya1987

Extheist
This is my first PC Case Modification. It costed me only Rs 100. The cabinet used here is iBall.

Here is the picture:-

*img83.imageshack.us/img83/9545/dscn09055gg.th.jpg

First of all i took my iBall cabinet's side panel to local cooler maker shop. And asked him to cut it in the shape as you can see. He cut it with a saw. He took 30 bucks for cutting.

The I went to glass shop to buy the glass for the side panel. The shopkeeper cut the glass in proper shop. The glass costed me 25 bucks.

After that I went to electronic shop to buy some blue, green, red, and white L.E.D. lights (three each colour) 2x12=24 bucks.

Then fixed the glass to the panel with electrical tape. That's it the side panel was complete.

Then I connected the the L.E.D lights (three of each colour) in parallel to the molex connector. But the white and red became very hot in few minutes and also green colour statred heating and became red but I disconnected it. I used the three green L.E.D. in series with 3Kv resistor but the light was very dim so I rejected red, green and white L.E.D's But the blue colour light worked perfectly without any resistor. I placed them in proper position inside the cabinet.

And this way my PC CABINET MODIFICATION was complete..

BUT::::I have a problem, The blue L.E.D light does not glow as brightly as I expected. Could anyone please suggest me any other type of L.E.D light.

Please post your comments.......

Last edited:
OP
aditya1987

aditya1987

Extheist
samrulez said:
Nice...good work..can u specify what did u actually do??

Thanks for your feedback!

First of all i took my iBall cabinet's side panel to local cooler maker shop. And asked him to cut it in the shape as you can see. He cut it with a saw. He took 30 bucks for cutting.

The I went to glass shop to buy the glass for the side panel. The shopkeeper cut the glass in proper shop. The glass costed me 25 bucks.

After that I went to electronic shop to buy some blue, green, red, and white L.E.D. lights (three each colour) 2x12=24 bucks.

Then fixed the glass to the panel with electrical tape. That's it the side panel was complete.

Then I connected the the L.E.D lights (three of each colour) in parallel to the molex connector. But the white and red became very hot in few minutes and also green colour statred heating and became red but I disconnected it. I used the three green L.E.D. in series with 3Kv resistor but the light was very dim so I rejected red, green and white L.E.D's But the blue colour light worked perfectly without any resistor. I placed them in proper position inside the cabinet.

And this way my PC CABINET MODIFICATION was complete..

BUT::::I have a problem, The blue L.E.D light does not glow as brightly as I expected. Could anyone please suggest me any other type of L.E.D light.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
well which rail did u connect the LEDs to
i am assuming 5v

an LED's running voltage is 3v so connect two LEDs in series to the 5v rail

or 4 LEDs to the 12v rail...
it will give a better result. if the LEDs are becoming hot then it means they are over voltaged... so u need to add proper resisters according to the LED and its color.

Alse the Rs 2 LEDs u got are the simple ones.. get the extra bright ones.. they will be costlier at around 10rs each. also big 10mm leds are also available..

OP
aditya1987

aditya1987

Extheist
Rollercoaster said:
well which rail did u connect the LEDs to
i am assuming 5v

an LED's running voltage is 3v so connect two LEDs in series to the 5v rail

or 4 LEDs to the 12v rail...
it will give a better result. if the LEDs are becoming hot then it means they are over voltaged... so u need to add proper resisters according to the LED and its color.

Alse the Rs 2 LEDs u got are the simple ones.. get the extra bright ones.. they will be costlier at around 10rs each. also big 10mm leds are also available..

I connected the L.E.D's to yellow and red wires of molex.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
No!! that is wrong
RED wire 12v
Yellow Wire 5v
Black wires Ground.

so if u connect between the 12v and 5v rails thenu get a affective voltage potential of 7v
thus u have no good combination to connect LEDS... ie if u connect 2 LEDS then the req voltage is 6v so they are over voltaged and if u connect 3 LEDs then the req voltage is 9v that is under voltage and they will be DIM.

COnnect to either the yellow and black(2LEDS) or Red and black(4LEDs) rails for best results.
ANd please be aware the LEDs do not produce light via HEAT so if they are hot to touch or u can see a yellow bright part in themiddle then they are over voltaged.

And rememebr a very basic thing.. that resisters dont drop the potential but the current. for eg. if u connect one LED and one Resistor in series to 12v rail then the effective voltage at the led pins is still 12v. so u either need to use a voltage regulator or add potential.(this can be done by adding more LEDs or Diodes).

oK. Kool

EDIT: i just noticed the 3Kv resistor.. 3Kv???? dude I hope u ment 3Kohms or mate u are a -gone-case- in electronics. :)
man Kv means kilo volts as in One thousand Volts.. 3Kv=3000volts, and did u know the comp runs at 12v max LOL.
ALso 3Kohms is like 3000ohms that is too much for thia application. it should be in few ohms.
I will give u a good advice. Buy a "Linear Potentiomenter" of about 1Kohms (it is cheap) and attach it in series with a 100ohms resistor to the LEDs. Voila.. u have your own DIMMER of the LEDS. now u can change the brightness anytime.

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
To make it look better use a blur finish glass and add some more lighting...
In this way the light will be quite uniform..

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
1 more query..
What did u do of the prescott duct?
Well if u did away with it then,what is ur system overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom